Boss GT-6 metal tones

Started by gtr1963, December 18, 2020, 01:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr1963

Hi guys.. I just found this forum and it's a blessing to have found it!! I use the Boss GT-6 currently in my setup and love it!! I got it new in 2000 and have been using it ever since. I like the sounds so much from it, I've opted to not buy upgraded/new floor units.

Anyway, I'm 57, my younger years were playing 80's type metal(Racer X, Dokken, etc.) I knew getting this pedal back then that it would take a herculean effort to learn and program. Fortunately, getting TianJay's Boss GT-6 DVD helped immensely. I can't recommend it enough. I wanted to spend more time playing than programming my gt6, and once I got the patches I wanted, I've pretty much done that.

My main patch is using the Fender Twin Preamp with Metal Zone distortion. The GT6 metal zone distortion is good, but I have since gotten the Waza Metal Zone pedal and inserted in the GT6 via the external effects jacks. It makes a world of difference as the pedal has more parameters to tweak than the Boss Metal Zone distortion setting on GT6. I also have a Dunlop WAH connected so that I can use the expression pedal solely as a volume pedal. I set up my gt6 to have the ctrl pedal turn on the different pedals like chorus, delay, etc.  Let me say that this pedal can do metal very good!! I'm running stereo out from my GT 6 to a Marshall JCM 900 head(with 4x12 cab) and JCM 2000 DSL head (with 4x12) cab. I'm using a GT-6 preset delay that gives my stereo setup a huge sound.

My FX1 is using compression and my FX2 is using the sub eq pedal. For added punch(as if I needed it..lol) I'm running a BBE 362 into the effects loop of my JCM 900. The 900 responds extremely well to the 362. My 2000 dsl head doesn't need it.  Since I'm using the effects loop of the 900, I have to go straight in the front of my 900, but I'm going through the return jack on back of DSL from the GT6. I've seen vids by Ola Englund about using the Boss Metal Zone through the effects loop and it sounds crushing(to me)

So, to sum it up. Yeah I use the GT-6, but a number of different effects add ons(bbe362, WAZA MT-2 pedal, Dunlop WAH) in conjunction with my GT-6 to complete my sound. Would a newer processor like a Kemper or Boss GT 1000 do as well or better? Probably. But I've had the GT-6 for 20 years now and  if I had the GT-1000, I'd still use the fender twin preamp with MT-2 distortion. I wouldn't need cabinet emulation since I'm already going through 2 marshall cabs already, so I would basically be spending $1000 for doing the same setup I have now.

Recording wise, I've gone direct into my computer with the GT-6, but using the line/phones setting gives it a thin harsh sound. I really have to tweak the EQ to get a good sound through my computer. I've since just miked up my marshall cabinets and recorded that way. Old school I know, but it's the only way I can capture in my Studio One software the sound I'm hearing from my cabs. I know nowadays you can use IR's to emulate cabs, what not, but miking my cabs is the same thing. When recording rhythm tracks, I record one amp, then I record the other amp and double track. I then pan left and right the 2 different tracks to fill out the sound. This simulates what I hear when I'm playing as I'm playing through 2 different Marshall amps.

The GT-6 is very versatile and because it's so good in it's sounds, I've not needed to upgrade in 20 years(barring adding the waza mt-2, dunlop wah). One day I might. Who knows. At my age(57), I'm almost past the age of learning new effects processor setups..lol.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group gtr1963!  :)

gumtown

Welcome gtr1963, Many here are well beyond 57 and still buying and learning to use new equipment.
I still have a GT-6 kicking around somewhere.

Reading between the lines, I think you might be wanting to test the waters for something new to try ?
The GT-1000 is very good, and now there is the GT-1000Core, which is still a fully featured GT-1000 in a small stomp sized box.
That and an Expression pedal (or two)  might be a good option to have a look at.

Loads of info here to search up on.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Shingles

I used a GT6 for playing classic metal and hard rock almost 20 years ago.
Yes, it can!

