Warwick Gnome 200 watt Class D Mini head

Started by admin, September 14, 2021, 06:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/tc-electronics-bam200-class-d-bass-head-duncan-powerstage-killer.2252776/page-8#post-33222634

Quote from: guitarrob, post: 33221286, member: 10122

Why doesn't TC/Music Group make a guitar branded version to go head to head with the PS-200? It should kill in the market at the BAM 200 price point. Though it seems many a guitarist here on TGP have taken the leap, I feel like a lot of players not spending time here would be hesitant or not even think to buy a "bass" product for their guitar rig.

The Warwick Gnome is built slightly better,

Quote from: Thilo278, post: 32959870, member: 50508

Anyone tried the Warwick Gnome? Looks the same as the BAM except in silver and a review states it is pretty much flat with everything at noon. Could be an alternative for those feeling uncomfortable setting the EQ to these strange positions. Also costs the same as the BAM (here in Germany, both around 130€).

Trace Elliott ELF ($360)

TC BAM200 ($199 - Sweetwater claims they will get more in 9 weeks @ $168)

Warwick Gnome (Zzounds  - must call for $180)

My feeling is Trace Elliott ELF , Warwick Gnome and TC BAM200 are built in same assembly plant in China, I think the Gnome has an edge being higher quality than BAM200,

A/B test reviews in Bass player forums  give edge to the Gnome.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/warwick-new-micro-bass-heads.1476971/?amp=1607692204

Alessandro Cruz wrote>
I've bought two Warwick Gnome heads, both 200W and one is the "I" model, with USB interface.

So far, I can tell you I'm pretty satisfied with the sound. Haven't tried yet the USB interface, but I'll do it soon.

Compared to the TCE BAM200 that I owned before, looks pretty similar in size, arrangement and so on, despite the TCE feels lighter in my hands. But I can say sure enough the Warwick head sounds better.

I feel they're the very same amp with minor changes in audio frequencies or some other components.

The Gnome just sounds better to my ears, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my previous BAM200 and I would recommend it, but since the prices are so close, I would choose the Warwick again

QuoteI've bought two Warwick Gnome heads, both 200W and one is the "I" model, with USB interface.

So far, I can tell you I'm pretty satisfied with the sound. Haven't tried yet the USB interface, but I'll do it soon.

Compared to the TCE BAM200 that I owned before, looks pretty similar in size, arrangement and so on, despite the TCE feels lighter in my hands. But I can say sure enough the Warwick head sounds better.

I feel they're the very same amp with minor changes in audio frequencies or some other components.

The Gnome just sounds better to my ears, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my previous BAM200 and I would recommend it, but since the prices are so close, I would choose the Warwick again

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/warwick-gnome-users.1522009/page-2

Warwick Gnome can power a cab loaded with Kemper Kone 12" speaker, for Kemper.
Or it can be used as a Power Amp for Helix , GT-1000, Headrush feeding a passive speaker cab

QuoteI saw your post about that amp. I even priced two of  them at Thomann. $295 for two of them shipped to the States.

WARNING - WARNING

Be extra careful when ordering Amps from Europe , for use in USA

I had to cancel my Thomann Order because while the Warrwick Gnome amps at Thomann have an attractive price, they are strictly for use on 200-240VAC Mains systems

Apparently the US/Japan versions that run on 100-120VAC have different components, and different value internal Fuse.
In USA , call Zzounds for best price for 100-120VAC Warwick Gnome

I made this mistake once before, ordered a Eden 2x12" stereo bass Amp on sale at Andetons UK  - but it will not run on 120VAC - required a separate 50 pound 500 watt 120VAC to 240VAC Step up transformer.

