GP-10 Drivers for Guitar to midi

Started by Bad overman, March 23, 2022, 07:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad overman

Since I started tinkering with guitar to midi about 2 years ago, I've mainly been using a Sonuus g2m, along with a 'midi channel stacking feature' on my sequencer to obtain some incredibly massive and well-tracking outputs, which although technically monophonic, are remarkably effective emulations of polyphonic overtones - as the stacked synths play paraphonically, cyclically, and in pre-selected intervals between synths, blending with some fantastic semi-modular fx chains working on my basic guitar tone along the synth choir backups.

As a hardcore hardheaded hardware nut, except for some very basic and unavoidable necessities, I've had very little interest in using computers, daw's or vst's for my audio work. I have a Fishman Connect on my Fender 'Malmsteen' Strat, which is still finicky, but improving, as I keep learning from fine-tuning the poly patch in the software. As a guitarist I need keep my midi programming to an 'as-needed' level, and streamline the process of how synths being sequenced, morph and play with others being controlled by guitar, as the guitar itself plays alongside. Now I'm  thinking of getting a Boss GP-10+GK-3 for my GoldTop Lawsuit loaded with hot Seymour Duncans. Throughout my research so far I find the unit straightforward to understand and sonically solid, both in what it can do with tuning/pickup/guitar modeling(things I never thought I'd be interested in past my EHX Pitchfork!) up front, or the internal synth engines - too bad you can't use both at once! But if I could play the internal synth in a parallel mix with my pedalboard fx, and other G2M stuff simultaneously, then why not? And if I could get it to send polyphonic midi and play my external synths while it played itself, along with my guitar, then even better!

Now I've read up on the pros and cons of the polyphonic midi performance out of the usb, and it seems to rate quite well, despite being far from perfect it's definitely something I believe one could work with. The main issue seems to be in hosting the usb to midi conversion! So although I would love a non-computer solution any day, like the class compliant gizmo the Connect pickup works so easily with, and since this isn't the case, wouldn't among the available options of a) finding a Primova Sound MidX(kinda rare and overpriced it seems), b) using a raspberry pi thingy(here I'll listen to any advice if someone can recommend where to find a stand alone and affordable unit in this category!), and c) installing a driver on an older Mac OS X and running a usb to usb into the Mac and a usb to midi out and merge with my keyboard controller into my central sequencer, wouldn't c) be the easiest, or what am I missing? I don't wanna spend the $ for an SY-1000+GK-3, simply cause I'm not really all that impressed by it, although the midi out does kinda tempt me :P
"Nothing is true, everything is permissible"
http://badoverman.com/badoverman/BAD_OVERMAN.html

GP-10, SY-300, GK-3, MIDX20,  G2M, Midigal, Pyramid, Hydrasynth, Deepmind 12D, Neutron, D, RD-8, Waldorf Q, Matrix1000, Yamaha AN/DX200, Evolver, Mopho, Future Retro XS, Prophecy, Microfreak, Modal Cycles

Bad overman

GP-10, SY-300, GK-3, MIDX20,  G2M, Midigal, Pyramid, Hydrasynth, Deepmind 12D, Neutron, D, RD-8, Waldorf Q, Matrix1000, Yamaha AN/DX200, Evolver, Mopho, Future Retro XS, Prophecy, Microfreak, Modal Cycles

pasha811

I have a GP10 and a Raspberry 3B. You can find my posts in the GP10 section.
It's a pretty straight forward thing to obtain and the post from Bluesbird is very useful. If you sum up the required hw is not that expensive. It comes with a little more latency though, when compared with my VG99 midi out to Roland JV1010. I won't use the GP10 and raspberry combo to feed a vst because in that case you would need an additional midi interface to reach your computer, making the latency add up. I have tested it and even in the vst case it's bearable but not for fast phrases. In that case the preferred setup should be midi out din (VG99/SY1000) to synth hw module via midi cable or using USB into DAW (Beware GP10/VG99 might have no drivers for modern os)

I am also a user of Midi Guitar 2 and I am impressed by the playability you can reach with it after proper setup and without a GK. Actually I am using all of the methods described, depending on the needs. A lot of fun awaits you!

