Does anyone have a Variax with an E string that doesnt sound clanky?

Started by clayman, January 31, 2022, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

I honestly think now, after getting back into this guitar lately, that the biggest issue I have with it is the gross cranky, quacky plinking sound the large E string has in comparison to the other strings.

Ive tried over and over to rearrange and replace piezo elements on it, and it seems better after I replaced it with a new piezo, but it's always there.

The more high end you have in your tone, the more of an issue it becomes. The E string always sounds slightly out of place with the other strings. The Les Paul has a honky sounding E string, the Strat sounds just like the start pickups I have in my 69s, until you pick the E string, which sounds clankier and tinnier than the magnetic pickups.

It seems like it's always been an issue. Even in demos I watch online, you can hear the E string has a bit too much high end when the person plays notes on it.

So why does this happen? Why doesnt Line 6 fix this? Are you telling me that its not supposed to be an issue with the control guitars they used, but every other variax does?

I've swapped out my JTV 69s twice from sweet water when I first ordered it, and I regret it, because I swore the first one didn't have the problem, but I swapped it because when I used a 12 string acoustic on an alt tuning, I heard weird glitches I mistaken for a guitar with a hardware issue. Second guitar I got, I heard the issue again and realized its a program glitch.
I heard the E string be a bit plinky/clanky so I swapped again. The third still sounded clanky but I decided to stay with it for some reason.

Maybe the first guitar I just didnt realize it cause I haven't used it long enough, but I swear it sounded buttery smooth on the e string.

Like I said. I replaced the E string piezo, and it seems like it's gotten a bit better, but it's definitely still there.
I messed with a few new patches I downloaded, like the EMG patch, and it actually sounds killer.

I noticed the firebird (body the emg patch used) strangly enough has the low E string kinda muffled compared to the other strings. It almost sounds normal, but maybe a bit too dark. Why can't Line 6 do this across all the guitars to get rid of the plinking sound?

I just don't understand how this is still an issue. Is it me or do your guitars exhibit this too?
This can't be normal. I know the E string is a little honkier than the rest of the strings on a real guitar, but why is it amplified like x2 on a variax? Again, my SSS pickups sound fine, and then I go to start modeling and the E sounds out of place, too sharp sounding.

admin

Mine work fine , no clank -  surprised how well Variax coupled to Kemper Stage works - vs the cold /stiff Helix

But variax 12 string patches always warble
They are better on Roland VGUITAR Systems IMHO

vtgearhead

Do you hear any fret buzz or mechanical noises when the string is played without amplification?  The piezo pickups are very sensitive and can bring even minor issues to the forefront.

admin

Also if the piezo saddles are not sitting perpendicular (often due to incorrect neck /body angle on JTV-69 = less output and enhanced Clang tones . 

clayman

Quote from: vtgearhead on February 01, 2022, 05:23:14 AM
Do you hear any fret buzz or mechanical noises when the string is played without amplification?  The piezo pickups are very sensitive and can bring even minor issues to the forefront.
I probably could set it up better, but regardless, it's always been there, even before I set the action lower.

I can record an MP3. It's not really like a really really, bad piezo quack, but it still sounds unbalanced. It always has. Idk if that's just like a mild quack, compared to other stuff. The E string just sounds awkwardly too bright and clangy, or honkey, sometimes.

I had it on my 600, I've had it on 2 JTVs, I've swapped the piezos out multiple times to no avail. I tried putting material on top of the piezo and below the string, to try to muffle it, it never really works.

Edit: There was some guy talking about the frequencies where the E string clang lives, and I dialed out that frequency and it sounds normal, so it's definitely clang.
https://line6.com/support/topic/6764-do-you-have-the-same-problem-with-6th-string/?do=findComment&comment=380399

It's not like a chirping noise that you hear from sympathetic frequencies, it's just the E string clanging and having a harsher high end tone to it compared to the other strings. It's easier to mitigate with a darker tone, but anything with high end you can hear the ugly tonal characterizes on the E string.

I'll share some audio clips when I wake up.

Supamazzive

I can only speak for myself... If I'm working in a DAW/ "The Digital Realm", I get good results with a dynamic EQ plugin of one sort or another.  If I'm going straight into the front of an amp I  find it a bit more challenging to take care of. That said, I've had 'ok' results from parametric EQs but the dialing out the plink completely will make the freqs unavailable all the time.  I've found that compromising works best. Isolate the freq(s), narrow the Q, and reduce the gain as much as you can without taking a giant notch out of your tone.

YMMV.

Respectfully,

Sup