GP-10 connection/routing question

Started by Bbender, January 20, 2019, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbender

Hello, I haven't used my GP-10 for years, and to be honest I haven't been using it much at all before that either, so I'm looking for some help/advice here..  This is what I'm hoping to achieve:  I'm using an AX8 going direct and a guitar with a GK-3 pickup, and I would like to use the GP-10 for a few special effects; more specifically the Poly Dist and acoustic guitar sims, and being able to switch (at least almost..) instantly back and forth between the GP-10 sounds and my regular guitar sound through the AX8 (thus bypassing the GP-10).  I would also like to be able to choose if the GP-10 sound should go through the AX8 (especially when using the Poly Dist) or direct to PA (for acoustic sims). 
So how is the best way to do this; can I achieve this only with the GP-10 and the AX-8, or will I need some extra "gadgets", like a little looper/switcher/A/B-pedal or something?  Thanks.

carlb

Three new boxes for coordinating GP-10 and AX8: MIDX-20 for MIDI control of the GP-10; Tech 21 Mongoose to switch directly between coordinated GP-10/AX8 patches; Morningstar MC6 to choose effects on/off within each coordinated GP-10/AX8 patch.

Guitar 13-pin out to GP-10. GP-10 "Guitar Out" to AX8. AX8 stereo output to GP-10 stereo AUX IN ('AUX IN' acts as a stereo mixer for both the AX8 and GP-10 to the GP-10's outputs). Stereo Outputs of the GP-10 to your powered FRFR speakers.

Mongoose MIDI out to MC6 MIDI in. MC6 USB-MIDI to AX8 MIDI In. AX8 MIDI out to MIDX-20 USB-MIDI in. MIDX-20 USB Out to GP-10 input.

You'll need to coordinate your patches (e.g., Patch 1 on the GP-10 produces no output on the AX8; Patch 2 on the AX8 produces no output on the GP-10; etc.; etc.). Map out what each patch does (or doesn't do) on the GP-10 vs. the AX8.

It's really not as complicated as it seems at first glance. The big thing to do is treat each "Patch" as being across both the GP-10 *and* the AX8, and coordinating what each patch does (or doesn't do) on either unit.

Once it's set up, you'll simply stomp on a Mongoose footswitch to choose which "uber-patch" you want, then play and/or stomp one of six coordinated (and nicely labeled) on/off-effects from the MC6.

Oh, and you'll be able to share an expression pedal between the GP-10 and AX8 too. (Or, have expression pedals dedicated to either processor if that's what you want.)

The hardware will be extremely flexible.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

carlb

Quote from: Bbender on January 20, 2019, 03:53:08 PM
<...> I would also like to be able to choose if the GP-10 sound should go through the AX8 (especially when using the Poly Dist) or direct to PA (for acoustic sims).
<...>

Ah, a slightly different analog path then. 13-pin to GP-10. GP-10 Left/Mono) output to AX8 In 1.

You'll still coordinate patches. An "Uber-Alles" set of patches that coordinates what the GP-10 and does (or doesn't do) and the AX8 does (or doesn't do) do on each patch.

The only drawback of this set of analog connections is that the GP-10 effects will only be mono - because that's all that the AX8 accepts as an input (mono).
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Bbender

Thank you for the thorough replies, but having to buy three new devices (costing more than the GP-10 itself) plus doing some (at least what seems to me as quite) complicated programming, seems a little bit too much for me..  I'm still hoping for an easier solution that doesn't require buying a lot of new gear and/or having to do a lot of programming etc.  And maybe I can lower my demands a little bit, too.  I'll look into the matter and report back :-)

Bbender

Update: I just found a much easier (and less expensive) solution, and I don't know why I didn't think of this before..:  I connect the regular jack from the guitar directly to the AX8. The 13-pin cable goes into the GP-10 (obviously..), and then the outputs from the GP-10 go into the FX returns on the AX8.  I set up an FX loop on the AX8, that can be switched on and off with one of the internal footswitches.  With the FXL switch off, I get the normal guitar sound bypassing the GP-10, and switching it on, I get the GP-10 plus whatever effects I decide to put after the FXL in the AX8 (I can put the AX8 FX loop wherever I want in the chain).  So if I want to have an amp and/or other effects block after the GP-10, I put the FXL before these, and if I want the GP-10 sounds to go direct without the AX8 coloring the sound(for instance when using acoustic sims), I just put the FXL at the end of the chain, after all amp sims, effects and stuff  :-)

carlb

If you find yourself pushing footswitches on both the GP-10 and the AX8 to make a patch change happen, consider coordinating their actions such that a single foot switch press makes your patch changes happen.

If the AX8 can send PC# and CC# changes, it can be used to control the GP-10 in the setup you described. You would need to get the MIDX-20, but not the foot controllers.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Bbender

Thanks for the tip, but I don't need to do patch changes on both units simultaneously, or during the same song, so for my current needs, just switching the AX8's FXLoop on and off for whichever patch I'm using (bringing the GP-10 in and out of the mix) will do the trick :-)

mchad

Quote from: Bbender on January 20, 2019, 03:53:08 PMHello, I haven't used my GP-10 for years, and to be honest I haven't been using it much at all before that either, so I'm looking for some help/advice here..  This is what I'm hoping to achieve:  I'm using an AX8 going direct and a guitar with a GK-3 pickup, and I would like to use the GP-10 for a few special effects; more specifically the Poly Dist and acoustic guitar sims, and being able to switch (at least almost..) instantly back and forth between the GP-10 sounds and my regular guitar sound through the AX8 (thus bypassing the GP-10).  I would also like to be able to choose if the GP-10 sound should go through the AX8 (especially when using the Poly Dist) or direct to PA (for acoustic sims). 
So how is the best way to do this; can I achieve this only with the GP-10 and the AX-8, or will I need some extra "gadgets", like a little looper/switcher/A/B-pedal or something?  Thanks.

Sorry to dredge up an old post but this scenario relates to my next set up whilst I remain on the waitlist (in Oz) for a high end amp modeler/multi effector.

So, Ebay was running one of their coupon specials and I grabbed a Valeton GP200 for a good price. Then during a window shop on another classified site I spot a GP10 for a very attractive price. I sold my GP10 a long while back to get an SY1000. Sold the SY recently so I am currently without any guitar synthy gear.

I hope the Valeton and the GP10 can make some nice sounds together. Planning to merge GP10 sounds into the signal path because I don't want full time synth tones. It should make for a compelling pedalboard if I can get some cool tones from each.