DYNAMIC SYNTH has strong 8v + 5th sound

Started by stub, August 07, 2020, 06:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

I was just checking out the bass mode, and noticed that the few examples of synth tones all sounded like they have an added 5th above. But I don't think they do. Is that just a feature of the bass synth tones, or is it something about my bass sound?

Anyone else notice that?

fokof

No

A couple of patches are harmonized but not all of them.

Check if you have a controller assigned to harmonizer

stub

Thanks for responding.

I tried a few of the patches, and in the editor I turned things off. Single notes sound like "power chords". I also looked to see if it was something like the input distorting, but even with my bass volume way down, it's still like the overtones aren't a regular saw. Maybe the odd harmonics are standing out. It seems similar for all the wave types of the dynamic synth.

Ok, at least it's not something everyone is hearing.

jongrant

I have noticed this with the SY-300 (I sometime use it to beef up a wimpy bass sound that a client sends me - a quick way to add a sub bass). Certain notes, depending on the guitar used, seem to have that overtone. Sometimes it's untameable.

I will try to compare the normal guitar input with the 13-pin guitar input to see how the divided pickup might reduce this.

stub

Thanks for confirming. I wasn't imagining it. Let me know what you learn.

jongrant

After a quick test, I immediately found that using the divided pickup makes a HUGE difference in taming the 5th overtone. It actually seemed to eliminate it almost entirely, but I just did a quick test.

I usually just use a dynamic synth or Analog GR with a fair amount of top end taken off underneath a modelled (or real-world) bass sound to provide support and some tasty sustain/tail, so the overtone may not be that noticeable in what I do.

Still, it clearly made a massive difference.

If you don't have a divided pickup, you should start looking out for a used one. They do pop up from time to time.

stub

I have a guitar with a piezo GK bridge.

I definitely plan to get a divided pickup for one of my basses (probably my new fretless) one of these days.

stub

I spent several hours today with my GK guitar, going through presets.

I can confirm that the Dynamic Synth definitely has this 5th-dominant (no pun intended) sound, even on the guitar. All of the waveforms except "input" have it. I strongly suspect that the strong 2nd overtone (octave+fifth) is NOT a sine-- so it has it's own overtones--which is why it sounds like a distinct note.

I can confirm what @jongrant said, that with the non-dynamic synths, they are fine (i.e., that 5th sound isn't there).

stub

It's actually an octave and a 5th above the note.

stub

Ok, let's call it a strong 13th (octave plus a 5th).

It is not present in the GK (divided pickup) version of the Dynamic Synth.

I think it is just the nature of the way the normal-dyn-synth MUST respond polyphonically. Because all the overtones are present in the input tones, the engine can't differentiate overtones from notes- so it processes everything as a composite spectrum. It works surprisingly well, but the strong P13 (perfect 13) is just a necessary characteristic of the way the engine works.

Since I have a GK equipped guitar, it's not an issue, I can use the other version (6x mono-- as opposed to 1x poly).

If synth for bass was important to me, it would be another incentive to get the GK-3B

fokof

remotely related  :

- Just updates to the 1.06 Firmware ,

Gives a  lot better tracking but one thing I found is that while re-adjusting all my GK levels to get better tracking , I found that on one of my bass , the low E string was horrible with all synths. All other bass were OK.

I changed the string set and it got immediate better tracking.
My older E string had a strong 2nd harmonic (5th) @ it's source.