Best options for a piezo 13 pin with a Les Paul

Started by C-Squared, March 05, 2020, 05:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Squared

So just getting into this realm of tones, and definitely hooked. Picked up a Roland GR-55 that came with the GK3. Installed that initially on a Les Paul style guitar I built a few years back as I didn't want to fuss too much with my main Les Paul as a guinea pig. Installing it on the "clone", with the adapter plate, getting the radius to match, even after adjusting the tiny screw was difficult. I have a compound radius that goes from 12-15, so right about 20 at the bridge. Same as my Les Paul. I know there are some TOM style bridges with piezo in the saddles that can be used, but then there is several different preamp options. The Graph tech Ghost is one that comes to mind.

I am considering a Godin LGX, as the 3 output options are very intriguing. The only problem for me is after playing Les Pauls for the last 40+ years, I'm pretty set in my ways of what I expect when I'm standing or sitting, where the controls are etc. I can see adding a 13 pin output, replacing the bridge tone control for the 13 pin output, and maybe adding a mini switch that could be used to have the main output be magnetic, m+P, or piezo only.

Has anyone else done a similar set-up?

admin

Many are here

Show your GK Guitar
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.0

but review these threads

Which one is better - Piezo or Magnetic hex PU?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=573.0

and
ANDERTONS UK for Internal GK-KIT-GT-3 kit ( = $130 delivered in USA)
https://www.andertons.co.uk/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit

C-Squared

So I ordered the Graph Tech Ghost system to install. TOM Bridge, Acoustaphonic and Hexaphonic systems PK-0680-00. Right now my plan is to slot the pickup ring for the wires before making additional holes in the body, and mount the mini switch to the pickguard. With the 4 holes for pots I can have Mag Bridge, stacked Mag Neck and Tone, Piezo Vol with push pull for the mid dark, and piezo volume. My two concerns are a) running just a single output 13 pin through the existing hole in the body and b) will there be enough space for the boards and a 9v battery. Also making sure I find a good pair of readers to make sure I can see all those tiny wires.

I'm lucky do still be working right now, so not sure when I'll get a chance to dig in, but hopefully ebfore next weekend.

mos6507

One thing to look out for with the Ghost system is grounding.  The strings don't electrically connect with the saddles and so they have to ground via the tailpiece.  If you don't have a tailpiece but rather string-through then you have to somehow make sure the ferrules are grounded.  I think this is a problem with my guitar which uses string-through.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

C-Squared

Quote from: mos6507 on March 26, 2020, 10:36:48 AM
One thing to look out for with the Ghost system is grounding.  The strings don't electrically connect with the saddles and so they have to ground via the tailpiece.  If you don't have a tailpiece but rather string-through then you have to somehow make sure the ferrules are grounded.  I think this is a problem with my guitar which uses string-through.

Thanks for the heads up. Basic TOM and Stop Tailpiece