Enjoy!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Bad overman

Thanks for the input, I'll have a look. As of now, I might try usb from GP-10 to my aging MacBook - the Roland site seems to have my OS X covered - and then make a first attempt to convert to midi using an old M-audio uno cable; if unsuccessful, it seems the Boss UM-one would be a proper substitute. I use a 5-way midi switch to select which controller I send in to my sequencer: keyboard/G2M/Fishman Connect.. and soon probably GT-10. By simply selecting a midi channel on my sequencer I can control any synth or drum machine with keyboard or guitar, and record the midi notes and whatever else is modulating the note parameters.

But the thing I'm most interested in now, is how I'm going to setup enough signals out of my guitar to maintain my current routing, and insert the GP-10 in order to maximise the signal chains for guitar audio and midi control! As it stands, my guitar signal goes through a boost and comp section, then into an Y switch with one signal going into other dedicated synthy guitar(EHX micro synth, Parasit Arcadiator) and dirt pedals, as the 2nd signal bypasses the guitar pedals and goes to a matrix mixer which sends it and/or mixer fx sends (which mix my synths), to 4 chains of fx in parallel. It also sends the audio in for the G2M to trigger synths. The dedicated guitar pedalboard signal is mixed down with any other fx chain outputs, split, and powered by 2 amps. But with the GP-10 up front, I'd like to try mixing my guitar pickup signal along with the modelled or detuned GK-3 signal, and then run into the pedalboard. I can then use the mixed signal as I do my normal setup, but when I switch to the GP-10 synth patches, I'd need to send the GP-10 output to the mixdown of all guitar signals, and to the matrix mixer to add additional fx chains, while some other splitter cable from the guitar runs through the pedalboard and additional pedal chains as well. I could still use either the G2M or the usb to midi from the GP-10 to control other synths while it played it's internal synth. Anyway, that's the rough design theory so far, let's see how it pans out in practice, I'm sure there'll be modifications required. I have an extra Boss LS-2 and a couple of mono splitter cables, so I think it'll get sorted eventually! ???

Bad overman

Quote from: pasha811 on March 23, 2022, 10:53:22 PM
I have a GP10 and a Raspberry 3B. You can find my posts in the GP10 section.
It's a pretty straight forward thing to obtain and the post from Bluesbird is very useful. If you sum up the required hw is not that expensive. It comes with a little more latency though, when compared with my VG99 midi out to Roland JV1010. I won't use the GP10 and raspberry combo to feed a vst because in that case you would need an additional midi interface to reach your computer, making the latency add up. I have tested it and even in the vst case it's bearable but not for fast phrases. In that case the preferred setup should be midi out din (VG99/SY1000) to synth hw module via midi cable or using USB into DAW (Beware GP10/VG99 might have no drivers for modern os)

I am also a user of Midi Guitar 2 and I am impressed by the playability you can reach with it after proper setup and without a GK. Actually I am using all of the methods described, depending on the needs. A lot of fun awaits you!

Enjoy!

Is this what I'd need to buy for a stand alone use without a computer? Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Board https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LPLPBS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ST94NYHRSWWZK1P4M01E

pasha811

It's the one I am using. All ports are usb 2.0 and 1 GB RAM is plenty for what you need (using the CLI). The chip crunch is taking its toll..I see prices are really up.  Compare the Raspberry pi 4 with 2GB or 4GB RAM.
It's a pity prices are sky rocketing. I paid less than 100 euros for a Raspberry 4 8GB RAM an year ago!

In any case the one selected is the one. A robust 5V mobile phone adapter (3A) should work. I use the one that came with LGQ60 and no problem at all.

Cheers
Paolo
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Bad overman

Thanks! Yea there are recommendations from the main site listing local sellers with decent prices but they're outta stock  :-[ .. got some other gear on the chopping block so maybe it'll help if I can sell it off ::) :-\