Read this Warwick Gnome Review ( use Google Translate)

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/warwick-gnome-i-test.html

Zzounds sells the USA/Canada/Japan 100-120VAC version with a standard IEC cable with three prong  USA plug

Review the English Warwick Gnome Owners Manual -last page for Specifications

They make two models

* EU/UK/Australia/China/Korea 200-240VAC model

* USA/Canada/Japan 100-120VAC model
https://shop.warwick.de/media/pdf/28/03/73/W_A_GNOME_230V_Manual_ENNGH5QIMikoAp6.pdf

admin

Read this Bonedo Warwick Gnome Review ( use Google Translate)

A few years ago put products such as the Trace Elliot Elf and tc electronic BAM200 in the segment of Basstops in miniature new standards. The traditional German manufacturer Warwick followed suit at the end of 2020 and sent the Gnome as the next contender for the crown in the dwarf amp competition. In contrast to the competition, however, Warwick offers their Class-D miniature in three different versions - the selection is large: the Gnome and Gnome i models each have an output of 200 watts; the latter even has an audio interface functionon board! And if you need a little more power, simply grab the 280 watt top model Gnome i Pro. We have opted for the golden mean and are putting the Gnome i to the test in this test!

Details
The Gnome i measures just 170 x 118 x 455 mm and weighs just under 1 kg - but the Class-Amps by no means looks like a toy. The sturdy black metal housing was clad with two shells made of brushed metal, which give the small top part both a certain quality and an elegant look.

In addition, all the components used make a high-quality impression, and the five pots on the tiny front run very smoothly. The feature density is of course very limited with such a compact amp - here the Gnome i does not differ significantly from the competitors mentioned above, apart from the audio interface function .

Who thinks this mini-head would appearing more like a toy is very wrong!
Instead, the Warwick Gnome convinces with clean workmanship and excellent stability and feel!

On the left of the front we find an input jack for the bass, which is connected to a small LED for visual control of the signal strength. This is followed by the gain control, the EQ control (bass, middle, treble) and the master control for the final volume. On the far right there is another jack for connecting headphones. The headphone connection is used both for monitoring during recording (audio interface functionality) and for quiet practice in your own four walls.

To the workshop
The remaining connections are housed in a very small space on the back: Here we find an XLR output (always post-EQ and equipped with a ground lift button), with which a symmetrical signal can be sent to the console or recording equipment , as well a jack socket for connecting the bass box . Understandably, there is not enough space on the dwarf amps for a more contemporary Speakon connection. Finally, on the far right, we find the USB output for connection to the computer, if the Gnome i is to be used as an audio interface.

Every square centimeter is used!

As we can see, Warwick limited the Gnome i to basic equipment. Without question, you can handle this very well in most situations - provided that the amp's performance is right! You can read and hear what the tiny thing has to offer in terms of performance and sound in the following practical section!

Praxis
To get started, I would like to find out right away how the new pocket amp from Warwick works as an audio interface and connect it to my computer using a USB cable. I then start Logic Pro X and can select the Gnome i in the audio settings for the inputs and outputs - the amp immediately appears here with the name "USB Audio Device". So I'm ready to go and can start immediately.

The audio interface function is fortunately available for both Mac and Window users without additional driver installation. The sound quality of the transducers is also absolutely fine, so you can use the Gnome for occasional home recording or to capture ideas while traveling or on tour . The Gnome i cannot replace a professional audio interface due to its minimalist equipment - but that should be clear to everyone!

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/das-beste-homerecording-equipment-fuer-bass.html

The GNOME i ( with 16 bit USB Audio interface connection) to the computer for operation with a DAW is easy!

But let's move on to the practical test on the bass box: After the first few notes, I am pleasantly surprised by the great performance of the Gnome i. The tiny top delivers an extremely solid and transparent sound that works very well with all types of bass.

In principle, I would describe the tonal tuning as neutral and very balanced - the Gnome i essentially reproduces the very own sound character of each bass used. The onboard equalizer brings more color into play: All three controls work well and thus allow a lot of flexibility - fortunately, unusable frequency components are largely left out.

