New builder looking for guidance

Started by mmjarec, January 16, 2021, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmjarec

So I've recently discovered cyfi and bartolini after researching GK-3 and hex pickups. I have zero experience doing anything more than changing strings.

But I have decided to Try to do it myself and if All lease fails get a luthier to do it. I've decided to with nu v2

Start by ordering a warmoth strat with generic pickup cavities and no cutaways. I would have it as h/s/s or h/h/s but the large universal rout would let me use any configuration, right?

I was wanting to either use a hex alongside say an EMG single coil but not sure about how hex pickups interact with actives. If not possible would just do a h/s/s and use passives for both the neck and middle positions. I would really like to stick a bartolini humbucker in the neck along with the EQ preamp to go with it. Will this work also not sure the cavity is big enough since I'd like to have at least a 5 pot 1 switch setup.

First question should I get it with no pre drilled holes for the bridge/whammy bar? I was also thinking it would be nice to be able to use the hex pickup and others at same time with a mix control.

I've read up on guitarbuilder  builds and would like to do something similar minus all the relays and some complexities.

Looked up all this and my mind is melting I started with ubertar which looked optimal because I wouldn't need an external box but that guy I guess is out of business.

I planned on just ordering the body, hex pickup and bertolini pickup(along with the pre wired harness) and just handing them to a luthier and sending him wiring diagrams and links to here( I live in tiny town. Only luthier is ametuer).

But I worry that no warmoth body will hold all the electronics for  8 pits and two 3 way switches. 

My controls would be based off the row wired harness from bartolini I figured the luthier could adapt the hex pickup and drill a few more routs if need for the hex controls.

Here is the pre amp and wiring kit 3 Band NTMB+F Preamp - HR-5.4

https://bartolini.net/application/hr5s/

Here's the pups I was interested in not sure what the best bertolini is but this would go in the neck.

https://bartolini.net/product/vseries/

Not sure if I should go nexus regular or nexus gk kit Idk if I had a sy 1000 that I would need the midi board I don't need to send midi from my guitar but I may in the future. I don't want to have to redo this after I figure out I can't do it and have to pay a luthier. Here's the kit

https://www.cycfi.com/product/nexus-gk-gk-set/

I've lurked here for three days straight and you guys seem nice so please give me some guidance I know I am way too far out over my skis but first I need to know if it's even possible before I start.

Sorry in advance for the barrage of disjoined and uninformed questions. But I want to get full sy-1000 experience and don't want to go modding my LP custom

I looked at fishman fluence as well but bartolini I picked because it had better views but I'd be interested in the advice from those that have actually done the mods and played the pickups

My ultimate goal is to route it thru neural quad cortex since you can run four signal chains with four amps simultaneously.

Brent Flash

gumbo

Welcome to the Forum !

Send a Personal Message to GuitarBuilder about your questions, in case he misses this thread.

I'm sure he will be able to help you with some answers.

CHeers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...