GT100 money saving option

Started by Mrchevy, October 16, 2021, 09:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

So I was wondering.... it would appear that the amp and cab modeling in the GT-1000 is much better than that in the GT-100, and mentioned by Steve (on TGP) that they are near AxFX level of quality. So I thought, are the Effects that much better also in the GT1000. My thought is what if I just got the new IR200 from boss and use that in the GT100 send/return loop for amp and cab models, and stay with the effects of the GT100. That would be about $600 in savings. Or is the GT1000 that much better all around. I use the GT100 in conjunction with the GR55 also. Any considerations for that scenario also?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

sixeight

AFAIK the IR200 only does one of the X-amp models, where the GT1000 does three. Effects are superior as well. Plus having all in one unit is soo much easier.

gumtown

The GT-1000 would be a better option (IMO). Even if you have to splash a little extra cash on it, the features are far better than the IR-200 alone.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

So taking all this into consideration, and after much research and review/demo's of several new products, I have come to the conclusion that the GT-100 is probably still good for use but pretty outdated at this point (coming up on 10 years) and even Boss revamping their modeling. So I decided the GT100 is now going to be used for effects only in my Tubemeister 18 amp.

I ended up following Gummies advice ( sort of) and picked up the Helix LT. I initially was thinking the GT-1000, but I was looking to purchase it on my GC card with 0% interest for x months promos. Both were at $1,000 but the Helix LT was offered with 48 month financing @ about $22/month, were as Boss was only offered for 6 month financing @ $166/month. My pockets say Helix wins ;D. I know Gummy got one a while back ( Helix discussions). I will end this thread here and post in the Helix section on my initial thoughts of the Helix LT and further discussions.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Antonuzzo

I picked up a GT-100 not long ago and it's pretty much the perfect unit for me.

I loved the Helix but it weighs a ton, and I found it less than intuitive in terms of getting the sounds that I wanted.

I tried the Mooer GE-300 – twice – and it's a fun box with some killer amp models and dynamics. But the modulations are pretty poor, and the signal chain is inflexible.

The GT-100 is old tech for sure, but it sounds great to my ears. The Boss modulations are fantastic – great phasing and UniVibe (but a weak flanger), and the v2 firmware brings a lot to the table: freeze, a monosynth, even a monophonic pitch-to-MIDI function. Throw in things like the Sitar simulation, acoustic simulation, pickup simulations that are at least as good as the Mooer tone capture and you've got one beast of a unit.

Maybe it's the years of Roland usage, but I found programming to be intuitive, and I've been pretty much able to recreate all of my old VG-8 and VG-99 patches – the split signal path has really made that a possibility in the case of the VG-99.

Okay, in terms of kit, it's not the latest and greatest. But then, neither am I.

Mrchevy

For all practical purposes, I have loved my GT-100. I too have become very well accustomed to the Roland/Boss environment with the GR55, GT10, GT100. There are several advantages the Helix brings to the table over the GT-100, like the ability to use the same effect multiple times like delays (good for ambient type music patches), and more flexibility of the signal path. The GT-100 has great effects, some of the best in the business, but the amp/cab models have been adequate. Roland has always kinda done there own thing there, not bad, but different. I've still only had a few hours with the Helix, but so far, I can see the potential. It is a bit of a chore learning a new environment, but I'm getting the hang of it. I will say (IMO) though that Line 6 could learn a few things from Boss and PG Bias FX2 as far as the routing display of there path system (the function, not the visual). I find it a bit confusing and not very logical, juggling 2 paths, each with (A/B), and 2 DSP's, and splitting the loads with the models. It took me a while to realize that the path lines on the display are all stereo, and that what parts of it are stereo or mono depends on what you put in the "block" on that path. Beyond that, basic principles apply when running stereo and mono, but, for instance, in Bias FX2, when you split a signal into stereo, it displays 2 line for left and right so you can visually see where the stereo splits are. But, I will say, It is VERY nice to be looking at a HD color display vs the VERY antiquated digital block display (wasn't that developed in the late 1800's ;) ). Boss GT-1000 still using this !?!?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones