How to convert the Eastwood Peter Hook bass to GK?

Started by aure, March 09, 2020, 11:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aure

Hi guys,

This crowdfunded six string bass is about to end and I'm very tempted because of its unique characteristics. One of these characteristics is that the string spacing is 13.1mm kind of in-between a GK-3 (up to about 12mm) and a GK-3B (16-19mm).  I was wondering what kind of recommendations people would have for adding 13pin output? Replace the saddles with piezo or try the new custom magnetic options?

The crowdfunding ends day after tomorrow, so I have to decide soon!

Link to the bass crowdfunding site:

https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/peter-hook-signature/

Better photos and more info are here:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/eastwood-hooky-bass-6-pro-club.1439498/

mos6507

I have to say I love what Eastwood is doing and the way the crowdfunding facilitates a constant stream of oddballs that you'll never see anywhere else.  They already have two Bass VI instruments, the Sidejack VI and the TB64.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

gumtown

I think the regular GK-3-kit will do it, I use one on a Squier VM Bass vi
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: gumtown on March 09, 2020, 12:18:05 PM

One concern is if the Gk Processor's GK INPUT is set to "AUTO"  - the the Pin#9 Control Voltage on GK-KIT-GT-3 and GK-3 will report that it is a GK 13 Guitar Mode Preamp on some models

a Genuine GK-3B utilizes different value Pin#9 Control Voltages, intended to allow the Gk Processor's GK INPUT "AUTO" Input setting to report if a GK Guitar or Gk Bass is connected     

This varies from unit to unit

Rumor is the GR-55 and GR-20 recognize if a GK-3 or GK-3B is connected

The SY-1000 GK Pin #9 Control voltage characteristics are to be determined 

GK-3's unique Pin 9 functionality explained
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.msg35804#msg35804

Trivia - Prior GK-2A pickups had a no connection on Pin #9

With the 2003 GK-3 hex PU, Roland introduced Pin#9 to be used as a Control voltage  - with specific control voltage ranges for Guitar (GK-3)  and separate control voltage ranges for Bass ( GK-3B )

GK-3/GK-3B are the only 13 pin hex preamps that transmit a Control voltage on pin 9, based upon the current position of the 3 way switch. The VB-99/VG-99/GR-55/GP-10 all react to the Pin9 Control Voltage by transmitting appropriate  MIDI CC#7 ( MIDI Volume) message to enable/disable external MIDI Synth from the guitar.

And its worth revising your Synth's MIDI Implementation sheet to see is it supports MIDI CC#7 as Global Volume control - most do but some don't.
and review the official MIDI Spec too

MIDI TUTORIALS
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

Connect a MIDI Monitor to the  VB-99 MIDI Out jack and verify you see this activity as the three way "Bass/Mix/GK Synth" switch on the GK-3B  is moved to a new position.

Prior to the GK-3  / GK-3B hex pickup , Pin 9 on the 13 pin cable was always free and not connected. and labled "N.C." on schematics. This is true for GK-2A, Ghost, Axon, Yamaha, RMC. L.R. Baggs ,Sound Garage hex pickups with 13 pin output.

But starting with the GK-3 hex pickup , Roland introduced a new output control voltage transmitted on pin 9 of the 13 pin cable, based upon the current position of the 3 way "Guitar/Mix/Synth[GK]" switch

GK-3 (Pin#9) Voltage Range: (GK  = 1.56V / Mix =  1.04V / Guitar =  0.52V
GK-3B (Pin#9) Voltage Range: (GK  = 4.48V / Mix = 3.96V / Bass = 3.44V

The VG-99 interprets the GK-3's voltage change on  Pin 9 of the 13 pin cable:

When you switch the three way switch from Mix to Guitar, the VG-99 sends out MIDI CC#7, value 0.  When you switch from Guitar to Mix, it sends out CC#7, value 127.

The VG-99 is using these CC messages to switch the COSM guitar off (when you select Guitar) and on (when you select Mix), but if you have other MIDI gear attached that also respond to MIDI CC messages  you may encounter some interesting conflicts, so be advised

aure

Quote from: gumtown on March 09, 2020, 12:18:05 PM

I actually use a GK-3 pickup with a GK-3B internals on my other Bass VI. Works great!

I think the spacing ill not only put the outer E strings outside of the pickup area, but will also make the A and B strings be picked up by the E and E sensors. Any pitch shifting would be problematic I'd say - not that I do much of that on the bass, but its good to have that option.

aure

Quote from: mos6507 on March 09, 2020, 11:58:13 AM
I have to say I love what Eastwood is doing and the way the crowdfunding facilitates a constant stream of oddballs that you'll never see anywhere else.  They already have two Bass VI instruments, the Sidejack VI and the TB64.

Yeah, I have the TB-64 and their four string bass EUB-1.  Great company.

paganskins

admin