Patches for church

Started by JustinH, November 27, 2021, 01:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinH

I've been tweaking some patches to use in church.  It's just me and a piano, so I've been trying various string/organ/pad sounds along with normal guitar.  Our pianist is an extremely accomplished musician, so it is a challenge to play in a way that I'm adding something rather than detract from what she is doing.  I've found that acoustic type guitar sounds often muddy up the sound when playing with piano, so either bright or mellow electric guitar, with or without a pad, seems to work best. 

For slow songs, I will often just play a string/organ/pad sound on the downbeat.  For faster songs, I will combine a pad and normal guitar sound to do some tactful strumming.  I've been playing church music all my life, on piano, guitar, and bass.  I'm moderately skilled, but still learning so much about how to play in an ensemble.  I'm still learning that often very simple chords, arpeggios, or even sustained single notes is the best way to compliment other instruments.

These are a few of the patches that I have found are complimentary when playing along with the piano.  Organs, strings, acoustic guitar, electric guitar sounds.

Most patches are set up so that I can go back and forth between normal guitar pickups, modeled sounds, or combine using the GK switch. 

These were set up using a U.S. made Roland Ready Strat.

Justin

It's also the first time that I've posted patches, so I hope this works.

JustinH

Just got an old Roland JV 1010 midi module.  I use the Sy-1000 to send midi to it, then the JV 1010 output goes to the effects return in the SY-1000, which is placed inline with one of the SY-1000 models.  This way I can use both the SY-1000 sounds and mix in some strings/pads/etc from the JV 1010.  Loving it, except that I need to learn how to program the SY-1000 to select patches in the JV 1010.

Seems to be the best of both worlds, where I can use the synth and models and my own guitar sound, mixed with sounds from the JV 1010 for live performance.

Justin