Roland FC-300 usb connection - is it possible?

Started by savorocks, February 05, 2022, 02:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savorocks

I was just thinking about how VG-99 and FC-300 are easy to connect via RRC2 port (which both supplies power to FC-300 and transmits data), but, for example, if I want to use FC-300 to control a VST on my PC I need to have midi-in port on my computer (via external sound card, or midi-to-usb adapter etc.) + power supply for FC-300, which is much less convenient.

I was wondering, I couldn't seem to find post about it - Has someone tried to use FC-300's RRC2 port to connect it to a PC?
I suppose we need an adapter that has USB connection on one side, to plug into pc, and then on the other side to have female ethernet port that is PoE (power over ethernet) supported, where we would plug the cable that is coming out from FC-300's RRC2 out port.

Another thing that comes to my mind that may be limiting - FC-300 uses 9v adapters while USB power output is 5v.

Has anyone tried this or thought about it?

P.S. I tried finding adapters online, but I don't think I found exactly what I was looking for: https://www.electronicproducts.com/poe-to-usb-c-adapter-extends-reach-of-usb-type-c-devices/
(adapter from link above seems to be receiving power from ethernet source and then powers on device connected to usb - opposite of what is needed here).

admin

Quote from: savorocks on February 05, 2022, 02:16:26 PM
I was just thinking about how VG-99 and FC-300 are easy to connect via RRC2 port (which both supplies power to FC-300 and transmits data), but, for example, if I want to use FC-300 to control a VST on my PC I need to have midi-in port on my computer (via external sound card, or midi-to-usb adapter etc.) + power supply for FC-300, which is much less convenient.

I was wondering, I couldn't seem to find post about it - Has someone tried to use FC-300's RRC2 port to connect it to a PC?
I suppose we need an adapter that has USB connection on one side, to plug into pc, and then on the other side to have female ethernet port that is PoE (power over ethernet) supported, where we would plug the cable that is coming out from FC-300's RRC2 out port.

Another thing that comes to my mind that may be limiting - FC-300 uses 9v adapters while USB power output is 5v.

Has anyone tried this or thought about it?

P.S. I tried finding adapters online, but I don't think I found exactly what I was looking for: https://www.electronicproducts.com/poe-to-usb-c-adapter-extends-reach-of-usb-type-c-devices/
(adapter from link above seems to be receiving power from ethernet source and then powers on device connected to usb - opposite of what is needed here).

RRC2 to computer no

Install VG-99 USB Driver, then :
Connect FC-300 >RRC2>VG-99>VG-99 USB>Computer

savorocks

Hmm, I wanted to use FC-300 without VG-99 for this purpose, but it's still possible through Midi Out + Power brick

Thanks for quick answer :)

gumtown

the RJ-45 connector on the RCC port is not ethernet.

You are best to use a 9 volt DC adapter, and a USB-Midi adapter (Roland UM-One mk2 is recommended).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/