Sound Control (my previous band)

Started by Elboy, October 07, 2009, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elboy

Set me free

The song attached was recorded in 1992.  There are no guitar on the song however that's in the past and i plan to do better next time i promise.

I have tried to remember the equipment used, but first the band:

Mark Ellington (me) on all instruments apart from piano
Doug Watt on piano
Gwen Brechin vocals

Instruments 
Roland D70
Korg M1
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Korg Wavestation AD
Akai S900
There were others but I cant remember!

Mic
Neumann U 87A

Allen & Heath 48 channel desk (can't remember the model)
Akai 16 track reel to reel

The mic was cranked up full so you could hear a pin drop and I got Gwen to whisper the vocal.  It made her control her very powerful voice but also picked up all of her breathing.  I did one take with it all taken out however in the end I thought it was better suited to leave it in.  The Spanish vocal is taken from a rare Spanish record with acapella.  I had it translated then wrote sympathetic lyrics to flow along side.

We were signed to a label at the time but they didn't have a clue and the EP that this was on was only partially released.  I then was involved in a lengthy legal battle to gain control of my music (which I one) and in the end sold my kit and didn't play for 10 years.

It would be good to hear your views.  It could be a christians to the lions moment but I am up for it and would like your feedback good or bad

Tks

M
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

shawnb-fgn

It's a wonderful production!   I do like the vox, both the recording & the performance. 

But given the very name of this forum, it's interesting you chose to post a work with no guitars whatsoever...  Creative use of guitar & technology is what folks are here for. 

But hey, at least you posted a work!   I keep expecting a member to post a DF work...  (hint, hint)
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

MCK-fgn

I think he could re-mix it now with his DF on top of it!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Elboy

Ha ha it was in the past and there is no DF remix planned. Dark fire work only from now on however it bust and back at Gibson Europe. We are due into the studio when I get it back and i promose not to go electronic again! Music is music though so I thought it was worth putting on. Tks so much for your comments.
P.S. There are some Spanish guitar parts on the track although it as played by me on the keyboard using a Korg Wavestation AD, does that count?
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

panrixx

Quote from:  Elboy on October 07, 2009, 01:09:11 PM
Set me free

The song attached was recorded in 1992.  There are no guitar on the song however that's in the past and i plan to do better next time i promise....................It would be good to hear your views.  It could be a christians to the lions moment but I am up for it and would like your feedback good or bad

Tks

M

Well, my first thought is that I like the track alot, then I realised why.

I was a great fan of Lisa Stansfield in her heydays and I have two or three of her CDs.  Your track 'Set Me Free' sounds ever so familiar to some of Lisa's tracks.  Is it a cover or was it sampled from one of her tracks?

Elboy

Hi Panrixx. There is no sign of lisa on the track. I will have to dig out some to have a listen and compair as I have never heard that before. I was very much part of the dance curcuit during the late 80s and 90s but I never played live with lisa. I did play with Alison Limerick and Katherine E and I loved their work so perhaps I picked up some insperation from them. Set me free was the B side of an EP and it was ment to be a chill out track aimed at the up and coming summer of love in 1993.   At the time Techno was domanating, this was my suduction track ha ha. It's worked for me loads :-)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

panrixx

Have a listen to 'The Love In Me', off her 'Affection' CD.  The underlying beat is similar and the vocal tones also have similarities (to me anyway).  A repeating phrase in the chorus line is "set you free".

Lisa Stansfield

I still think your track is great.  It's not the same but I just heard similarities to Lisa's track, which is a good thing in my book.

Elboy

Just had a listen and i get the connection you made.  I guess it was the same eara and i believe equipment drives a sound and direction in music and production.  I cant wait to here some Dark Fire music being posted though.  The lattest kit always drive invention so it should be good to see what comes out.  Again tks for taking the time to listen and to comment.  Do you have anything that you can share? 
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV