NUX Mighty Plug Pro

Started by admin, March 18, 2022, 08:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

OFFICIAL NUX MIGHTY app (IOS/ANDROID)
- latest version now supports the upcoming
NUX MIGHTY PLUG PRO
In other news we are weeks away from a new NUX Mighty Plug Pro, which supports loading third party CAB IR

QuoteFrom an Italian forum:

"Meanwhile, the latest update (V2) spoiled the arrival of a new version: the Nux Mighty Plug Pro, among the first additional features there will be the possibility to load customized IR (up to 20 free slots), new effects, Drum Machine with 70 new patterns divided into 10 genres, the ability to program the change of effects while playing on a track and an enhancement of the Bluetooth and recording functions, as well as being able to use all the effects on both bass and guitar. Most of these are almost all the functions present on the Mightier app, the tuner is still hidden and it is not clear whether Bluetooth can be used to record on smartphones."

The existing NUX Mighty Plug can load third party CAB IR using Tuntori's "Mightier Amp" Android app

nacho1000

Sorry. I fail to understand this post. Can you please make it more explanatory?

What is exactly Mighty Plug Pro? Is it a new app to work with the same Mighty Plug mp-2?

Thanks for any clarification.

admin

Quote from: nacho1000 on March 21, 2022, 04:41:46 AM
Sorry. I fail to understand this post. Can you please make it more explanatory?

What is exactly Mighty Plug Pro? Is it a new app to work with the same Mighty Plug mp-2?

Thanks for any clarification.

It's new  hardware. Shipping soon

, the app which it will employ revealed its existence

Currently under FCC Compliance testing
https://fccid.io/2AOAA

admin

Currently under FCC testing

https://fccid.io/2AOAA

Due in USA June 2022

admin

I got one, so far this is very nice, much better than the original Mighty Plug
Has volume level controls , and much better headphone drive amp
Has a cool TRRS jack that accepts common stereo Headet with Mic - to make USB Audio demos to your tablet with guitar and vocals

The CAB IR function is good too .
Can change order of any FX

Full review soon

See all Nux Mighty  Plug Pro app control screens here
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1SP4y1u7RZ/

MikeSRC

Quote from: admin on June 13, 2022, 11:48:30 PMI got one, so far this is very nice, much better than the original Mighty Plug

Sounds good.  Any word on the release date and pricing?

Mrchevy

This looks like I might have to have one. Seems to offer a good bit more features compared to Waza Air headphones, minus needing wired headphones but....

(Long but very thorough)

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

mchad

Mrchevy

So I finally picked one up a couple of days ago. Still working through it to give a fair review of it. The manual is junk. Aside from the translation, it lacks any instruction on some features, aka, how to load custom backing tracks etc.. The pedal guy appears to be the US spokes person for nux, but his videos seem to skip over some small but important details about some features. The unit is not that robust so after 5 months after release, you would think everything has been covered.

I'm looking to compare to the Boss Waza Air, which I have had for a couple of years now. Once I learn all the features of the MPP, I'll post a MPP vs Waza Air review. Steve, you said you got one early on.... whats your thoughts?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

I hate threads that leave you hanging so I guess I'll update my experience with the Nux Mighty plug pro. I couldn't get custom backing tracks to load into the app. I've seen it done, but I couldn't get it to work. I could play backing tracks and jam with them, but couldn't load in the app so I could use the "preset change automation feature. THIS is the ONLY thing that Waza Air Headphones is missing in my opinion. Otherwise my overall thought on the Nux MPP is you get what you pay for, and it's basically a toy. Wasn't impressed with much of anything about it, but thats just my humble opinion. That is all, carry on.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

admin

My Mighty Plug Pro has a high pitched whine on all presets that is not defeatable - spoils the fun.

For my needs as an Android user the Boss Pocket GT is a tremendous upgrade
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35507.0

Chumly

Is it the case that all Mighty Plug Pro units have this high pitched whine?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

admin

Yes-  non existent on normal Mighty Plug or Mighty Air

Chumly

That's unfortunate and I'm disappointed that NUX would release such a noticeably defective product.

It's peculiar that (on Amazon at least) most reviewers have not mentioned this problem, which make me wonder if it's only with some some units, or if many reviewers have severe high frequency hearing loss, or if the Amazon reviews have been gamed.

See here https://www.amazon.com/NUX-Headphone-Various-Effects-Modeling/dp/B07B3GCHPC#customerReviews
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

Quote from: Chumly on February 21, 2023, 09:33:54 AMThat's unfortunate and I'm disappointed that NUX would release such a noticeably defective product.

It's peculiar that (on Amazon at least) most reviewers have not mentioned this problem, which make me wonder if it's only with some some units, and/or if many reviewers have severe high frequency hearing loss, and/or if the Amazon reviews have been gamed.

