a few questions about the vg8's capabilities

Started by maninashed, March 22, 2021, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maninashed

hello everyone, first post hah

I'll just get to it, I have an idea of what I'd like to do with the vg8 but there's so little information out there about it I don't know if it's able to do what I hear in my head

I'm mostly interested in using the hrm stuff, from what I gather it works in a similar way to one of my favourite vst synths xfer's serum

what I can't find any information about is can you change the sound of each string individually? like could I make the low 3 strings more of a plucked sound, the highest 2 more bell like and then the other something else? can you stack sounds? can I put reverb on just a few of the strings, or have a long reverb on some and short on others? is it capable of doing reverse reverb?

thanks, sorry I know it's a lot of questions

admin

Quote from: maninashed on March 22, 2021, 05:25:03 PM
hello everyone, first post hah

I'll just get to it, I have an idea of what I'd like to do with the vg8 but there's so little information out there about it I don't know if it's able to do what I hear in my head

I'm mostly interested in using the hrm stuff, from what I gather it works in a similar way to one of my favourite vst synths xfer's serum

what I can't find any information about is can you change the sound of each string individually? like could I make the low 3 strings more of a plucked sound, the highest 2 more bell like and then the other something else? can you stack sounds? can I put reverb on just a few of the strings, or have a long reverb on some and short on others? is it capable of doing reverse reverb?

thanks, sorry I know it's a lot of questions

There Is a string split function but not 6 separate sounds /one per string

Typical is dual voice type patch where bottom E, A string cover bass and top 4 strings cover one synth voice or modeled guitar voice
Reverb is global-not capable of separate reverb setting per string

Read the VG-8EX pdf

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VG-8EX_OM.pdf

FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11090.0

maninashed

Quote from: admin on March 22, 2021, 05:30:55 PM
There Is a string split function but not 6 separate sounds /one per string

Typical is dual voice type patch where bottom E, A string cover bass and top 4 strings cover one synth voice or modeled guitar voice
Reverb is global-not capable of separate reverb setting per string

Read the VG-8EX pdf

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VG-8EX_OM.pdf

FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11090.0

aw dang, is there anything capable of what I mentioned hah?

admin

Fishman Tripleplay feeding a Emu Proteus with each output feeding an Eventide H9000

Or Boss SY-1000 allows three separate synth /modeled instruments-two strings per instrument model/synth

admin

Or a GK-3 guitar feeding a  Synquanon Rack

https://www.synquanon.com/

maninashed

oooof, anybody want a kidney hah?

yeah my next thought was either eurorack or a really beefy computer

maninashed

Quote from: admin on March 22, 2021, 05:50:32 PM
Or a GK-3 guitar feeding a  Synquanon Rack

https://www.synquanon.com/

I guess the other thing I was interested in was the changing of tunings as well, you could do that with a computer but I assume there isn't a eurorack module for that? sorry for all the questions hah

edit: oh synquanon has one for tunings, but it says its midi? I wanted to keep the nuances of my picking like the hrm stuff

admin

or a GP-10 and use 8 channels of USB Audio ( separate dry Audio channel per each string) into 6 instances of Amplitube (- one per string) or into apple mainstage, Live Professor, etc,

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10805.0

chrish

Just go for the VG8 s1 or VG8EX.  The pitch shifter is very good as well as the HRM stuff. Lots of patches available from the old vg8 site archive.

Just adding a -12 pitch shifter mixed in with a parallel analog guitar makes it sound huge.

They don't cost that  much and the box shape has full stealth radar capabilities.

But run it through a separate better Reverb.

maninashed

I've been interested in modular sh** for years so this is as good enough of a reason as any to take the plunge hahaha

do any of you guys have some of the synquanon stuff? the only things I'm interested in is the atg module and then one of the modules to split the six strings, I'm just not sure which one to get. also the atg says it's midi, does that mean its not keeping the original wave form or whatever of each string?

lemme know if there's a better sub to be asking these questions hah

admin

Quote from: maninashed on March 22, 2021, 10:23:30 PM
I've been interested in modular sh** for years so this is as good enough of a reason as any to take the plunge hahaha

do any of you guys have some of the synquanon stuff? the only things I'm interested in is the atg module and then one of the modules to split the six strings, I'm just not sure which one to get. also the atg says it's midi, does that mean its not keeping the original wave form or whatever of each string?

lemme know if there's a better sub to be asking these questions hah

PM the  synquanon owner/ guru - Guitarbuilder

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=10291

maninashed

I've done some thinking and I think what would be best for me is a vg99, I just want the most string separation possible for not an insane amount of money hah

I also like how it has the software for making patches which I'm much more accustomed to

I was planing on getting a godin multiac nylon guy but after doing some research they don't really work together well?

again sorry for all the questions I've been a pre 70s vintage gear dude for years

modalmojo

Does anyone know if a distortion/overdrive block can be placed within a VIO guitar or HRM algorithm in SY-1000?  This is something VG-8EX cannot do, I will be interested in getting a SY-1000 if this can be done.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: modalmojo on April 18, 2021, 08:19:09 AM
Does anyone know if a distortion/overdrive block can be placed within a VIO guitar or HRM algorithm in SY-1000?  This is something VG-8EX cannot do, I will be interested in getting a SY-1000 if this can be done.

No

At the moment nothing can be placed inside the instrument blocks ( or before it for that matter).
We're hoping for a firmware update ( for many different reasons and this issue is one of them , no dist or wha after a electric modeled guitar , before a guitar amp  ??? ::) )
But I'm not holding my breath.
The GP-10 , the SY-300 and the SY-1000 where/are left without any real updates , I'm not sure why ROlanD/Boss still holds on to this ridiculous notion of not listening to its user base.  :-\
Most other companies do.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on April 18, 2021, 09:33:55 AM
No

At the moment nothing can be placed inside the instrument blocks ( or before it for that matter).
We're hoping for a firmware update ( for many different reasons and this issue is one of them , no dist or wha after a electric modeled guitar , before a guitar amp  ??? ::) )
But I'm not holding my breath.
The GP-10 , the SY-300 and the SY-1000 where/are left without any real updates , I'm not sure why ROlanD/Boss still holds on to this ridiculous notion of not listening to its user base.  :-\
Most other companies do.
In fairness to Roland, they do listen to some extent.

My understanding is that the VG99 was based upon input from members of Aure's VG8 forum.

The SY1000 was based upon user dissatisfaction with the sy-300 polyphonic pitch detection, with your poly demo being the impetus for the change back to 13 pin hex input. That's actually quite an accomplishment that you should be proud of.

We have to remember we are a small niche market.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on April 18, 2021, 09:59:13 AM
In fairness to Roland, they do listen to some extent.

My understanding is that the VG99 was based upon input from members of Aure's VG8 forum.

The SY1000 was based upon user dissatisfaction with the sy-300 polyphonic pitch detection, with your poly demo being the impetus for the change back to 13 pin hex input. That's actually quite an accomplishment that you should be proud of.

We have to remember we are a small niche market.

I agree they do listen to some extent,
also I feel a bit "proud" of the polyphonic demo.
But I used to have a good repore with ROlanD , way back when vg8 and 88 came along.
They also did listen to the complaints about the rc-505s noise gate that cut and stuttered reverb tails and low volume sounds , it wasn't adjustable. And they added a whole bunch of new features.
The same with the updates for vg 8 and 88 , but presently and for many years back.......

They do listen but only " half ass " , they leave things hanging , unfinished.
Not a good way to keep customers, although niche , that contribute to a large extent
with solutions, workarounds etc etc that benefit the more not niche equipment.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch