Sound Question: How to sound "heavy" with the GT 10 at moderate volumes

Started by faglork, April 20, 2020, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faglork

Hi Everybody!

I am a sort of "experimental" guitar player using mostly heavily processed synthetic sounds which the GT 10 really delivers.

But right now I need a sort of "very heavy" metal sound ... the problem is we're a very special band: we don't have a singer but a "reciter" who reads poems to our sort of "avant garde" music.

Now, our last project is a poem that is so heavy (regarding the images it transmits) that we said "we have to play some heavy-metal-type music to this".
Our problem (as I see it): we don't play at typical heavy metal volumes. We usually have a nice-to-the-ear sorta "hi-fi-ish" sound ...

So how do I get a convincing heavy sound at moderate volumes? Is it even possible?

Any ideas how to do it (besides just crankin' up)?

Cheers,
Alex

Ernie Ball OLP MM1 w/GK3 PU, BOSS GT 10, Terratec AXON MKII Pitch to Midi Converter, KORG RADIAS, ROLAND D2, AKAI MPX8, all mixed with Behringer XENIX 1002B, straight into the Desk (NO amp). Lots of synths.

gumtown

All I can suggest is using a high gain amp model, dialing up the gain and dial down the amp output level in the GT-10.
Try using the pitchshifter or Pedal Bend at the start of the signal chain and tune down -2 semitone (or more).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mooncaine

At low volume, it's not gain as much as bass that you're gonna want, to convey this sense of 'heavy'. You'll want gain, too, but not so much that every bump of the string makes a knocking sound. But you want to feel the 'djent.'

Dial up the bass EQ somehow. On my Boss Heavy Metal pedal from back in the day, I'd crank that LOW knob up more when playing low volume, but cut it down when we played together as a band.

pauloshure

It will depend on how much weight you want in the effect you can use some simulators in low and get a heavy and defined sound, but it will depend on knowing what you want from a heavy sound

plexified

Highly suggest Micro Pitch Shift. Fine + 8 and up to +18 on one side. To make it simple a setting like :

Pitch 1 : 0

Pitch 2  : +12 Fine in cents or -12 (you can go up & down )

Level :   12 Wet or

Pre Delay :   12 Time in Milliseconds

Regeneration set low 4 - 12

PS 2 is Stereo if you want to get Wider or Larger sounding.( + on Left/- on Right)

Add this to your High Gain Amp. I'd dial in this before adding gain.