Katana 50 Mk II Latency for wet/dry

Started by LotsToLearn, July 31, 2020, 08:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LotsToLearn

Is it possible to pair the Katana with a tube amp for doing wet/dry? Somebody mentioned that it wouldn't work because of the latency of the Katana, so that the tube amp would have to be delayed by the same amount.

Does that make sense?
Has anyone tried wet/dry with a Katana and a tube amp?
I presume that wet/dry with two Katanas would be fine - true/false?
Does anyone know what the latency of the Katana is? It doesn't seem like it would be very much - some small number of milliseconds?

admin

Quote from: LotsToLearn on July 31, 2020, 08:28:20 PM
Is it possible to pair the Katana with a tube amp for doing wet/dry? Somebody mentioned that it wouldn't work because of the latency of the Katana, so that the tube amp would have to be delayed by the same amount.

Does that make sense?
Has anyone tried wet/dry with a Katana and a tube amp?
I presume that wet/dry with two Katanas would be fine - true/false?
Does anyone know what the latency of the Katana is? It doesn't seem like it would be very much - some small number of milliseconds?

Should work -- nothing to do with latency

Trick is for 100% wet - must create custom Katana with Reverb  & Delay  = DIRECT MIX = OFF

LotsToLearn

Thanks for that screenshot. I haven't gotten into that part of the Editor yet. I'll dig in there.

I was thinking of the more typical method of doing wet/dry, using a pedal board with a splitter to split my guitar signal - with the dry signal going to one amp and the wet effects going to the other amp.

The trouble is that tube amps are expensive and I don't have one yet, so if I can use my Katana as one of the amps, then it helps with the budget.

Cheers.

admin

Quote from: LotsToLearn on July 31, 2020, 09:12:27 PM
Thanks for that screenshot. I haven't gotten into that part of the Editor yet. I'll dig in there.

I was thinking of the more typical method of doing wet/dry, using a pedal board with a splitter to split my guitar signal - with the dry signal going to one amp and the wet effects going to the other amp.

The trouble is that tube amps are expensive and I don't have one yet, so if I can use my Katana as one of the amps, then it helps with the budget.

Cheers.

If on a budget  - Katana could be both your Wet effects and Wet Amp

and will work with any other amp with other amp as your  your  "Dry amp

Skip the Katana 50 - you need the FX Loop which is only on the Katana Head or Katana 100 watt models

LotsToLearn

Quote from: admin on July 31, 2020, 09:53:02 PM
Skip the Katana 50 - you need the FX Loop which is only on the Katana Head or Katana 100 watt models

Are you saying that it wouldn't work to connect a pedal board to the guitar input on the top of the Katana 50?
I don't understand why that wouldn't work.

Thanks.

LotsToLearn

I found a used Blackstar HT-5 locally at a fair price, tried it out and brought it home. It seems to work great with the HT-5 getting only the signal from my guitar and the K50 playing only wet effects. I don't hear any problem with latency - yet. So far, I've tried using my 3 pedals (Compression, Chorus, Delay) with and without K50 effects. It's cool hearing only guitar from the HT-5 and the effects from the K50. Adding Overdrive on the HT-5 is really nice.

I only play low gain overdrive, so the two amps balance out nicely, even with light overdrive on the HT-5 and Crunch, Lead or Brown on the K50.

But so far, I'm only playing at low volumes at home. The higher volume test is yet to come. I would have to guess that the K50 would have a lot more headroom than the HT-5.

LotsToLearn

After much experimenting, the setup that I like the best is to send Dry to K50 and Wet goes to the Blackstar. I have set up the 4 different channels on the K50 with Clean, Crunch, Lead and one channel Clean with effects for which I don't have pedals. I can also use the OverDrive on the HT-5R. It's amazing with the two amps doing something that adds to the other amp.