Barely used SY1000 and rare Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy with GK3 SOLD

Started by atomheart411, March 01, 2021, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomheart411

If you check my recent posts you will find that I suffered sudden hearing loss in one ear over the holidays. Two months later I'm facing the fact that this is probably permanent. My doctor is calling it Meniere's. It is deafness but also extremely noisy, like tinnitus times a thousand. Point is that complex sounds (like a synth) have become very difficult for me to process. And I can't hear those big lush stereo patches anyway. I bought the synth and GK3 from Sweetwater just in September. So I got just a couple of months into learning it before this happened.  Have barely touched it since Christmas. It never left my studio. I installed the GK3 on a beautiful Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy HH2 in Walnut with abalone appointments. Such a great combination. I thought I'd be playing with this rig for the rest of my life but it's just not any fun anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars already trying to resolve this hearing loss with no luck. So I'm selling a bunch of gear to fund more . Gear comes and gear goes. If I sold everything  and eventually found a cure it would be worth it. I'll have fun buying new stuff. So I'm starting with the gear that is most unusable to me at the moment. I will sell these separately but would love to sell together. Separately I let the SY1000 go for $900. I paid $1500 for the Holdsworth before the GK3 ($213)  went on. Comes with original hardshell case. Asking $1400. If somebody would like both I'll make a special offer at $2200. These guitars are getting to be extremely rare and are very unique in design. It's fully hollow. No F holes. And the top and back do not touch the inner bracing which consists of set of twin wooden beams that run from the neck to the bridge. They made a headless version but I prefer a standard set up with , in this case, locking Sperzels tuners. Here's Alan describing the Fatboy.

Now_And_Then

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your situation, and I'm hoping you'll have good reason to reacquire this stuff in the not too distant future.

: )

Vaultnaemsae

I had a fatboy some years ago but sold it to finance another guitar. Can recommend as a very comfortable and lightweight instrument. Unfortunately not in a position to grab this now. Hope you find some relief. I actually have two friends who experienced the same condition...one a pro muso. Take care of yourself.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

gumbo

I'm sure I'm not the only ageing, tinnitus-suffering Forum Member who wishes you well again..
...take good care of yourself and ALWAYS place your health first.

Kindest regards,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

whippinpost91850

BROCKSTAR

hey best of luck and I've been suffering from tinnitus for 2 years, but to be honest there's really no cure for it. It's hard but the best thing to do is ignore it, easier said then done I know. I have good days and bad days but I don't let it stop me from enjoying music when I can :) whatever you do I hope you find some comfort and peace through it all.

vtgearhead

One can definitely survive tinnitus.  I've been listening to whistles and distant sirens since an ill-advised course of Erythromycin in 1990.  Meditation and/or bio-feedback can be helpful.  I've gotten to the point where I can place mental notch-filters right on top of most offenders.  There are many known ototoxic drugs out there and it's a good idea to ask questions when you are on the receiving end of a new medication.

atomheart411

I should never use the word tinnitus in any posts. It seems like people see that and immediately glom onto it without understanding the rest. It's not tinnitus. It's Meniere's. I don't know anyone who has gone completely deaf from tinnitus. I could be wrong. But Meniere's is a very different condition. I only want to clarify because if it was 'only' tinnitus ( not saying that's not a drag) I wouldn't even mention it. I'm pretty sure anyone who has been playing in an electrified band setting for 20-30 years is going to have some tinnitus. I did for years. Thankfully not bad. Not enough that it made any difference in any activities. I do appreciate the empathy however. Some people do regain some amount of hearing after a while with Meniere's . Rarely all of it. Maybe I'll get lucky. But I've run out of medical options short of a cochlear implant. I'm not even a good candidate for that as it is right now.

But again, thank you all for the kind words.  And I lowered the price on the SY1000 to $850.

aliensporebomb

Unfortunately I know 3 musicians all of whom were affected by Meniere's - two keyboardists and one guitarist.

The guitar player actually found his meniere's wasn't really menieres - it was a by product of a pinched nerve that affected his entire body in some ways..
Very strange situation to say the least but he also has trigger finger in his hands in addition to that so guitar is difficult but he's continuing on.
He's had a lot of medical procedures.

