News:

GR-55 F.A.Q.

Main Menu

Your first song

Started by Zipidy-fgn, July 28, 2009, 03:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zipidy-fgn

In an attempt to strike up some conversation (the place has been deserted for days)...

What was the first song you learned? Mine was "The Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young. My roommate had 3 guitars (a classical, an acoustic and a Gibson BB King Lucille), and each time it was my turn to clean up, I would have to move the guitars around to vaccuum, and one day I thought, "I can do this", and asked to be shown the basics. I was taught a few chords, how to read tabs and where to go to get more (anyone remember the OLGA?). That was 1996, and I've been in love with guitars and playing ever since.

hoopyfrood

The first song I learned was the Bass line to Led Zeps "Rock and Roll". A couple of friends of mine and myself had just decided to form a band. One played on 6 strings, one was a drummer and one had a pretty good voice. So I started to learn the Bass and we started by doing covers and this Zep song was the firstwe did. The first song I learned on 6 strings was "Victim of changes" by Judas Priest. We had just been to a Priest concert where they opened with this number. I thought "I gotta learn how to do that".The opening guitar solo alone was enough to impress the girls (or at least the girls back then).
I don't make mistakes..........I thought I did once but I was wrong.

Sympodius

I think the first song I learned was "House of the Rising Sun." I didn't learn to do the pick strum that the Animals do until later though.

Perhaps more embarassing, what was the first CD/Vinyl/Cassette you bought?
Time is not now; space is not here;
thoughts are not existence; and life not always clear ...

Gibson SG Voodoo (Serial: 00294552)
Gibson Les Paul Dark Fire (Serial: DF 0683)

Elantric-fgn

First 45 record I bought was PaperBack Writer / Rain by Beatles
First LP record  - I hate to say The Monkees

What can I say - It was late 1966 and I was 12!

First song I learned to play was by a UK band  - the Status Quo - getting heavy airplay in San Francisco in Spring '67 summer of love with "Pictures of Matchstick Men - I dug the flanger  and it was easy to play the solo ( 4 notes on one string)  - production seemed inspired by small Faces Itchykoo Park. - i also recall playing Secret Agent Man too.  Of course Hendrix was a fave - but my Parents would not allow me to play his records at home. - as he was considered "too scary" by Time Magazine, so i learned Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Then "How many More Times" by Zep in spring 1969.  Then we moved to Chicago - and I split my time playing after schools in a 3 piece power trio (Neil Young, Foghat, Alman Bros) and a 7 piece horn band which i co founded with other schoolmates - played all over Chicago 1970-1976

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Sympodius

That answer was far too cool and unembarassing, Elantric.

My first CD was "Dangerous" by Michael Jackson. I don't think I need to say any more...
Time is not now; space is not here;
thoughts are not existence; and life not always clear ...

Gibson SG Voodoo (Serial: 00294552)
Gibson Les Paul Dark Fire (Serial: DF 0683)

Johnnyurq-fgn

First 45 was Status Quo's Down Down and First album was Jeff Wayne's Musical version of "The War of the Worlds". Well it was the 70's and everything was a bit freaky then.

First song learnt was inevitably Smoke on the Water as most new guitarists of that era did. Went on to some Led Zep Quo and various Prog/Glam Rock stuff too.

The 70's the decade that time forgot, and with good reason too.

icing777-fgn

It was "Girl" by the BEatles for me. Never looked back...
Play on, my friend !!!

hoopyfrood

The first 45 I bought was "Can the Can" by Suzi Qautro. Not because I liked it but because she was doing a gig at a local venue the California Ballroom. Suzi and the band all turned up at my Grandfathers cafe after a sound check while I happened to be there earning myself some pocket money and I thought to myself "wow look at the babe in the skin tight leathers". I must add I was probably a little too young to be having thoughts like that.
The first LP I can remember buying was "Desolation Boulavard" by the Sweet. Pretty heavy album for an act that was enjoying a lot of pop chart success at the time.
I don't make mistakes..........I thought I did once but I was wrong.

cgarlie-fgn

First album was the Kink's "Tired of Waiting" -- so good, I immediately went out and got the You Really Got Me album which was not as good (but still good) but had several "old" tunes like Too Much Monkey Business on it. Unfortunately I didn't get a guitar for a few more years.

Beatles Birthday was probably the first song -- I know my first real riff was Zep's Heartbreaker.

