GT1000 - Master EQ-Settings - Hi/Low-Cut vs. Hi/Lo-Gain

Started by Boisdelac, May 12, 2022, 12:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boisdelac

Hi....

I am a little bit confused concerning the Master-EQ. Maybe someone could answer my questions.

At what frequencies do the Lo-Gain and Hi-Gain controls work?
Are these controls independent of the low cut and hi cut?

Assuming the Hi-Gain controls frequencies above10 Khz. Does Hi-Gain do anything when the hi-cut is set to 5kHz?

Have a nice day!

benifin

Hi Boisdelac !

The " Low Gain "  DB rotary  increases or decreases, by whole DB increments,  only the pre-selected " Low Cut "  Frequency.

The " High Gain " DB rotary  increases or decreases, by whole DB increments,  only the pre-selected " High Cut "  Frequency.

All the best,
Ben

Boisdelac

Hi benifin

Then maybe the word "cut" (in Hi/Lo-Cut) is the wrong term.

If something is cut, it's gone. How can you increase something that is gone?

admin

Quote from: Boisdelac on May 12, 2022, 07:48:45 AM
Hi benifin

Then maybe the word "cut" (in Hi/Lo-Cut) is the wrong term.

If something is cut, it's gone. How can you increase something that is gone?

The entire audio engineering field world wide refers to adjusting frequency response with variable EQ as "Boost" to raise gain, and "Cut" to lower gain

Then there's shelf EQ too.

Learn about all these concepts here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=641.0

admin

Quote from: Boisdelac on May 12, 2022, 12:03:52 AM
Hi....

I am a little confused concerning the Master-EQ. Maybe someone could answer my questions.

Assuming the Hi-Gain controls frequencies above10 Khz. Does Hi-Gain do anything when the hi-cut is set to 5kHz?

Have a nice day!

Using free third party frequency analyzer app/plugin and a free  pink noise generater,  it's never been easier for anyone to determine what those frequencies are

Room EQ Wizard
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32609.0

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Boisdelac on May 12, 2022, 12:03:52 AM
Hi....

I am a little confused concerning the Master-EQ. Maybe someone could answer my questions.

Have a nice day!

I haven't checked in my unit but in general LO gain and Hi gain should have nothing to to with the low and high cut.

And depending on the slope of the high gain frequency boost (and the "peak" frequency) , it might go down to or below 5kHz.
(And the high cut / low pass filter has a slope to, meaning that it goes above 5kHz a bit , depending on the slope)

But Boss might have a different approach..

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumtown

Here is a graphical representation on my take of the Boss Parametric EQ
The High Gain and Low Gain are quite broad in range, centered around 500Hz with a linear gain to the ends,
so with more Hi/Lo cut, you get less overall Hi/Lo gain.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Boisdelac

Hi Gumtown,

Your picture seems to be from GT100?

Does that mean that the hi-cut represents the center frequency of the hi filter and hi-gain represents the gain of the hi filter... you can increase or decrease the signal strength from this center frequency and above. Lo-cut visa versa....

Or is hi/low cut independent of hi/lo gain?
In this case, at what frequency does the amplification start? How steep are these filters?

Boisdelac

I just received an answer via email from Roland Backstage .....

Hi/Lo cut and Lo/Hi gain are not directly related. However, since Hi/Lo-Cut can be set arbitrarily, it is of course possible that these overlap with Lo/Hi-Gain or, depending on the configuration, have no effect on the sound.

plexified

Gumtowns input and graphic is awesome. You can see the freq curve, but did you also notice the bold horiontal centerline indicating 0 db gain?

I would remember Gain Staging. If your using a Mixing board for example, and your gain staging is proper ( highest peaks only barely clip ) while you reduce gain your loosing your perfect set up. Now considering what BOSS said, IF you reduce a particular frequency, it MAY or MAY NOT Drop your Global Gain (Staging).

So, you can listen for volume drop or gain loss. If you have a meter or a meter keep an eye out for changes.

For me the gain staging is everything to get these modeling units to sound good. Proper gain staging gives you the full dynamics and that can make things come alive.

Boisdelac

There's nothing concerning gain stageing in the Info from Roland backstage.  I think the info was about...if you set high cut lower than the high gain frequency, high gain does not have no influence any more. Also, if you set low cut above low gain frequency, lo gain does not have any influence.

gumtown

that is fairly much it !!
but rather than say the gain has "no" influence, I would say the gain has "less" influence, the more the ends are cut.

You can look at the Low Cut as being a "Hi Pass Filter", and the High Cut as being a "Low Pass Filter",
 and the Low/High Gain as Bass & Treble controls.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Dewdman42

did anyone determine what the center frequencies are for the LOW and HI gain controls?  I personally would have presumed the LOWCUT and HIGHCUT to be entirely seperate, with most likely a -12db/octave filter applied at each end based on the frequency selected.  Well that is a good question, does anyone know if its -12db/octave.

And the LOW and HI gain knobs have no ability to set the frequency nor the Q, so does anyone know what they are doing?

admin

Quote from: Dewdman42 on June 24, 2022, 12:41:01 PMdid anyone determine what the center frequencies are for the LOW and HI gain controls?  I personally would have presumed the LOWCUT and HIGHCUT to be entirely seperate, with most likely a -12db/octave filter applied at each end based on the frequency selected.  Well that is a good question, does anyone know if its -12db/octave.

And the LOW and HI gain knobs have no ability to set the frequency nor the Q, so does anyone know what they are doing?

Run pink noise and use free Room Eq Wizard app to determine what you seek

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32609.0