EHX Intelligent Harmony Machine - New Electro-Harmonix harmonizer/pitch shifter

Started by Yadrichik Chaya, October 29, 2021, 06:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

And typical EHX. zero MIDI Control in 2021 ???

So as I don't play every song in same key, we are forced to bend over between songs to change key /settings- as I don't play every song  in same key, or same  Harmony Interval .
But show me a demonstration of Bad Company "Can't get enough of your love" harmonies, or Thin Lizzy "Boys are back in town", without requiring a third hand to minupulate the interval change control knob mid solo.

So its EHX Semi Intelligent Harmony Machine

and even the competing TC pedal is full Stereo I/O

kevorkian

Quote from: admin on October 29, 2021, 09:26:44 AM
And typical EHX. zero MIDI Control in 2021 ???

So as I don't play every song in same key, we are forced to bend over between songs to change key /settings between songs - and even the competing TC pedal is full Stereo I/O

But show me a demonstration of Bad Company "Can't get enough of your love" harmonies, or Thin Lizzy "Boys are back in town", without requiring a third hand to minupulate the interval change control knob mid solo.

So its EHX Semi Intelligent Harmony Machine

This boggled me as well. It's a great sounding pedal. Dare I say the best of it's kind in terms of sound quality if the demo (and my experience with the Pitch Fork) is any indication. But how would you even begin to adjust this on stage (or even in a dark rehearsal room)?

The lack of an expression pedal jack is also a glaring omission.

I wish that EHX would take a queue from Source Audio and start including MIDI I/O on an 1/8" jack. Seems like the perfect way to maintain the small form factor and still answer these kinds of needs.

I'd bet they eventually come out with a larger version of this pedal but that's actually an unnecessary product in 2021, where you could basically pack all of that functionality into a small form factor pedal with an 1/8" jack and a USB port.

SY.Borg.300

What this pedal needs is a footswitch jack and an accompanying 3 button footswitch that stores presets so you can preset different keys for recall mid song.

alexmcginness

Quote from: SY.Borg.300 on October 29, 2021, 06:20:05 PM
What this pedal needs is a footswitch jack and an accompanying 3 button footswitch that stores presets so you can preset different keys for recall mid song.

That will be on version II. In the meanwhile, I always ask after watching Bills videos, can I do this with my VG-99?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: alexmcginness on October 30, 2021, 08:43:23 AM
. In the meanwhile, I always can I do this with my VG-99?

Yes, and with superior performance and real-time control and can play chords

As well with a GE300, GT1000,  Kemper, or Helix
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/kemper-intelligent-harmonies-thin-lizzy.139378/

But with these caveats
Harmonist is an effect where the amount of shifting is adjusted
according to an analysis of the guitar input, allowing you to create
harmony based on diatonic scales.
* Because of the need to analyze the pitch, chords (two or more
sounds played simultaneously) cannot be played. Be sure to
mute all the other strings and play only one note at a time.
* When you are to play the next string while a certain sound is
still playing, mute the previous sound and then play the next
one with a clear attack. If the unit cannot detect the attack, it
may not sound correctly.
* The sensitivity may vary according to the guitar's TONE knob
and pickup type.

chrish

That was an excellent demo as usual for Bill. I have seen some performers place pedals on a table if they are doing a lot of adjustments to the sound.

The target market is the guitar to pedal to amp crowd who most likely think midi control is too complex to deal with.

Chumly

"That Pedal Show" comes to mind. Those guys seem to have no problems with fiddly gain staging and doodling with the GigRig G2 effects switching system, but after that it's mostly single ended effects pedals.  I did recently buy a used TC Electronic Quintessence Harmonizer for fun and simplicity, I did not have particularly good reason to purchase it though, only that it was local and inexpensive and I was kind'a curious.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

SY.Borg.300

I'd like to have one but I cant see it being in use for more than one or two 20 second solos in one or two songs per gig. And I doubt that anyone but guitar players in the audience will even notice. I think this one has the most natural sound I've heard in a demo though.

Chumly

I'm sure all you guys know that it's one of EHX's main business models to build variations on a one trick pony.  I don't blame them for wanting to not only stay in an exceedingly difficult business, but to maximize their profits while doing so.

It's easy to bitch about their new harmonizer's limitations, but they have been around for many decades, and they continue to make a wide range of superb guitar focused products, single-ended though many are. I own a number of EHX products and I love 'em all.

Their new harmonizer is competitively priced, looks easy to use, and from the demos sounds quite nice.  Of course there are superior ways to provide guitar harmonies and the control for such harmonies, but I do not necessarily think that detracts from this pedal's simple, direct, unintimidating, usefulness.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

billbax

Nice playing by Bill Ruppert and the EHX harmony pedal sounds good. I would be interesting in buying one, but we need a unit that does programmable intervals, and one that sounds like two guitar players...different tones etc...that's a big ask :D

The ultimate harmony guitar trip.  Wishbone Ash: FUBB. Might be a bit strong for those who think Thin Lizzy's harmony guitar parts were sophisticated :(

Green Lantern

From what I saw of the video, this doesn't necessarily seem better than my PS-6 in any really appreciable way, so I'll stick with that. It actually seems worse if it doesn't allow connection for an expression pedal.

Smash

Quote from: alexmcginness on October 30, 2021, 08:43:23 AM
That will be on version II. In the meanwhile, I always ask after watching Bills videos, can I do this with my VG-99?

You're a very naughty boy!   ;D

Bill is truly class in a glass...

aliensporebomb

Yes the 99 will do this stuff.

However, some things I noticed:  Bill's usual elegant fingerings - that's how to play the guitar - minimizing excess motion, really smart movements on the fingerboard.
Sounds great.

And:

His Ibanez RG guitars have eerily mirror polished frets.  Like wow, I want to know his luthier.

And:
As usual, his demos are musically interesting and I await the day he produces some kind of solo record for us to geek out at.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.