Gr-30 no longer sends midi notes out

Started by OptionOblivion, April 27, 2020, 03:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptionOblivion

My GR-30 suddenly stopped sending midi note data and I'm not sure why. I recently got a new synth I was controlling with the GR-30, and it was working fine for a few days. It's strange because I can still send out midi cc with pedal #1 and by turning the synth volume knob. I have an Empress Zoia and it can receive the midi cc to control parameters, and until just now it could also receive midi notes in.

OptionOblivion

I tried a factory reset and still no midi notes; I'm guessing something inside is broken.

FreeTime

Is your receiving instrument set to the right MIDI channel ? Try Omni

chrish

You could try spraying electronic contact cleaner in all the midi jacks and cable plugs if you are sure you have all the  programming set up correctly.

gumtown

Another topic on the GR-33 recently resolved a similar issue, result being due to a setting "Local Control", with it "on" your midi notes go to the internal sound module,
with Local Control 'off' your midi notes go to the midi port and need midi from the DAW to return to play the sounds.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on May 01, 2020, 02:38:46 PM
Another topic on the GR-33 recently resolved a similar issue, result being due to a setting "Local Control", with it "on" your midi notes go to the internal sound module,
with Local Control 'off' your midi notes go to the midi port and need midi from the DAW to return to play the sounds.

Read all of:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28405.0;topicseen

HTH (maybe)
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

OptionOblivion

Hello all, thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. So I tried some deoxit on all the cable contacts, and I downloaded a midi monitoring software on my computer. The software confirms that only midi cc from the foot pedal is being sent out. Having local control off or on makes no difference in this; in both cases the monitor shows only midi cc. Does anyone know of a way to get these older units serviced? I may just pick up a replacement, but if there's a way to fix it I'd like to try. The internal sounds still play great as usual, so I assume some aspect of the pitch to midi is broken. This issue popped up so soon after I got a new synth that it has me curious. I don't see how this could cause issues though, since the synth only receives midi and doesn't send anything out to my other gear.   

Brent Flash

I would go over the setting mentioned on page 77 and 78 of the owner's manual again even if you have done so already. It is so easy to mix things up and have one thing working against the other for example MIDI soft thru etc. Good luck!

OptionOblivion

I figured out my problem, though I still don't quite understand why it works this way. For some reason when the program change setting on the Gr-30 is off, it doesn't send any midi note messages. When I change it to any number it starts to send midi notes again. It's my understanding that this setting is meant to change patches on external midi devices, so when you change to a patch on the Gr-30, you can set a specific patch change on the external device as well. Nothing I have read in the manual seems to explain why this would affect midi note messages. I ended up buying a replacement unit for no reason, but I guess I have a spare now at least.