Charlie
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
PRS SC245 (57/08)
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax JTV-69

shawnb-fgn

First song I learned to play?  Hard to remember, probably "Pigs on the Wing" back in my highschool days.  I was self-taught, & for a long time couldn't really nail anything (maybe still can't?), but I had fun with it.   (Still do!)

First album?  Now that's embarrassing...  My mother was a music junkie.  Between my mother & my older siblings, I grew up on showtunes, classical, '60s folk, & Motown.  One minute my mom would be playing Pete Seeger, the next Mahler's 1st (you know, the one they ripped off the original Star Trek theme intro from?), the next Carousel.  When I was way, too young & not even following anything yet, probably 8, she took the family to a music store & let us each pick up an album.   My sisters were picking up Barbara Streisand, Melanie ('60s folk), etc.  One of my sisters picked up "The Man Who Sold The World".  (I think I had a thousand or so older sisters...)   I picked up Tony Bennett's Greatest Hits, mainly because I saw "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" & I recognized the name San Francisco...   

My mother also took me to an "Up with People" concert.  I've forgiven her that... 

She also took me to a concert performance of "Jesus Christ Superstar", with some folks from the movie & play productions.   Helen Reddy sang Mary Magdelene; of course, her big hit being lifted from the soundtrack.   Most of the other performers were from the play.  That's what I consider my first concert; it was a very good performance - surprisingly driving - of a pretty darned good soundtrack.  I remember it to this day. 

First LPs?   When I had my first paper route, I ran out & bought "Fragile" and "Animals".   
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Elantric-fgn

Quote"Up with People" concert.

Ouch!

I had to suffer one of those too, part of a school Music Program -  they were touring in Chicago in 1971 - they made  the "Mike Curb Congregation" seem like the Ramones.

dirtypurple

My dad bought me a book with all the beatles songs. I sat with his records and went through most of them to learn all the chords - I remember doing this for hours and hours. First electric guitar song i learned was "All right now".

The last song I learned - ie a few days ago - was "Sex on fire" - KoL.

My 7 year old sons first one was a Metallica song!

cgarlie-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on July 28, 2009, 09:19:16 PM
Quote"Up with People" concert.

Ouch!

I had to suffer one of those too, part of a school Music Program -  they were touring in Chicago in 1971 - they made  the "Mike Curb Congregation" seem like the Ramones.

I missed them, but did have to suffer through Herman's Hermits with my girl friend so I could see the Animals only to find out Eric Burdon was sick. They're not quite the same without the vocals.

Best concerts were at the old converted theater in Old Town Chicago in the late sixties -- Steve, maybe you hit some of these. Best were BB King opening for Ten Years After and the all night marathon done by Jefferson Airplane.

Charlie
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
PRS SC245 (57/08)
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax JTV-69

Elantric-fgn

I was livng in Clarendon Hills / Downers Grove area, 17 miles from downtown Chicago - played :

The Quiet Knight, Kingston Mines Coffeehouse, Arron Russo's Kinetic Playground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Russo

Craziest gig - was Rockford Ill, We played a club called "Barney Googles"

we figured - must be named after the 1940's cartoon comic strip character - but no - it was the real name of the club owner.

Rick Nielson  ( of cheap  trick) worked in his parents music store - and before sound check we stopped at the music store he worked to buy strings. Rick tried to sell me a Mellotron in 1973.  Of Course my 1st impression was, here's a slick keyboard salesman trying to sell something I don't need. - only years later when I saw Cheep Trick I recognized him immediately.

Then many Years later I learned he flew to NYC in 1969 to deliver a '59 Les Paul to Jeff Beck when Jeff's LP was stolen the day before the Jeff Beck Group played the Fillmore East.

Working at the counter of midwest music store 1966-1976 - it was rather easy to collect vintage Les Pauls, Flying Vee's, Strats ES-335's from down on their luck musicians.

There used to be a Giant Music gear Pawn shop in Tuscon, Arizona - I was there in 1977 - it was amazing - you  just wanted to wave a magic wand and ask yourself " Gee - if this Gear could only talk and tell their story of how they ended up here".

Probably some touring psychodelic band whose Van broke down and they were forced to pawn their gear to fund one way Greyhound bus fare back home.

I've been there done that too.

I need to write my "spinal tap" like real story  tour book

MCK-fgn

This has to be the best social thread in a while!!! Thanks for all the sharing. First song for me... Can't really remember. It think it was "It's only rock'n roll" by the Stones. Lots of fun back then making noise and thinking big!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Zipidy-fgn

Well I think my first album was K-Tel's "Looney Tunes"  :D , but the first albums I bought myself were Iron Maiden's Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath's Mob Rules and April Wine's The Nature of the Beast (all new releases at the time). I bought them mostly because I liked the cover art.

I immediately fell in love and went to my first concert that fall, the Mob Rules tour. There were Christian groups protesting outside, the riot police were monitoring the whole scene, and we were frisked before being admitted into the Montreal Forum (for anyone who follows the NHL). It was all very prestigeous and I was blown away by how cool it all was (I was 12). I spent the next few years going to every heavy metal concert that came through, often times going back stage after the show (which is nothing like the scene in the movie The Wall, by the way).

Johnnyurq-fgn

Hi Zipidy,

I like your style Looney Tunes and British metal. About as far apart as you can get, excellent.

I love Looney Tunes cartoons and all of those bands you mentioned.

The Looney Tunes thing just made my day and made me smile, have some Karma.

danjoe066

Inevitable, it was 'House of the Rising Sun' from my guitar teacher. I just learned the chords but had to get the picking too as my Dad said he wouldn't fund any more lessons if I didn't!
My first self taught riff was 'whole lotta rosie' and first self taught solo was 'snowblind' by Iommi.
I had progressed from a crummy acoustic to a 4th hand walnut custom sg (c1973 model) as a present for passing my 'o' levels.
It was later stolen while I was away, by a flatmate several years later who drank himself to death with the proceeds......
Gibson SG VOS (Les Paul Custom)Maestro Antique red
Parkwood Solidbody
Gibson Dark Fire 0197

Densmore

my first 45 was given to me by my aunt when I was maybe 5? She was a teenager and won every song that station played that day on 45 by being the correct caller.
ThankYouForLettinMeBeMyselfAgain - Sly and the Family Stone
First LP?
"YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD! KISSSSSSSSS!"
Danananananananananananaan Kiss Alive 2

First song... I am a bassist making a forray into guitar so my first bass piece was probaly
Danananananananananananana from that album.

My first guitar piece?
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - Allman Brothers
Im on Day 10 of working on this monster and time to post another fumble fingers video to my blog.

Mind you... I play by ear... soooo.. EPIC SUCKAGE and FAIL will ensue for your  fingerpointing pleasure!
http://365guitarproject.blogspot.com/
Wanna see Horrible Guitar Playing? Visit My Blog!
http://365guitarproject.blogspot.com/

It appears my Karma ran over my Dogma

eddiez152

Well gents, I wish I could say I was rocking, but Peter, Paul, and Mary, Gordon Lightfoot, and Dylan were my intro to guitar. Dylan's "Times are a Changing" was my first, and after the first 30 or so days I was still married and was able to stay at home.

Elboy

Brill thread!
First two songs were "White riot" by the Clash. and "Something" by the Beatles still two of my fav songs!
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

AdrianBryan

First 2 songs I learned to play were Sunshine of Your Love (Cream) and Astronomy Domine (Floyd).

I had a 12 quid guitar (a Wilson Ranger 2) that I bought from a friend (I still have it) and I used to play it through my (reel-to-reel) tape recorder and my self-designed fuzz box. Blew the crap out of the speaker after a while.

Probably followed by Sympathy for the Devil (Stones) and Purple Haze (Hendrix).

Still play them all when I'm just noodling by myself.

Adrian.

Zummooz-fgn

Hi all. nice thread this one.

1st  song  I  learnt  was  taught  by  music  teacher  at  age  15  (1975)  'Eleanor  Rigby'  (beatles)  But  was  version  by  Aussie  band  'The  Zoot'  (Fantastic  version)  It's  on  youtube......look  it  up.

Last  song  I  learnt......'In  My  Time  Of  Dying'  Led  Zep  (classic)

1st  riffs  any  Led  Zep.

1st  concert  Deep  Purple  1975  at  'Hordern  Pavilion'  Sydney  at  age  15

Last  concert  I  went  to  was  'Radio  Head'  1998  Sydney  Entertainment  Center

1st  album  I  really  listened  to  was  in  1969  at  age  9  my  older  brother  pumping  out  Led  Zep  1  (he  was  only  12)  Thanks  bro

1st  album  I  bought  myself  with  pocket  money  was  'Goats  Head  Soup'  The  Rolling  Stones

I  attended  lots  of  concerts  here  are  just  some  of  the  best  &  worst.

Bob  Marley  &  the  Wailers  1979  At  Sydney  Hordern Pavillion  Had  front  row  seats  in  the  middle,  not  long  after  they  started  all  these  "Joints"  started  coming  up  &  down  the  rows  ( Is't  that  just  a  typical  Bob  Marley  concert)  If  I  recall  he  died  not  long  after  this.

Talking  Heads  1979  at  the  State  Theatre  Sydney,  I  was  totally  blown  away,  great  sound  &  lighting  (Fantastic  concert)

The  Cure  1981  Sydney  Capital  Theatre  again  front  row  seats  in  the  middle  (Awesome  show)

Roxy  Music  1981  (Superb  concert)

Robert  Plant  1984   2x  (Excellent  concert)

Just  a  few  other  good  concerts  out  of  a  large  list.

Elvis  Costello....1985  with  T-Bone  Burnett  again  front  row  in  the  middle.                            Genisis......1986                                  XTC........1980
Supertramp.......1976                     Blackmore's  Rainbow......1976               Jerry  Harrison......1988                        The  Stanglers......1980
Simple  Minds.....1982                                           Santana  &  Fleetwood  Mac....1977  (at  same  concert)

Also  saw.......Cure  /  XTC  /  Simple  Minds  doing  lots  of  pub  gigs  (that  was  fun)

Best  large  concert  David  Bowie  Sydney  showground  2x  1978  &  1983

Worst  large  concert  'The  Beach  Boys'  1978  Sydney  showground,  sound  was  crap  &  it  bucketed  down  with  rain  &  turned  into  a  mud  bath. (How  ironic  is  that)

Worst  smaller  concert  was  'Julian  Lennon'  1985  Sydney  entertainment  center  (Don't  thick  they  did  sound  check  here)  also
Tears  For  Fears  1985  at  same   venue, This  was  like  being  at  an  early  Beatles  gig,  all  screaming  girls (coundn't  hear  the  band)   

A  mate  owned  a  record  store  in  Sydney  &  had  'John  Farris'  working  there  &  one  day  he  asked  us  to  come  &  see  his  band   'The  Farris  Brothers'  So  we  went  to  'Avalon  RSL  Club'  1979.....50  cents  entry  fee. WOW  I  was  blown  away  at  how  tight  this  band  was. I  was  hooked  these  guys  were  good,  later  to  become  'INXS'  Lost  count  how  many  times  I  saw  this  great  Aussie  band.
Other  Aussie  bands  I  followed  closely  were  'Midnight  Oil'  /  'The  Church'  /  'Icehouse'  (was  originally  'The  Flowers')

Closest  to  musical  royalty  was  trying  to  buy  tour  jacket  off  a  'Cure'  roadie.
Going  to  'Richard  Claptons'  apartment  over  looking  Sydney  with  a  mate  that  was  his  roadie.
Jimmy  Page  &  Robert  Plant  signed  a  poster  on  'No  Quarter  Tour'  1994  touring  Australia  &  Jimmy  Page  signed  a  rare  photographic   Led  Zep  book  that  I  have.  Another  classic  youtube  to  watch  'Page  Plant - Denton Pt1'  the  intro  is  a  good  laugh!! 
I  was  pissed  off  I  couldn't  go  to  'No  Quarter  Tour'  was  going  through  Divorce  &  just  lost  my  Dad.  (Thats  life  I  suppose)
Lots  of  after  gig  parties  with  'Fariss  Brothers'  /  'INXS'  &  having  Michael  Hutchence  &  Andrew  Farris  at  my  21st  party  in  1981

Best  Aussie  band  I  followed  obvious.............The  Farris  Brothers  /  INXS

All  time  &  still  is  my  favorite  band.............LED  ZEPPELIN   &  all   the  side  kick  stuff  they  have  done  &  still  doing
40  years  later  play  any  album  /  cd  &  it  still  fits  into  todays  scene.

Imagine  in  30  years  time  I'll  be  80  years  old  &  still  pumping  out  LED  ZEPPELIN.........How  cool  will  I  be.

Ah...............Memories             

CHEERS    C-YA
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

MCK-fgn

Do you remember what you had for lunch today?  :P :P :P

Just joking mate! Amazing memory and more amazing history you've got there. Hats off. Keep Zep spinning until time comes for one last "In my time of dyin"... May that be as late as possible!

Cheers
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Zummooz-fgn

Yep.  Sure  can  MCK.

3 Eggs , 6  bacon  rashers ,  4  slices  of  toast  &  a  side  salad  Oh  &  2  beers.

Memories  are  a  good  thing. I  sure  do  have  some  &  hope  to  keep  them !!

CHEERS 

Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!