Proper SY1000 Speed Test

Started by germanicus, February 07, 2020, 10:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on November 11, 2022, 03:14:30 PMWow, didn't know that about the GI-20.  Interesting.
yes, Jim Williams mentioned this  a long time ago and discussed it several times.

Here is the last time I remember.

Quote;

"You can pick up an old GI-20 on Reverb or eBay for not much cash and you can have it drive any synth module. It tracks like the GR 30 and it will work in windows 10 just fine. it is probably the best guitar to midi interface Roland ever made. Forget about that new stuff and go with what works.

Jimmy.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31004.msg228753#msg228753

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Bluesbird on November 10, 2022, 02:29:36 PMI just picked up a GI-20 to compare performance to the SY-1000. It works so well and is a joy to play. Roland got it right with the GI-20. It is a fantastic unit.

I never had the gi-20 but I've had gi-10 a few times through out the year and it's good as well. Great for anyone that has a gk equipped guitar or gk pickup on their guitar and some hardware synths laying around that they wanna control!

I've been toying with the idea of picking gi-10 or gi-20 up sometime again and gk pickup and seeing if there's a way to put it on my kiesel zeus guitar to control my akai mpc one.

aliensporebomb

You see Steve Tibbetts using a GI-20 with a 12-string here:
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

I wish this thread would focus on a specific
SY-1000 function

Because in reality :

#1 - SY-1000 DSP Guitar Modeling is very fast /low latency-faster than Variax Guitar modeling -so far no one has measured that

#2 - SY-1000 Dynamic Synth is slightly slower than #1 - but very useable on fastest playing.
Myself I use SY-1000 #1 & #2 modes and never have problems

#3 -SY-1000 OSC Synth is slower than #2 and appears to be the main topic of this thread. But folks who never played a SY-1000 read how terribly slow the OSC Synth is and dismiss the entire unit.

#4 SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI -yes its slowest process and a battle for false triggers

----

I'd argue SY-1000 #1 & #2 remain much faster and false trigger free  than any non fretboard trigger Guitar to MIDI system (Ror, Ztar) -including Fishman /Axon /GI-20

chrish

Quote from: admin on November 13, 2022, 08:50:35 AMI wish this thread would focus on a specific
SY-1000 function

Because in reality :

#1 - SY-1000 DSP Guitar Modeling is very fast /low latency-faster than Variax Guitar modeling -so far no one has measured that

#2 - SY-1000 Dynamic Synth is slightly slower than #1 - but very useable on fastest playing.
Myself I use SY-1000 #1 & #2 modes and never have problems

#3 -SY-1000 OSC Synth is slower than #2 and appears to be the main topic of this thread. But folks who never played a SY-1000 read how terribly slow the OSC Synth is and dismiss the entire unit.

#4 SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI -yes its slowest process and a battle for false triggers

----

I'd argue SY-1000 #1 & #2 remain much faster and false trigger free  than any non fretboard trigger Guitar to MIDI system (Ror, Ztar) -including Fishman /Axon /GI-20
I do the same and like with any DSP or analog system, only use the functions that work well.

From watching a you tube video's on the GI20, I still can hear the guitar pitch 2 midi flaws inherent in any one of these systems.

The osc synth is particularly sensitive to not playing as clean as possible. I've have good success using that synth even with my new TC electronic single string sustainer with the Wilcox guitar.

Its important to use any processer or analog system "tool" for its strengths because they all have their weaknesses. True artists can take those flaws and create something from them (example Amp feedback).

As a carpenter if I purchased a hammer that didn't work for me, I never went online to trash talk the company that built the hammer, I simply used one that worked for my particular application of that tool.

Something in this culture has changed.

chrish

Quote from: Bluesbird on November 13, 2022, 10:33:53 AMIf Boss doesn't fix the SY-1000, can I borrow your hammer?
that was actually funny. I thought that you were not one of the people who were having major alt tunings issues even before the upgrade to 1.08.

Quote from: Bluesbird on October 13, 2021, 02:12:28 PMI called up a patch with a bass and 12 string guitar tuned up three half steps up with a rich poly mod tuned down 9 half steps. Couldn't get it to warble. This is on a Squier Starcaster with internal GK kit.  I have gotten the warbles before with different guitars to a minor degree and am sure with my current guitar I'll hit the string in a certain way that causes a warble, but I'm not getting them at this moment.