To the workshop
The bass control provides more fullness and punch if necessary, and those who need more assertiveness can easily reach their goal with a mid-boost. Both controls can be turned up boldly without bringing the sound off track - Warwick has really succeeded in tasteful coordination !

And the treble control also delivers great results along the entire control path: if you turn it all the way down, you get mild and round sounds that are by no means lacking in definition, and in the opposite direction the sound becomes increasingly transparent, without ever being annoying. The low-noise mode of operation of the equalizer is also positive.

You don't really need more: The onboard EQ of the Warwick Gnome turns out to be extremely effective!

So far, so good - but what about the volume of the tiny thing? Even with the eight-ohm box that I used in the test, the Gnome i delivers sufficient volume for smaller gigs or rehearsals and performs absolutely stable. The sound is slightly compressed at higher gain settings at the input, but I find the effect to be quite pleasant - the sound appears a bit more compact and smoother, but always remains clear and stable.

To the workshop
Finally, a word about the fan noise, because many will certainly want to use the Gnome i for practice in quiet surroundings . The fan sits on top and starts working after a few minutes of operation. I would describe the uniform noise as rather subtle and didn't feel in any way bothered by it while practicing - and I'm usually quite sensitive about this topic.

Have fun with the final sound samples!

Flat position of all controls

Flat position of all controls
Mid-Boost
Bass-Boost, Treble-Cut
Bass-Boost, Mid-Cut, Treble-Cut
High Quality Audio

A good hit: Warwick can be sure of the market success of this miniamp in its three variants!

Conclusion(4.5 / 5)
With the new Gnome i, Warwick has succeeded in creating a great mini-amp that, in my opinion , can assert itself super relaxed against the competition from Denmark and England (or the USA) . The ultra compactly built top sounds really excellent and performs absolutely sovereign, in addition, the Gnome scores with a high-quality optics and impeccable workmanship. It might be desirable to equip it with an aux-in connection for external audio sources - apart from that, however, there is absolutely nothing to complain about! If you are looking for a tiny and great-sounding pocket amp , you should buy the Gnome i without hesitation - it doesn't get any better!

PRO
full and transparent sound
good sounding EQ
good performance
ultra compact design
very good workmanship
Audiointerface-Function
very fair price

AGAINST
no aux-in for playbacks

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
Manufacturer: Warwick
Model: Gnome i, bass stop with Class-D final stage
Country of manufacture: China
Power: 200 watts @ 4 ohms, 130 watts @ 8 ohms
Controls: Gain, Bass (80Hz,) Middle (400Hz), Treble (4.2kHz), Master
Switch: Groundlift, Power
Connections: input, headphones (jack), balanced Di-Out XLR, speaker out (jack), USB (1.0 / 2.0 Type-B)
Other: fan
Dimensions: 170 x 118 x 455 mm
Weight: 0.98 kg
Accessories: power cord, instruction manual
Price: 169 euros (retail price in March 2021)

admin

In USA , verify you have the 115VAC version Warwick Gnome

Warwick Gnome (internal)
Initial impression is this unit is incredibly small!  the Warwick Gnome appears  to be built to a slightly higher standard vs BAM200 -beefier components,  better shielded preamp stage on separate front panel PCB

Infineon / International  Rectifier PowIRaudio IR4322M 2x 100 watt Class D controller in Bridge 200watt RMS mode

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/class-d-audio-amplifier-ic/integrated-class-d-audio-amplifier-ics/ir4322m/

=========

Compare with BAM200 below

Inside BAM 200

And inside Trace Elliott Elf

admin

I really like the Gnome

Works excellent,  just set tone controls at noon, input gain at 11:00 o'clock, Master Vol at Noon , drove 12" cab loaded with 12" Kemper Kone speaker  , used any DSP MFX with Its internal cab sim engaged
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25087.msg247816#msg247816

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/47846-kone-kabinet-q-a/&pageNo=59

Even an old Boss ME-80 (with headphone jack occupied , to enable internal speaker cab sim) sounded great 

Same with NUX MG-30