Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic

http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic_gallery/

Breakoutboxes

Ubertar Hexaphonic guitar pickups

and polyphonic pickups for bass

and seven-stringed-guitar

Welcome to the Ubertar Hexaphonic guitar pickup page. We are a small company (currently just one person-- Paul Rubenstein, that's me) specializing in passive, electromagnetic, polyphonic pickups for stringed musical instruments, particularly hexaphonic guitar pickups. A hexaphonic guitar pickup (sometimes called a divided pickup) is a pickup with six outputs (one for each string on the guitar). Polyphonic pickups are pickups with multiple outputs of any number, including heptaphonic pickups for seven-stringed guitars, quadraphonic pickups for bass, and any other possibility. All of my pickups are passive and electromagnetic-- these sound much better than piezo or active pickups, which are usually meant for MIDI applications, rather than direct audio output.

*Type 1 with turbo and type 2 pickups are compatible with Roland VG-99 and GR-20 processors (guitar synths). Type 1 with turbo is the better choice for this application-- it has stronger output and the units track it better. Older type 2s will probably not work with the Roland-- the newer ones have higher output. See the FAQ page for more info.

Products:

Hexaphonic Guitar Pickups:

I have two main types of hexaphonic guitar pickups available, type 1 and type 2. Generally, people will get one or more pickups, with a breakout box and a cable. There are two types of breakout box, regular and turbo. Read the descriptions below to see what best suits your needs. Both types typically come in a strat-style single coil cover. Other styles are also available, including tele bridge, jaguar and EMG-style.

Type 1:

Type 1 hex pickups have a brighter, more detailed, more "strat-like" sound than type 2. With the "turbo" transformers (part of the turbo breakout box, or sold separately) the output when plugged into a guitar amplifier is higher than type 2-- the same level of output you would expect from a normal monophonic pickup. Without turbo, the output when plugged into a guitar amp is low, but signal to noise is very good, so it will still work fine (just turn up your amp) but output and tone will be much better with turbo. If you are planning on going from the pickup to a guitar amp, I highly suggest using turbo. If you are planning on going directly into a microphone preamplifier, turbo is not necessary. The output from type 1 without turbo is low impedance (mic level) and perfect on it's own for a mic preamp input. Coil height is individually adjustable, from the back (adjust before installing). Type 1 with turbo is the best choice if you want to use this with a Roland guitar synth. Type 1 hex single coils come standard with six pairs of wires.

Type 2:

Type 2 hex pickups have a warmer, "fatter" sound than type 1. The output through a guitar amp is somewhat lower than the average monophonic pickup. It's louder than type 1 without turbo, and quieter than type 1 with turbo. Signal to noise is very good. New type 2 pickups will work with Roland synths, like the VG-99 and GR-20, but the tracking is better with type 1 + turbo. Type 2 single coils come standard with six positive wires and one negative.

Hex Humbuckers:

Both Type 1 and Type 2 are available as humbuckers (six humbucker pairs in one hex pickup), or as hex single coils in a humbucker cover. Neck and bridge options are available for both types. Standard wiring for type 1 is 12 pairs; for type 2 it's 6 positive wires, 1 negative. If you want something different, just ask.

Heptaphonic (seven string) pickups:

Heptaphonic pickups are also available for seven-stringed guitars. These come in a strat-style single coil type cover, made for 7-string guitars. These can be type 1 or type 2.

Quadraphonic pickups:

Quadraphonic pickups for bass are available in type 1 or type 2, with your choice of J-bass or P-bass style cover.

Breakout Boxes:

A breakout box is how you get each of the multiple signals (6 for hexaphonic, 4 for quadraphonic, etc.) to your guitar amplifier. I have two main types of breakout box, regular and turbo, which can be made for hexaphonic, heptaphonic, or quadraphonic.

The input of either type of breakout box is a 7 pin female din connector. 13 pin din connector versions are also available. There are six 1/4" outputs (hexaphonic version), one for each string. A 7 pin cable connects from your guitar to the box. A 7 pin output connector for your guitar is included with purchase of a breakout box.

Both boxes come in a plastic enclosure, or can be upgraded to an aluminum enclosure, similar to an effects pedal enclosure.

Regular Box:

The regular box has a 7 pin (or 13 pin) input and six 1/4" outputs. This is best for type 2 hex pickups going to guitar amps, or either type going to a mic preamp.

Turbo Box:

The turbo box has a 7 pin (or 13 pin) input and six 1/4" outputs, with transformers in-between the ins and outs which step up the voltage and impedance. This is best for type 1 hex pickups going to guitar amps. Turbo has no audible effect on type 2.

Adapters:

Adapters are smaller versions of breakout boxes, set up for single purpose use. Many types of adapters are possible. Here are a few configurations:

Hex to Mono adapter:

A hex to mono adapter has a 7 pin female input and one female 1/4" output. These can be turbo or regular.

Hex to Stereo adapter:

A hex to stereo adapter has a 7 pin female input and two 1/4" female outputs. Any single combination of stereo can be set up as an adapter. Common examples are:

Every-other-string:

E, D and B signals go to one 1/4" output; A, G and E to the other.

Bass/Treble split:

E, A and D to one 1/4" output; G, B and E to the other.

Separate low E (and A):

Low E (and A) to one 1/4" output; all other strings to the other.

"I've seen a lot of guitars. Heck, I've owned a lot of guitars. Those HS (hexaphonic stereo) Guitars are some of the best I've ever seen (or heard). Good job."

--Steve Ripley, designer of the Kramer Ripley stereo guitar, including the one used by Eddie Van Halen

You are awesome. We are using the HELL out of this thing and these swept arpeggios at mach 5 are sounding incredible. The separation is astounding. Really. like almost NO crosstalk sometimes depending on the part. That is incredible.
I LOVE the hexaphonic pickup guitar, a LOT. it is simply perfect for the way I think music should sound.

--Joel Hamilton, Studio G Brooklyn

WARNING:

Always make sure all amplifiers are properly grounded when using any type of electric guitar, but especially with a hex pickup going into multiple amps through a breakout box. You don't want to get shocked!

VG-99 and GR-20 are products made by the Roland company. I have no affiliation with Roland (but would welcome one). :)

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

ubertar-fgn

Just to avoid confusion-- this version of the site is outdated and is no longer accurate. Please see the current site before contacting me with an order: http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic
Thanks.