Seems you would like to improve the results you get when recording direct.
When playing through the two Marshall's, what output setting do you use on the GT6?
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

gtr1963

Quote from: Shingles on December 19, 2020, 11:20:31 AM
I used a GT6 for playing classic metal and hard rock almost 20 years ago.
Yes, it can!

Seems you would like to improve the results you get when recording direct.
When playing through the two Marshall's, what output setting do you use on the GT6?

I use the stack amp setting. I've tried all the others, but nothing sounds as good to my ears as that. I know the manual says 'if you're using a stack amp, use the stack amp setting', but with the GT-6, I've learned you use the setting that sounds best regardless of what the setting is named. I've heard on youtube of a guy using the line/phones setting into his computer and his tone was great. I tried that years ago, but it sounded like crap. I've had some success just miking my cabs and recording that(with the stack amp setting). However, the EQ or something will have to be tweaked to get it to sound as good when recording.

Shingles

When recording the GT6 direct, did you pay attention to the speaker simulation settings?
For example:
Speaker SW should be On.
Try different speaker types as the default type with the Fender amps will sound very different to your Marshall cabinets.
Adjust the Mic Setting.
Direct Level should be zero.

Cheers.

Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

gtr1963

Quote from: Shingles on December 22, 2020, 04:27:18 AM
When recording the GT6 direct, did you pay attention to the speaker simulation settings?
For example:
Speaker SW should be On.
Try different speaker types as the default type with the Fender amps will sound very different to your Marshall cabinets.
Adjust the Mic Setting.
Direct Level should be zero.

Cheers.

Thanks!! I'll do this next time I record. My main problem that I don't get a lot of my riffs/playing out on the internet is that I spend so much time practicing, that I don't have time to devote to learning Presonus Studio One to record properly. Getting my Marshalls to sound good with the GT6 is one thing. Getting THAT sound into Studio One(or any DAW) is another.

gtr1963

;D   I'm going to play around with direct recording again using the advice I've gotten from Shingles. Once I get a decent tone/sound, I'll post the clips for ya'll to hear. Last night I played around with miking cabs direct and while it sounded ok(meh sounding) when recording, I think I can tweak that as well to make it sound better.

I copied my metal patch that sounds killer through my marshalls to another user patch that I will use for direct recording. Task now is to tweak the crap out of that copied user patch to get it sound good through my Studio One.

Studio One is supposed to be idiot proof in the recording of instruments, but I've found that it's almost like brain surgery. I don't have a dedicated interface to plug my GT6 into, but I do have a USB 8 channel mixer with stereo channels that I plug my left/right out of my gt6 into. I very well may just use left mono, then double track it and pan left/right to give it a stereo sound.

When I'm happy with it, I'll post it and give the settings.

Thanks,
Andy

gtr1963

I did some recording last night and today. Last night I recorded by miking my 2 marshall cabs and going into my mixing board and into Studio One. Today I went direct into the board and played around with the speaker simulation and output settings to see if I could get a good sound. While the direct out may have sounded good to some, to my ears, it was just not what I envisioned. I come to the conclusion that miking my marshall cabs gives me the best sound I can achieve. Granted, playing through my cabs when I practice/play sounds way better than recording my cabs in studio one, but I can get close to the sound I'm looking for when direct miking.

I know when I record in the future, I'll still need to tweak my GT 6 somewhat when recording cabinet miking to get the sound I'm looking for.  I read through the GT8 Brilliance document and it was a wealth of information. The guy that wrote it also concluded that pushing air/sound through cabinets makes for a better overall sound than direct. I'm guessing nowadays(2020) that the newer effects processors do a better job of direct recording than the older GT 5, GT 6, GT 8, GT 10, etc)
Maybe one day in my future, I'll upgrade to a Boss GT 100, GT 1000 or some newer processor to direct record. For now, the GT6 suffices with practicing, playing live(through my cabs).