One of the two keyboardists went off to an IT career and I think dabbles with it as a hobby but hasn't done a lot recently.
I bought an effects rack from him when he was moving across country with his wife to be near her mom.

The third had an experimental surgery so he's got hearing in one ear but not the other but has continued in music:
His website was supposed to have a section on his journey with Meniere's but he hasn't updated the site as yet.

I've played with him in several projects, great keyboard player and singer - he has a lot of projects going on despite his menieres.

http://davidalstead.com
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Quotehe also has trigger finger in his hands in addition to that so guitar is difficult but he's continuing on.
He's had a lot of medical procedures.

Using this between sets allows me to play live gigs  - with my emerging trigger finger issues

Lunix LX3 Cordless Electric Hand Massager with Compression, 6 Levels Pressure Point Therapy Massager for Arthritis, Pain Relief, Carpal Tunnel and Finger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QNFWY7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

atomheart411

I'm fairly disinclined to undertake drastic measures as of yet. That may change. I can't mix anything but I can play. And I've found a happy place, less happy to be sure , but happy none the less. The body and the spirit tries to adapt. In a funny kind of way this has been a positive. I find myself feeling freer. Going places I felt less confident in but caring less about failure. Caring more about trying. I heartily recommend that attitude.  Time is always less than we think. Watching your personal history will fool your self into thinking it will keep a more or less consistent pace. Nature isn't that way.  Feeling the burn of time certainly is a goad and feeling your body taking big leaps of decline is like shock therapy. Stop second guessing what you're capable of and just go for it. Do it in your practice and let sneak into your performance.  And it will. But not unless you touch that flame to begin with you won't really know what you are capable of. The best way to expand your abilities is to try what you think you can't do. Your native intelligence will tell what what works or not.  It works? Do it more. It doesn't wok? Change it. Sounds simplistic but I think it works.

That hand massager looks really cool. My arthritis could enjoy that. I know there are people far worse off than me and I pray for their recovery.  We're all just following the irresistible urge to be expressive and creative. Honestly the very urge to do that is such a gift . A gift that I've enjoyed since I was ten. Yes it will inevitably be frustrated.But it's not like I did not have limitations before. just a bit more now.

gumbo

Quote from: atomheart411 on March 08, 2021, 10:40:28 PM
I'm fairly disinclined to undertake drastic measures as of yet. That may change. I can't mix anything but I can play. And I've found a happy place, less happy to be sure , but happy none the less. The body and the spirit tries to adapt. In a funny kind of way this has been a positive. I find myself feeling freer. ..........

Thank you for your words and sentiments....we could all do well to heed them as we grapple with change.

I am sure that your heartfelt thoughts will carry you through this, and I am humbled by your dedication and honesty with yourself ...  congratulations for a job that you are doing exceptionally well.

Kindest regards,
Peter

chrish

Quote from: atomheart411 on March 08, 2021, 10:40:28 PM
We're all just following the irresistible urge to be expressive and creative. Honestly the very urge to do that is such a gift . A gift that I've enjoyed since I was ten.
I started playing guitar because it seemed, from watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, that girls were attracted to musicians. ;D

gumbo

Quote from: chrish on March 09, 2021, 11:57:22 AM
I started playing guitar because it seemed, from watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, that girls were attracted to musicians. ;D

....so you took up skiing to get away from them ?    ::)

chrish

Quote from: gumbo on March 10, 2021, 02:56:12 AM
....so you took up skiing to get away from them ?    ::)
I thought skiing might help also. ;)

The guitar thing worked BTW. Met my wife when she was 18 and been together for 43 years now.

Apparently it has to do with being a creative 'caveman'. ;D

https://www.travelclef.com/post/2018/06/12/5-reasons-why-male-musicians-are-more-attractive-to-women

"Research have shown that such phenomena, which is also known as the "Musician Effect" today, was related to the cavemen days. If a man had the time to be creative, it meant that they were so talented at basic survival skills they had chance to create art at their own free time, making them extra attractive."

sunbambino

I would suggest you check out the ancient Chinese practice of Beating the Heavenly Drum (several vids on Youtube). I cured myself of severe tinnitus with this technique, you need to be diligent and flow the procedures exactly as instructed, eyes closed, numbers of repetitions etc. Good luck!!!