Kemper-using GR-55 with Kemper

Started by admin, September 15, 2021, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

musicman65 write>

Re: Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

GOOD NEWS! I got so pissed about the crappy signal to noise ratio on the GR-55 Guitar Out jack, I took my GR55 apart and got my o'scope out and went noise hunting. Turns out the noise floor on every output is the same, identical...about 1mV avg pk-pk. It's on everything, headphones, L/R mains,,,,and guitar out. The issue is that the rest of the outputs have gain so the output signal is large in comparison to the noise floor....but the guitar out is just buffered with no gain so its a smaller signal. That makes the signal-to-noise ratio worse than with the main outs or headphones. In fact, the headphone out may be the best.....hmmm?

Sooo...I decided to use the L/R Main outs into the Return/Alt Return jacks on the KPA and set the first stomp to Stereo Loop. This injects the GR55 into the KPA signal chain just after the front guitar input and noise gate, It works great. Quite too. You lose the noise gate (and maybe the Clean / Dist Sense?) but gain a full guitar modeler with alt tuning, tons of effects, all the Roland Goodness of the VGuitar setup.

Now, here's the cool part. After saving your KPA profile with Stereo Loop enabled in the Stomp section, disable the stomp and save a second rig with Stereo Loop in the X slot of the effects section. Now dial up a PCM synth tone and it's inserted in the mix AFTER the Amp section....nice and clean. With Stereo Loop in either Pre (Stomp) or Post (Effects) position, you get a gain and mix control. Use them to blend GR-55 and normal guitar input if you still have a non-gk guitar you want to use....or decide to make the mod below.

Tomorrow, I am installing a REAL, UNBUFFERED GUITAR OUT jack in my GR55. I will pick off the signal from the 13-pin jack's terminating board. This will give me a noise free guitar out just like my VG-99 has. Then I'll have tons of options via KPA front jack and Stereo Loop.

Next is MIDI setup so KPA rigs are changed via GR55 with correct pre or post Stereo Loop settings depending on what tones I want, ie: KPA with straight guitar, synth sounds, GR55 alt tuning, GR55 acoustic, modeled guitar, etc....I am super excited this is gonna work.

bd

whippinpost91850

I thought I read somewhere , here, someone found a way to adjust the guitar out to get a quiet guitar out?