Adding a second speaker off my Katana (or 2nd amp with Katana)

Started by Janning, July 04, 2020, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janning

I have a Boss Katana 50 MKII.  I want to Add an external speaker to have a total of 2 speakers.  I have another 6 inch, 8 ohm speaker in a Squier Champ 15G Guitar Amp.  I'd really like to run both amps but without a $120+ ABY splitter it can't be done.
So, I temporarily disconnecte the Squire speaker and ran it to the  Katana speaker + and -.  I realize this is now a 4 ohm system....and NOT good (will double the current...bad! only did this for couple minutes.)

(FYI, I'm new to Guitar playing and amps, etc...only 2 months in, however, Very familiar on wiring series parallel etc in general)

So I have 2 questions, short of this  $120+ ABY splitter is there a way to run one guitar on both amps?
If not, and I just want to wire the 2 speakers together, I assume I'd better go in series (16 ohm) and it will not harm the Katana?

gumtown

My initials thoughts are why?
The 15G amps (IMO) sound terrible, but never mind about my opinion,

Speakers in series for 16 ohm will be fine, but make sure you speaker wiring doesn't get shorted to the amp chassis.

To run the 15G from the Katana, the MK2 100 watt models have special outputs to slave the 15G from, but the Katana 50 does not.
The only other option (except for the ABY Splitter option) is to do an internal mod to the Katana on the Headphones jack to prevent it from cutting off the amp & speaker when a plug is inserted to daisy chain to the 15G.

Otherwise just forget about the 15G and just get on playing the Katana  8)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

FWIW: I brought a 15G for my (then) 10 year old daughter and she thought it's tone sucked too, and since, she uses my Katana instead.
Again only just my personal opinion on the 15G.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

The best , easiest and maybe for creativity best choice is imo to get a stomp box that's has stereo out , like chorus, delay , flanger etc etc. and two extra cables.
(You don't even have to use it in fx mode, but it can make the playing different if not better.)

And sometimes a ( crappy) sounding amp can sound fantastic together with another amp my 5 öre worth. I'm not saying the the 15 G sounds crappy, I just remember pairing up weird combos of amps
a long time ago and sometimes it was a beaut.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch