GK3 Install Question - Does it Change Guitar Tone?

Started by shawnb-fgn, February 03, 2011, 08:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb-fgn

All -

My favorite guitar to play is my Peavey Wolfgang Special.  Floyd Rose whammy.  Unfinished neck.   Beautiful aggressive tone.  Sounds perfect straight to an amp.  Perfect playability, as far as I'm concerned.   

But it's my only guitar without a GK pickup.  Frankly I've been afraid to have one installed.   I have this notion in my head that drilling into the wood will affect the tone somehow.  But I'd love to run my baby thru my VG99 - see what tone is produced, play my favorite feeling guitar, & to see what the VG99 does with that whammy. 

Am I too paranoid?  Does GK installation affect the tone of the guitar?

Shawn
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

MCK-fgn

The purists would probably say yes it will affect the natural tone in one way or another. It could be for the better by the way who knows. My take on it is that unless you carve out too much wood which you will not need to, the impact should be minimal. Think of it this way, you may have a very little tone impact but then you can tune it out with the VG99 any which way you like!!! The addition to your tonal range on that guitar will be far less than the subtraction (if any)... I'd say go for it big time!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Zummooz-fgn

Hey shawnb

Are you talking about a GK-3 Kit or a mountable GK-3 ?

Because with a GK-3 (mount) you Don't need holes drilled, well you can !....But
Wouldn't it be best to test 1st, to see if you like it, by using double sided tape & the mounting bracket.

I would test run 1st.......before drilling holes......but thats me !
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

shawnb-fgn

I was thinking an internal mount, but you are absolutely correct, I need to try it first.   

Pro internal mount will be ~$300, the kit is ~$250....   

After watching this video, I'm not sure I want to do it myself:

Plus in that video, he says you shouldn't use strings less than 10s for a GK.   I've always used 9s on my Wolfgang.

Finally, I'm not sure I have room for anything between my Floyd Rose & the pickup.  The external GK3 is easily found for $200, that will let me try it out for a while.   Although, for that matter, I'm not sure my Floyd Rose leaves me room for the external mount either, not a lot of real estate between the whammy & the strap knob...   

Good advice...  Time to experiment...    Worst case scenario, I have a new GK3 to replace my old GK2A on my Epiphone. 

Anybody have experience with 9s and their GK?   

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Zummooz-fgn

The width of a GK-3 pick-up is..... 7.8 mm or 5/16''

Just get a piece of wood or something that size & slide it in.  ;)
I think it's the Floyd Tremolo that tighten's the amount of room left to fit it.

Al thou, I think someone here, has fitted a GK-3 pick-up between a Floyd & Humbucker.

Now you did ask about tonal change....
I'm NO expert at all...But to route out another section on your Wolfgang & insert GK-3 Kit.
That would have to make some sort of tonal change.......you would think  ???
But as MCK stated, with amps , effects & all other bits & pieces........Would you really notice that !

Yes It's really hard to drill some holes etc into something you love.  ;D  Cheers

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

DF400-fgn

I guess to each his own, but I would never drill or cut my favorite guitars. I guess I am a little superstitious in that regard, if it sounds and plays great, don't mess with it. I have had many guitars and have found that some seem to be susceptible to a change in tone with the most minute modifications - and while this change may only be my perception and not so much a physical tone change, what i hear (or perceive to hear) is really all that counts.

I would put an externally mounted GK-3 on it, that may do the trick. Just my $.02.

Zummooz-fgn

Quote from:  DF400 on February 05, 2011, 04:59:45 PM
but I would never drill or cut my favorite guitars. I guess I am a little superstitious in that regard, if it sounds and plays great, don't mess with it.
I would put an externally mounted GK-3 on it, that may do the trick.
I concur fully with DF400  ;D

I would only use a GK-3 Kit in a guitar that was being made from scratch....thats me.
Safest way is a GK-3 with mounting bracket / double sided tape.

Always can take off & back to the original state.....especially if ever selling it.

I'm a bit like DF400 in that I don't like to alter my LP or my DF when all sounds & plays great......may-be a cheaper type.

But of cause it is all a personal choice.....
I know which way I would lean. Especially as you said you have other guitars with GK-3's or 2's on them.

Hope we are helping before anything rash done  ;D  Put that drill down now  ;) ..... Cheers

shawnb-fgn

External it shall be!

Can anyone tell me if there is a limitation on string gauges?   I can't find one doc'd anywhere, but that video from the vguitarforum the guy casually stated you need at least 10s otherwise the gk3 warbles.  Anybody have experience with a gk3 using 9s?

Thanx,
Shawn

[edit: corrected 'at least 9s']
- Fripp

MCK-fgn

I have a internal GK-3 installed Parker FLy. They come installed with 09s by default. I observe no problems running 09s and GK3 driving my VG99 & VB99.

Zummooz-fgn

When installing a GK-3 pickup (internal kit) positioned other way round on a basic fender strat with standard fender tremolo using No pickgaurd.

Dose the GK pickup screw directly onto the flat top strat (No pickgaurd) with maybe some height adjustment underneath ?

Or do you use the spring mounts supplied ? (as these seems more for LP's carve tops etc)

Thanks  ;D

MCK-fgn

In 3 flat-top guitars I have with the internal GK-3 the pickup is installed using the supplied machine-screws and a spring is placed between the GK-3 and guitar top on both screws. The springs push the GK3 up and the screws push / hold it down and thus you have some adjustability. I am not 100% happy with the machine screw into wood approach for height adjustment but it is how they supply the kit from Roland. Should work the same way on a Strat.

paults-fgn

The suggestion to use at least a .010 string set originated with the introduction of the Roland GR-700, back in 1984 :) That wonderful beast needed strings with as much fundamental note frequency as possible.   

Twenty seven years later, GR synths track much better. No need to change what you use.  And, VG/COSM sounds don't "track" at all, so no problem there.