See here https://www.amazon.com/NUX-Headphone-Various-Effects-Modeling/dp/B07B3GCHPC#customerReviews

admin

I figure everybody is unique and has different experiences,  expectations and hearing quality

My Pocket GT under $125 is my favorite and much higher quality tones vs NUX , even MG-30 - makes me re-explore my Boss GT-1 ( same DSP, same FX as Pocket GT

Chumly

admin

Pocket GT was $99 at Sweetwater all of November/December 2022

Current retail is $129.99USD
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PocketGT--boss-pocket-gt-pocket-effects-processor

I paid $180 for my GT-1 new in 2016

Pocket GT is not worth $250

Chumly

I tried purchasing the Roland Neova ring midi controller and a few other items from US big box stores during blowout sales, but more often than not, as soon as the retailer discovers it's shipping to Canada they tell me that they do not have sales jurisdiction (or words to that effect).  Also shipping / brokerage charges (not duties) sometimes become excessive turning what appears to a good deal into one that really isn't.

I can use a temporary US mailbox to alleviate some of these concerns, and that has worked, but it only makes practical sense if the total costs and thus potential savings are much higher.

admin

Quote from: Chumly on February 21, 2023, 09:33:54 AMThat's unfortunate and I'm disappointed that NUX would release such a noticeably defective product.

It's peculiar that (on Amazon at least) most reviewers have not mentioned this problem, which make me wonder if it's only with some some units, or if many reviewers have severe high frequency hearing loss, or if the Amazon reviews have been gamed.

Recent Amazon Review

Amazon Review
QuoteFrom the United States

1.0 out of 5 stars Produces a high pitched ringing noise at all times, making it terrible. Other design issues.
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on February 12, 2023
Verified Purchase
On the GearPage forum thread for this product (look up Mighty Plug Pro GearPage on Google), there are multiple others experiencing the same issue with the high pitched ringing noise (or whine). As well as some people on the Facebook group. It makes it unusable as it is loud enough to be evidently heard at all times, about as loud as an open string.

Other than the high pitched whine it is not supposed to make (even when all amps and fx are disabled), it has other problems with its design which I will describe.

First, It doesn't have a flush fit with the 1/4" input on any of my guitars, and makes an annoying scratching noise because of this whenever it moves around, which it always will because of its weight and form factor (unless you duct tape it in place, but even then it still does some). This causes a ton of extraneous noise and also makes it impossible to use as a multifx input that goes from the guitar into an amp as well (don't even bother trying to use a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter, it will just be even worse)...

Second, the same happens for the headset port as well, tends to scratch a lot and cause a lot of excess noise because its not a good flush fit with any of my headphones.

The headphone port also doesn't allow a full fit for TRRS headset cables (3.5mm) to go all the way in, because the plastic opening near the port is angled (hard to describe with words, but the point stands the headset port definitely isn't well designed). This means that some headsets cable simply won't go all the way into the port and thus you can't use the mic on them, and they're more likely to pop out, and again causes a lot of NOISE.

The ability to "stream" with it is overblown as well, I tried getting it to work with multiple streaming platforms and it doesn't plug and play like that at all. Skype, Zoom, etc none of them worked with it. [If you have dozens of hours to spend troubleshooting, I'm sure you could route it into a DAW and use some audio routing software to route the output of the DAW into Zoom, but it is NOT plug and play into screaming software by any means).]

Worst part of all is that the seller has been unhelpful in honoring the warranty. ("We can offer a replacement but there will be a heavy restocking fee"). I would not recommend going thru this seller at all if you do get one. They only redirected me to NUX who are based.in China and don't care about customer service at all, once they have sold the item.

All and all its a good IDEA for a product, but poorly designed, making it useless. It's a shame becaue some of the amp models and fx seem like they would sound good if it wasn't for all the noise the unit makes, and its design flaws. I would definitely recommend the Mustang Micro over this product as it does most of what the Mighty Plug Pro does minus IR loading and the headset "feature" (which as I described is all but useless).

My counterpoint

Nux Mighty Plug Pro is NOT designed for use with SKYPE, its TRRS Headset / mic connection is intended for USB Recording only

My Mighty Plug Pro exhibits the high pitched whine on any guitar  - spoils the fun.
NUX | Cherub Technology Co.,Ltd
11940 Goldring Rd, Ste C
Arcadia, California USA 91006-6013

in this form factor the Harley Benton DNA FX GitMobile is my current choice
https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_dnafx_git_mobile_bundle.htm

but the Boss Pocket GT under $129 has so many more useable features for my needs. (Voice center cancellation, wired Aux Input , full Android USB recording capability 

Elantric

Elantric

NUX  MightyPlug Pro
USB Settings
Enable LOOPBACK , allows the Drums and Bluetooth Audio streams heard on Mighty Plug Pro Headset Jack to be recorded via USB to any computer. PHONE, Tablet. Mighty  Plug Pro is USB Class Compliant

Enable DRY OUT MODE - Allows MPP to be used as a 24 bit USB AUDIO INTERFACE, for running third party guitar FX ( BIAS2, JAMUP PRO, HELIX NATIVE. etc )

Elantric

If your NUX Mighty Plug Pro exhibits high frequency whistle noise all the time, update to latest firmware via Mac/Win NUX DFU Firmware Updater to latest version,  will solve the high frequency hiss heard on early units