Guitar Patch With Ambient or Pad Option???

Started by Dunny Daw, August 09, 2021, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunny Daw

Hello All, and thanks for taking the time to read this,

I am a very basic guitarist, but sometimes assist my son when leading the worship at our local church.

I play basic guitar rhythm in the background, so need a predominantly guitar based patch, with reverb, delay and some gain/distortion selectable via CTRL switch.  I think all that is readily doable with the SY-1000, but I was mucking around with the SY when my son was over for a practice, and he commented that it would be nice to be able to select some of the ambient/pad/swell sounds at various times, as a background sound.

I have looked at a lot of the factory presets and there are some sounds that I think I could start with, but they are all designed with the dominant sound being the ambient etc sound, with almost no guitar sound.  I would like to be able to have the guitar sound, with one CTRL selecting the delay or gain, I suspect using the NORMAL effect line; and then a second CTRL selecting an ambient or swell sound, probably additionally.

Is there any preset/patch around that could do something similar?

Kevin M

You might start by taking a deep look at the ambient patches you mentioned and try to use them as a starting point for creating the patch you need.

Dunny Daw

Quote from: Kevin M on August 09, 2021, 08:20:05 PM
You might start by taking a deep look at the ambient patches you mentioned and try to use them as a starting point for creating the patch you need.

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes, of course I have already tried a number of times to modify existing patches to achieve what I was looking for.  Most times I resulted in patches where the blending of sounds one to the other were too sharp, discontiguous, and not acceptable.

I was hoping to find other patches where something similar had already been done, so i could look at that and see how to go forward.

I was listening to a patch by Smash in VG-99; "Escapism - spatial ambient with crunch strat lead", and although it relies on an FC-300, I still might look to see what he has done and see if that can somehow translate to SY-1000.

jozart

Ways to add NORMAL:

• Enable the NORMAL path, and use an expression pedal to control the ambient/normal balance.
  • In each of the three instrument paths, you can mix-in normal pickup.
  • If the instrument is DYN synth, you can select INPUT waveform, which uses the pickup sound.

What ambient patches do you like? 07-3 Super Shimmer?

gumtown

Add a Boss EXP-30 expression pedal so you can mix synth pads as & when you wish.
Heel down for normal guitar only, toe down for synth only, and a mix of both in between. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Dunny Daw

Thanks for the responses, and suggestions to try.

I don't have a Boss EXP-30, but I do have a Roland EV-5 here somewhere, so I might dig that out and give it a try.  I was hoping to avoid using an expression pedal, as it is just one more item for me to carry around and set up (although I think everyone else uses one no matter what).  So I might just have to take a concrete pill, toughen up, and start carrying one around.

But it did get me thinking - I tend to use the GK VOL knob as a volume control, but I might look at using it as a way to more smoothly blend the two different sounds.

Quote from: jozart on August 09, 2021, 09:37:03 PM
Ways to add NORMAL:

• In each of the three instrument paths, you can mix-in normal pickup.
  • If the instrument is DYN synth, you can select INPUT waveform, which uses the pickup sound.

I wasn't aware of either of these - I will have to go over the manuals to sort out this option and see how to do this.  Thanks very much for this info.

Quote from: jozart on August 09, 2021, 09:37:03 PM

What ambient patches do you like? 07-3 Super Shimmer?

There were a few I looked at and experimented with.

I first looked at P01-3 12STR ORCH, and tried to change the Inst 3 Acoustic Guitar for an E Guitar, but had some pretty terrible results.
I have been mucking around with P42-2 Big Strings, because the Normal is already activated, but the swell becomes quite dominant and when the three Inst's are turned on, the guitar sound is totally dominated.

Sound wise, as you say,  P07-3 Super Shimmer is very nice, and 13-2 Ambient Scape and 18-3 ST&Synth are OK, once I turn off the Tremolo FX.  But as they say in the classics, I'm still not getting the sound I hear in my head from those patches.  That might come once I sort out the blending of sound, then start playing with the ambient/pad/shimmer sound.