JTV-59 (Korean) Variax Just Received, First Impressions

Started by photonutalan1-fgn, April 26, 2012, 12:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photonutalan1-fgn

I just received a new JTV-59 Variax (black), HD500 Footcontroller, and DT50 Amplifier. I connected them using the VDI cable from Variax to HD500, and Line6 Link from HD500 to DT50, then updated all firmware/software through the HD500 via USB. Flawless, easy but time-consuming, install! I can't say enough good about the build quality and playability of this guitar; it arrived with a perfect (for me) low setup. The fit and finish are perfect!

The possibilities of this combination are awesome, but also awesome (for me) is the learning curve! When I achieve something worthwhile (not often enough), I'm overwhelmed with the result, but sometimes still not sure how I got there (writing tablet and pencil with good eraser nearby!) One thing I really love is being able to play in alternate tunings without string-tension/intonation problems. Not to mention  the ease of re/de-tuning. Another thing I really like is the DT50 Amp. I learned to play in the 50's (yeah, I'm a fossil), and when I played my Gretsch then, it was through a Silvertone tube amp; WOW, I'd forgotten how smooth, creamy, and rich tube amps are (I've been playing through digital modelers in between!) This DT50 is all that tube amp was and so much more (switching between amp classes with a single stomp; imagine that!) The acoustic models, especially the new 1.81 ones, are very good, but that said, when I want to play acoustic guitar, I'll play one! The only thing I miss on this guitar, is a trem (any ideas?)

If any of you have been considering these options, I hope these initial impressions have been helpful. (Bear in mind, I haven't even had these goodies a full week.)

Elantric-fgn

I'm in the same boat - too much tech and so little time to learn everything!

I finally got my JTV-69 last October, I had the HD500 since summer 2010, and last christmas I got a DT50 212 and a JTV-59

The jury is still out on the new Tyler firmware 1.81 Acoustics - they are very different that the old 1.7 firmware!.
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

GuitarBuilder-fgn

I've owned and since sold a Variax 300 series; I had mixed feelings about it.  The guitar itself was mediocre and the lack of magnetic pickups was a definite issue.  It looks like the JTVs are a real improvement and I've been waiting for some of the initial issues to be resolved by Line 6 before taking the plunge.

What do you think?  Has it stabilized?  Is now a good time to get one?  The other question is whether the USA model is worth many thousands of $$$ more......
2005 Brian Moore iGuitar i81.13 Emerald Green (BM iMs + RMC Piezo)

photonutalan1-fgn

I own a Variax 700 Electric, Variax 700 Acoustic/Electric, and a Variax 700 Bass...all are fine, well-made, trouble-free, and easily playable instruments (and not for sale!) :) The 300 was their cheapest instrument; just what did you expect for so little money?

My new JTV-59 is extremely well-built and set up perfectly right out of the box. It's beautiful and about as perfect as I can imagine; worth every penny I paid for it. I love playing this thing!

I can't speak about the USA guitars since I've never seen one; someone else will have to help you there. :)

Elantric-fgn

I would look at the discounted "returned item, with warranty"   Korean versions to get the best deal during a 20% code deal at MusiciansFriend. That's how I got my JTV-59 for under $1K

IMHO the USA versions are way too pricy for the subtle upgrade in build quality.

Remember all Korean JTV's are built in the same building as PRS SE models which I think are the best imports today- only topped by the Japanese Gretschs

shawn-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on June 07, 2012, 08:03:56 AM
I would look at the discounted "returned item, with warranty"   Korean versions to get the best deal during a 20% code deal at MusiciansFriend. That's how I got my JTV-59 for under $1K
You were fortunate to get that deal.

I e-mailed one vender (music123) and asked if their used JTV-69's were covered under manufacturer's warranty and they said that the guitars aren't covered. Last week, I tried using Musicians Friend's Memorial Day discount code on a new JTV-69, and during checkout, the website told me that the JTV-69 wasn't eligible for the discount code.

Getting back to music123, I've noticed that a lot of the big mail-order guitar shops seem to have access to the same b-stock. I assume this means that if one shop says these items aren't covered by warranty, that would apply no matter what shop you're buying from.

Next time, I should just give Musicians Friend (or whichever vender it is) a call. They might be a little more likely to work out a deal over the phone, and they could confirm once and for all about the warranty.

Elantric-fgn

Yes - I did get lucky on my JTV-59 "deal"

Realize Romney owns Bain Capital

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain_Capital

who owns these top Music gear companies: Guitar Center 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Center
Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, Music123, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central.

Customer returns all go to the same warehouse for all the above companies.

Last December at  Musician's Friend  - there were quite a few JTV " restocks", which still had warranty but were priced down to $1250.

A few are there today with a 45 day warranty

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/line-6-jtv-59-variax-electric-guitar?condition=used

Due to bugs in the  Musician's Friend discount code system I was able to apply a 15% off used gear code - which worked on the restocked JTV-59, and add an additional 10% off secret code i read about at Harmony-Central Electric Guitar Forum.  Often a good customer will obtain a unique discount code which works indefintely. And often these old codes remained in the Musician's Friend  Shopping Cart system, and these codes could be "stacked" with a latest "discount coupon dujour". 

Even after adding the 8.95% CA Tax, i got out the door for under $1k for a "nearly new" JTV-59 in perfect condition.

These MF codes all used to be posted here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2696810-November-Great-Deals-Thread-*READTHIS-gt-gt-gt-NoSpamAllowed!!-lt-lt-READTHIS*/page3

and I read that deals thread at Harmony-Central EVERY DAY.

But in January 2012, some idiot talked to the wrong mid level manager asking why his stacked discount codes didn't work anymore, and it looks like this got attention in the IT department and now the MF shopping cart no longer accepts multiple discount codes - damn shame too.

So Today i shop at Amazon.