Boss BE-5: a a bit of a bargain

Started by Antonuzzo, July 27, 2021, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

I picked up one of these recently for very little money indeed and I'm realising that it's a little gem.

If you don't know already, it's (I think) the first Boss multi-effects; but rather than being patch-based, it's essentially five Boss pedals mashed together with separate switches and controls for each.

I'd been looking out for a compressor, particularly a CS-2 or CS-3; but this ended up costing less. Which is quite a good deal when you consider that it also includes an overdrive / distortion (based on OS-2), a digital delay (based on DD-3), a noise suppressor (presumably NS-2) and an analogue chorus (based on CE-3). The latter can be also used as a tremolo if you're clever with your output plugs.

What that adds up to is a selection of older but still very usable Boss effects in a very small form factor (albeit plastic) for less than £100. It's a warm-sounding unit too.

Anyone else still rocking one of these?

carlb

I had the Boss ME-50, which is similar in philosophy. I really liked the dedicated real knobs.

These are just very cool, really simple to use multi effect units that luckily sound quite good too.

Enjoy!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

roachone

Never seen that one! Cool little pedal. I like the concept. Look at the BE-5M when you get a chance.

Antonuzzo

That was the programmable version, I think?

What I like about the BE-5 is that it has no patches - just stomps in a very small form factor. I like the ME series too, in that respect.

wildschwein