VGuitarForums Upgrade!

Started by admin_shawnb, May 15, 2022, 07:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philjynx

It's there a way to mark a topic so that it doesn't show up in recent posts? If there was a topic/thread (I'm having difficulty finding the right word here) that deals with a gizmo you don't have and have no interest in, is there a way to have it left out of recent posts?

Dalai_llama

Quote from: admin_shawnb on May 21, 2022, 01:25:05 PMAre they "topic starter" topics?

Yes. So that must be the reason.

Thanks for your help.

admin_shawnb

Quote from: philjynx on May 21, 2022, 02:35:30 PMIt's there a way to mark a topic so that it doesn't show up in recent posts? If there was a topic/thread (I'm having difficulty finding the right word here) that deals with a gizmo you don't have and have no interest in, is there a way to have it left out of recent posts?

There is a feature to ignore boards, which I just enabled.  You'll find it under your profile menu.

It will stop sending you "New" indicators, and it will exclude those boards from the "Unread Posts" list.  I do not think it excludes items from "Recent Posts", which is kind of an audit of all recent posts, though.  Worth trying.

Caution: Ignoring boards for gear you do not own will decrease GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), improve your finances, and also reduce friction with significant others over finances. Clearly not advised.

admin_shawnb

Quote from: philjynx on May 18, 2022, 12:16:49 AMMy thoughts on navigation - (particularly on a wide desktop monitor).
The layout forces a lot of mouse movement to select different options (first picture).
The second picture is a suggested alternative layout - adding a 'Recent' buttton.

We were able to accomplish a lot of that with a couple minor tweaks to the existing config.  Hope it helps!

Nobulusprime

It would be good to see my new liked posts and also to display total liked posts - do you think that functionality will return?

admin_shawnb

Quote from: Nobulusprime on May 22, 2022, 01:18:52 PMIt would be good to see my new liked posts and also to display total liked posts - do you think that functionality will return?

The reports we have at this time are the "Posts I Liked" list, visible on your profile:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=mylikedcontent

And the overall stats, partway down the stats page:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=stats

There may be more coming, but this is what we have now.

admin_shawnb

Quote from: admin on May 16, 2022, 01:47:35 PMAgreed

Just wish there was a hyper link at top of page

OK - put a "Recent Posts" up top on both the main theme and the new dark theme.

kenact

Search observation.

Previously, the default search option was to be able to search within the particular board you were looking at. It now seems the default is to search the entire forum, and if you want to narrow it down to a single board, it looks like you have manually uncheck the hundreds of boards you don't want to search in.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

admin

Quote from: kenact on June 07, 2022, 01:30:29 PMSearch observation.

Previously, the default search option was to be able to search within the particular board you were looking at. It now seems the default is to search the entire forum, and if you want to narrow it down to a single board, it looks like you have manually uncheck the hundreds of boards you don't want to search in.

I have these options

I click search  "This Topic" to find info on a specific thread

You probably want click search  "This Board" to find info on a specific gear area

shawnb

Yeah, there are two searches.  The advanced search in the main menu, and the quick search at the very top.

Both behave the way they did before.

The quick search is context-sensitive.  If you're on a board, it will default to searching the board.  Same with topics.

BUT...

The real difference, I think, is that you don't have easy access to the quick search on mobile that you had before. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

kenact

Thanks, I was looking at the search under the logo. I wasn't seeing the search above the logo.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

admin

Quote from: kenact on June 07, 2022, 01:55:06 PMThanks, I was looking at the search under the logo. I wasn't seeing the search above the logo.

While Mobile in portrait mode has zero search  bar

Must rotate to Landscape mode to see Search on mobile phone

Paresh

I don't see how to follow a topic in this new format. Am I missing something? thanks.
paresh

shawnb

@Paresh -

On desktop, your options are to the right directly above & below the posts, in the same set of buttons that include "Reply", etc.  The idea is that it shows you what your notification settings are, and you can click on that to change the options.

If you are currently receiving no alerts or emails for that thread, it will say "No Alerts or Emails".  Click on that to change your notifications for that thread. 

If you are receiving emails, it may just say "No Alerts". 

On mobile, those options are under the "User Actions" menu, same location.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Paresh

Got it, thank you Shawn!
paresh

Jumperjazz