VC-touch

Started by sixeight, October 29, 2020, 02:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

Here is a screenshot of the current design of the enclosure.

Switches are further apart. Also the design of the bottom plate has changed, to make it easier to open it. So now we will move on and see if we can make some prototypes of this design.

Stay tuned...

whippinpost91850

What is the case made of,  and what are the dimensions

sixeight

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 12, 2021, 07:51:28 AM
What is the case made of,  and what are the dimensions

The case is made of three metal sheets. The sides and display holder will be 3D printed (PLA or other filament). And there is a plexiglas sheet over the touch screen that can be opened up.

I would have preferred a thick gorilla glass cover over the display, but I am unable to find a supplier that can supply thick gorilla glass cut to size that is affordable.

I do not have the exact dimensions but it is roughly the size of A4 paper (30 cm wide, 20 cm deep). Probably similar to the Quad Cortex.

whippinpost91850

Thanks, I was curious what you used. I'm making an aluminum case for my GR55, so it will be a lot lighter
Unfortunately constrained by larger circuit board

Tone Jones

Any updates on this project? Super interested!

sixeight

Quote from: Tone Jones on November 03, 2021, 09:17:46 AM
Any updates on this project? Super interested!

So far it is looking good. Software is working great for the most part. . The last hurdle is the enclosure. I lost my source for sheet metal cutting. I approached some other companies, but haven't heard from most. I still have options, but it takes time.

fabien251

hi ! Do you plan to share the project source ?

sixeight

Quote from: fabien251 on November 19, 2021, 03:22:33 AM
hi ! Do you plan to share the project source ?

I will. I probably should share my library for the display as well, even though it is a bit rough at the edges.

My plan is to share everything apart from the PCB design. I will sell boards for it.

sixeight

I just ordered the aluminium sheet metal and polycarbonate windows for the first 10 enclosures. I finally found someone who can cut and bend these for me.

sixeight

Picked up the aluminium enclosures today and checked if the electronics fit. It fits!

I'll see if I can build a better looking prototype this weekend.

The plan is to anodyze the aluminum, but so far companies that can do this are not responding.

sixeight

Built the prototype. But now my display is broken. Ordered two new ones. Should be here next week hopefully.

The enclosure has been wrapped. The 3d printed sides will need a revision and the middle switch will need a support.

But we will get there eventually.

sixeight

Finally got the replacement displays and got them up and running.

It is hard to make pictures. I had to turn the brightness all the way down. But here it is: the first VC-touch.

I am close to start up production, but there are still some issues left:
- redesign the sides for easier assembly.
- anodising turns out to be really expensive. Looking for alternatives here.
- finalizing firmware.
- update editor for VC-touch.

whippinpost91850

Very impressive and innovative looking piece of gear

aliensporebomb

Wow!  Awesome!   And all of those extra footswitches.   Really cool!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rsera

Looks fantastic, when can I get one?

sixeight

Quote from: rsera on January 02, 2022, 06:17:34 AM
Looks fantastic, when can I get one?

When it is ready.  ;D

I really need to sort out some isues. The main one is the finishing of the enclosure. My initial plan was anodizing, but that is quite expensive. My new contact in building enclosures is checking out alternatives.

I have been doing a lot of work on VC-edit, the editor for the VController, VC-mini and VC-touch. There is now one editor that supports all three devices, which will save a lot of time in compiling whenever there is a firmware update. I need to sort out the last issues and then do some more testing.

I hope it all will be ready soon. But things always take longer then expected. It doesn't help that we are in lockdown in the Netherlands.

CodeSmart

Quote from: sixeight on January 02, 2022, 10:29:59 AM
When it is ready.  ;D

Yup, know all about that. Don't rush. It's ready when the fat lady sings.
The thing looks super cool, nice work Catrinus  :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

rsera

Thanks for the quick reply. All good things come to those who wait. I'm surprised Germany is not in full lockdown.

sixeight

VC-edit is looking very good now. I got a bit carried away on the remote control part, but it is working great!

gumtown

That is looking great !!  8)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vanceg

Just gets better and better.   

bartve

What incredible nice piece of hardware, how do you do this, really? Although I have yet not discovered all the possibilities of my VC-mini, I am tempted!
If a really small piece of 'constructive criticism' is allowed: maybe the graphic design of the display (ic the information on it: fonts, colors, lines, boxes, etc.) could be improved a bit, and maybe along the graphic design also the interface interaction logic (what to show when, and make it as intuitive as possible). I had some trouble finding my way through the VC-mini menu's ...
I'm just shouting from the sideline, wouldn't know how to do it or where to start ...

sixeight

Quote from: bartve on January 15, 2022, 02:18:28 AM
What incredible niece piece of hardware, how do you do this, really? Although I have yet not discovered all the possibilities of my VC-mini, I am tempted!
If a really small piece of 'constructive criticism' is allowed: maybe the graphic design of the display (ic the information on it: fonts, colors, lines, boxes, etc.) could be improved a bit, and maybe along the graphic design also the interface interaction logic (what to show when, and make it as intuitive as possible). I had some trouble finding my way through the VC-mini menu's ...
I'm just shouting from the sideline, wouldn't know how to do it or where to start ...

Thanks bartve. The VC-mini is challenged with a small display that can only show 2 lines of 16 characters. Yet it is feature packed. So navigating on the unit is a bit of a challenge. I really recommend using VC-edit to explore the device.

The VC-touch is a work in progress. I will probably add symbols to the switch labels to make it easier to know whether a switch is controlling patch selection, an effect of a snapshot, etc.

The touch screen makes navigating this device a very different experience. It is much faster than pressing switches. A new feature I recently added is the possibility to drag on a label and select a value that way.

If you have ideas they are always welcome. But do make them specific.

I will make a video once it is really ready.

2kat58

Quote from: sixeight on January 05, 2022, 04:45:42 AM

VC-edit is looking very good now. I got a bit carried away on the remote control part, but it is working great!
. Can't wait to make this my next project!!!!! This looks like everything I ever wanted in a midi controller!!

sixeight

Well, it looks like things are coming to a completion. I finally have the enclosures anodised. The last action is to mill the letters on the anodised aluminium. I just recieved the last price quote, so I can finalize my pricing now.

It turned out to be more expensive than I thought beforehand, but it is also looking much better than I thought beforehand.

My price for this first batch of 10 units is this:

Full VC-touch assembled and tested: €560
Just the PCB board: €40
PCB plus enclosure: €260
PCB, enclosure and display: €360
Prices include shipping.

The enclosure is made of anodised aluminum with3D printed sides. Looking really professional.
The display is €100, as I always get charged taxes afterwards. It is cheaper to buy directly from BuyDisplay.

If you are interested to get on the waitlist, send me an email on sixeightsoundcontrol@gmail.com.