Unexpected Midi loop notes with ftp and Omnisphere

Started by doha1696, August 12, 2021, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doha1696

Hi, how to stop those midi loop notes using ftp with Omnisphere ? I need to stop recording and close the Omnisphere track to stop notes,,, if I do nothing, the notes go on and never fail down...

Thanks for your help
Dominik Hardy

http://fret-time.com

PeterPan8

Salut Dominik,

I also use TP with Omnisphere, and don't have any "looping" problems. I'm pretty sure it's a setting in Omnisphere. Can you explain more of your setup? What patches are you using? Internal to Omnipshere or another patch from a user? Are you using Multi?

PS: Tu peux aussi m'envoyer un PM si tu préfères...

shawnb

Are you using a DAW?  Most DAWs have a MIDI 'panic' or 'reset' button that sends all notes OFF to all synths/ports.

Note that MIDI notes are not singular note 'events' - each MIDI note requires two MIDI events, a NoteOn and a NoteOff.  Those are separated by the duration of the note. 

If you use a tool that loops, you need to be keenly aware of this; if your NoteOff is beyond the end of your loop selection, the note will never stop. 

Fix #1 is to make sure your note durations all land within the loop window.  I.e., don't cut off any notes.

This can also happen if the synth is too busy to process the NoteOff event.  This occurs if you are sending lots of notes or control information.  This normally happens when feeding older hardware gear.

Fix #2 is to use whatever MIDI 'thin' function you have access to.

A variant of this issue is a MIDI event loop...  If somehow your MIDI out or thru ends up being logically or physically connected back into your input, you basically create a MIDI 'storm' on your MIDI bus.  Your synth gets overloaded and cannot process all the info it is sent.

Fix #3 is to very carefully check all your MIDI inputs and outputs and routings.  Make sure it is IMPOSSIBLE for your MIDI info to find its way back into your input.  Disconnect anything not used.  Only use one input, etc..

These issues will happen with any MIDI device. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp