VGuitarForums Upgrade!

Started by admin_shawnb, May 15, 2022, 07:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin_shawnb

The VGuitarForums site has been upgraded to the latest version of our forum software, SMF 2.1!

There are LOTS of new features in 2.1, such as likes, mentions, drafts, online notifications, proper timezone support, far better mobile support, etc., etc.  There are also many security & platform enhancements.

For the forum junkies out there, a more complete list of enhancements may be found here:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.1_and_SMF_2.0

Things you might want to look at:
  • One of the biggest differences is the introduction of online alerts, so it is recommended that you review your notification settings.  To do so, click on the profile menu at the upper left (where your name is) & select Notifications.  There you can select which items you want to see real-time vs by email (or not at all!).
  • Since one of the enhancements is proper timezone support, you may want to review your timezone under your profile as well.

pasha811

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

HecticArt

Thank you for the upgrade!
I appreciate all of the work that you guys put into taking care of this forum.

Another donation for the cause is on the way!

Nobulusprime

Looks a lot cleaner. Shame that the likes notifications has gone from the profile and post pages

admin_shawnb

Quote from: Nobulusprime on May 15, 2022, 02:32:00 PMLooks a lot cleaner. Shame that the likes notifications has gone from the profile and post pages

Yep. In 2.0, likes was a plugin, and that plugin came with a couple of statistics pages.

In the latest version of SMF, the good news is that likes are built-in, and tied into the notification system, etc.  But no stats pages.  They *may* come back.  We'll see...

kenact

I was a little surprised to see the updated site. I don't recall seeing any notice that an update was pending, but I appreciate the work all of you put into keeping the site updated and running.

One thing that seems to be missing, unless I'm just overlooking something, is the responses to topics I'm watching. Is that now "Updated Topics"? I'll assume I will still get the email notifications, but sometimes email notices get lost in the shuffle.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

gumbo

Thank you Shawn, for all the obvious work behind the scenes in pulling this off...most appreciated !

One teeny (?) question.....where do I find my bookmarks... ?

Cheers,
Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

philjynx

Quote from: gumbo on May 16, 2022, 01:20:35 AM...
One teeny (?) question.....where do I find my bookmarks... ?

I can't see anywhere to create bookmarks either :(

Adonf

Egsolidbody French Kit SM-DC Deluxe
Roland Gr 55
Line 6 Ux1
Soundcraft EPM8
katana MK2 100
Marshall Valvelstate 80v
Prs se Santana 2002
Focales Alpha 50

chrish

Quote from: kenact on May 15, 2022, 04:24:22 PMI was a little surprised to see the updated site. I don't recall seeing any notice that an update was pending, but I appreciate the work all of you put into keeping the site updated and running.

One thing that seems to be missing, unless I'm just overlooking something, is the responses to topics I'm watching. Is that now "Updated Topics"? I'll assume I will still get the email notifications, but sometimes email notices get lost in the shuffle.
testing to see if you were notified of this quote.

There was mention of this upgrade in a thread where we were discussing accidentally hitting the "spite" button while scrolling down a page. Shawn said that button feature would be gone in new edition. Yay, Thanks!

kenact

Quote from: chrish on May 16, 2022, 06:05:35 AMtesting to see if you were notified of this quote.

There was mention of this upgrade in a thread where we were discussing accidentally hitting the "spite" button while scrolling down a page. Shawn said that button feature would be gone in new edition. Yay, Thanks!

I was not. The last email notification I received was on 5/14, about Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

Well the new upgrade gets me outta here a lot quicker as the most recent posts are nowhere to be seen. It does look a lot cleaner though.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

shawnb

Quote from: alexmcginness on May 16, 2022, 11:03:24 AMWhere do ya find those?

"Updated Topics" is a link way up at the top, under the logo.  Right next to "Unread Posts".  On the desktop, it's over to the right. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

Quote from: philjynx on May 16, 2022, 03:46:15 AMI can't see anywhere to create bookmarks either :(

I'll check to see if there is a way to resurrect the Bookmarks feature.

admin

Quote from: alexmcginness on May 16, 2022, 11:42:57 AMWell the new upgrade gets me outta here a lot quicker as the most recent posts are nowhere to be seen. It does look a lot cleaner though.

Click the RECENT icon graphic left of the word RECENT at bottom left of page takes you here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=recent

It's the one URL I use 5 times a day

admin_shawnb

All -

Unread Posts & Updated Topics are up at the top, just underneath the logo. 

On the desktop, it's to the right. 

Maybe a pic will help:

admin_shawnb

OK, I was able to get some of the old "Likes" functionality back.  On your profile menu, you will now see an entry for "Posts I Liked", that will provide a lists of posts you liked.

I was also able to find a Bookmarks mod (plugin) similar to our old one, and migrate old bookmarks into it.  That will also be found on your profile menu, under "My Bookmarks".

The primary difference between the new & old bookmarks is that the new one allows you to bookmark individual messages (via the little green heart you will start seeing...) where the old one was tied to entire topics.  When migrating the old bookmarks over, I just used the first message in each topic. 

admin

Quote from: admin_shawnb on May 16, 2022, 01:32:30 PMAll -

Unread Posts & Updated Topics are up at the top, just underneath the logo. 

On the desktop, it's to the right. 

Maybe a pic will help:

But none are equivalent to this

Recent allows me to see 10 pages of ALL RECENT POSTS - including those I've already read - which I'm happy to still see

admin_shawnb

Quote from: admin on May 16, 2022, 01:41:28 PMBut none are equivalent to this

Recent allows me to see 10 pages of ALL RECENT POSTS - including those I've already read - which I'm happy to still see

The "Recent Posts" link still works:

And it is found in its same old location as before, at the bottom of the forum home screen, just click on "Recent Posts":

admin

Quote from: admin_shawnb on May 16, 2022, 01:45:04 PMThe "Recent Posts" link still works:

And it is found in its same old location as before, at the bottom of the forum home screen, just click on "Recent Posts":

Agreed

Just wish there was a hyper link at top of page

philjynx

Quote from: admin on May 16, 2022, 01:47:35 PMAgreed

Just wish there was a hyper link at top of page
I've put a bookmark submenu in my browser toolbar, called VGuitar, with my most frequently used links. Since that follows me on any device I use, it acts like an extension of the site. Also means that if I just want a quick look at the most recent posts, it's just a click away.

gumbo

A BIG thank you, Shawn, for being able and taking the time to migrate the Bookmarks.....that has saved me HEAPS !   :-*

Kind regards,
Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

Oh my gosh!   What an update.   Now I have to figure out all of the changes.  Bravo.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.