My Frankenstein conversion

Started by TechFixer, February 04, 2021, 07:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechFixer

Hey all,

Many years ago I bought a Peavey AT-200, then upgraded to the full pack. However I'm a lefty who plays upside down righty and the AT-200 never really worked well for me. The balance is wrong, you hit the controls when you don't want to and it was just not a player. So I decided to do a transplant. I have an American Strat but I would NEVER hack that baby. I've done a transplant before with another Peavey lefty (Line 6 Variax 500) and it came out very well.

So a few months ago I found a lefty Peavey predator EXP plus for $100. It has the same control layout and pickup config as the AT-200. I didn't really want a locking system but options don't come by often so.. On eBay I bought a righty Ghost Floyd Rose bridge that I was able to transplant the pickups to the lefty peavey Floyd bridge.

Routed out the new Peavey for the electronics (didn't have a router at the time so I did with a forstner bit. I since got a router and will clean it up. Added copper foil tape to the well and the inside of the cover.

I also wanted longer run time so I opted for a LiPo battery. Unfortunately I have to remove it to charge it.
I'll work on making some kind of adapter plug down the road.

Anyway after a bit of Floyd setup blues she plays great, sounds good and feels good!

Techman
Hi, I'm TechFixer.... I'm a gear-A-Holic and I have a problem. (Hi TechFixer!!) Pretty much every Roland guitar synth from the GR-50 to the VG-99. Roland VGA amps too. Lefty Line 6 500 Variax (converted to strung righty) FrankenPeavey ATG and Fishman TP

admin

(Thanks for sharing - good job! )

aliensporebomb

Highly impressive job!  I love it when people do stuff like this! 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Den.

Re: "... I was able to transplant the pickups to the lefty peavey Floyd bridge."
================================================
Do you mean to say that you swapped the Ghost piezo saddles from the eBay Floyd Rose bridge to the Predator's bridge?

HecticArt

That's a pretty slick bit of work. Nice job!

AlakaLazlo

Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

whippinpost91850

From one Lefty to another, Very nicely done

Random1

Wow! Great Job. I wish I had the skill to pull of something like that. I would like to put my GK and my TP on the inside of my AT-200.