MIDX-10 and MIDX-20 for Variax.

Started by rockmancentralbob, April 08, 2021, 06:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockmancentralbob

Is the MIDX-10 or MIDX-20 still needed for GP-10?
Will the MIDX-10 or MIDX-20 work with a Variax JTV (to control the JTV guitar models/tuning via MIDI patches or CC/SYSEX commands)?

Is the MIDX-20 still available?  Don't see any available on the Website.

CodeSmart

The intense work and investment in a new product (GX-2) has left no time and money for producing new MIDX and GKPX units at this time.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

rockmancentralbob

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a significant difference between the MIDX-10 and MIDX-20? 
It looks like the 20 can control multiple units where the 10 can only control one? 
Is that correct?

Otherwise, are they the same, do they use the same editor?

Will the MIDX-10 or MIDX-20 work with a Variax JTV (to control the JTV guitar models/tuning via MIDI patches or CC/SYSEX commands)?
It seems like it should be possible if you can figure out the SYSEX messages to send to the Variax.

Sorry for all the questions... I have tried to read up on it, but just haven't been able to find the answers to these questions.

admin

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 09, 2021, 06:32:52 AM

It seems like it should be possible if you can figure out the SYSEX messages to send to the Variax.

Sorry for all the questions... I have tried to read up on it, but just haven't been able to find the answers to these questions.

MIDX-20 was never designed to work as a Variax MIDI Adapter

Here is all we know about Variax MIDI Control.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13484.0

rockmancentralbob

I understand it wasn't designed to, but if it can send pre-programmed MIDI SYSEX messages, then in theory, it's just a matter of figuring out what SYSEX messages to send.
I read that whole thread, and XavierB made this post:

@tone_crafter - I can confirm that the standard PC MIDI messages still work with the JTV and newer firmwares, I have v2.21 on my Variax and it works fine.

I used a MIDI monitoring software (IIRC one of the REAPER plugins) to find out the SYSEX used to switch to another tuning using MIDI, and sending that to the Variax worked. Basically, you plug the Variax OUT into the IN of a computer and watch the MIDI messages it sends - you can find out anything the Variax will reply to that way. Another SYSEX that was useful was for the one to switch to mag (instead of piezo) pickups and vice versa, but these days I use a model that has a mix of piezo and mags, that's a lot easier.

He says that it still works with standard PC MIDI messages (so does that mean I can still send patch changes to change "patches"  ie guitar models?) and he was able to get the SYSEX messages, but I can't see where he ever followed up to provide those SYSEX messages after being asked about it.  I'm just wondering if I missed it or someone else has more info on it (maybe from another thread?).