SY-1000- Latest Firmware

Started by admin, February 01, 2020, 01:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: matbard on August 05, 2021, 10:02:26 AM
I asked Yoshi about a proper new generation, official "Roland Ready" guitar. I really hope that

Theve been working on another GC-1 type third party factory guitar with internal GK-KIT-GT3.

Hurdle is the warranty repairs and training third party  support staff on installing and testing.
Awkward that many independent luthiers who already install EMG active pickups will not work on Roland GK 13 guitars , a result of industry wide false claims that one must be a "MIDI EXPERT" to deal with GK 13 pin customer complaints.

Contact Schecter and ask about Roland GK 13 pin, and might as well watch paint dry waiting for their response.

http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=48602

admin

gumtown

Another great video from Jarad, very well explained on the firmware update process.
A good point too on ejecting the SY-1000 USB before pulling the USB cable,
that ensures the data write has been fully completed,
as Windows sometimes tends to 'write back' after the copy should have been transferred if the system is busy.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Kevin M

Quote from:  Bluesbird on August 05, 2021, 07:17:50 AM
Maybe now you can update your Sweetwater review?

Perhaps so. I think an official release that absolutely addresses the issue I mentioned would be easier to get behind.

Allomerus

Updated and very happy with tracking. Seems to be a lot better from my unscientific appraisal! Thanks for sharing.

Ebenezer

I updated to the Beta firmware yesterday night. The octave jumping issue that I had in some of the patches involving the dynamic synth is no longer there. Also, for some reason, most of the patches sounded more defined and cleaner. This is definitely a welcome update making many of the SY1000 patches usable. Thanks to the Roland/Boss team and all in the forum who has reported about the issues and worked on facilitating meaningful solutions.

arkieboy

Oh bugger.

After more clenched bum cheeks moments upgrading my AX100 than I care to remember, I vowed never to go down the beta firmware road ever again.

And yet I've downloaded the new version of the OS and will almost certainly upgrade tonight.

:o
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Done

It worked, thankfully.

And yes, I think it does sound a little smoother.  I was playing a 12 string sound while I was backing up my programmes and when I played the same sound after the upgrade, it was less peaky, more controlled.  Ditto the dynamic synth which I use a lot - I only resort to the OSC synth if I can't get the sound I want out of the Dynamic - which isn't that often.

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

This is what I noticed - the actual sounds themselves vary whether you use a GK-2A or GK-3.  I currently have two guitars with GK pickups and the GK-2A sounded a bit rougher and more analog and the GK-3 produced a smoother more digital sound on some sounds.  I find it interesting because it's kind of like whether you're using a humbucker or single coil guitar into a tube amp - these are subtle distinctions even when using that type of setup but I have a process now for recording where if I want it a little more analog sounding I go for the GK-2A guitar and a little more digital the GK-3 equipped guitar.

Also, I'd noticed prior to the beta fix I was using the Fender Fatfinger to address making the tracking less likely to have the issue and I actually replaced my standard Fender Stratocaster tuners with Fender Locking Tuners which not only make the tuning more stable but adds somewhat more mass to the headstock.   Anyway, it was a cheap addition (about $50 USD and I installed them myself) that made the guitar better as a guitar and the synth seems more stable too as a result especially after the 1.06 beta update.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

Quote from: aliensporebomb on August 06, 2021, 10:05:21 AM
This is what I noticed - the actual sounds themselves vary whether you use a GK-2A or GK-3.  I currently have two guitars with GK pickups and the GK-2A sounded a bit rougher and more analog and the GK-3 produced a smoother more digital sound on some sounds.  I find it interesting because it's kind of like whether you're using a humbucker or single coil guitar into a tube amp - these are subtle distinctions even when using that type of setup but I have a process now for recording where if I want it a little more analog sounding I go for the GK-2A guitar and a little more digital the GK-3 equipped guitar.

Also, I'd noticed prior to the beta fix I was using the Fender Fatfinger to address making the tracking less likely to have the issue and I actually replaced my standard Fender Stratocaster tuners with Fender Locking Tuners which not only make the tuning more stable but adds somewhat more mass to the headstock.   Anyway, it was a cheap addition (about $50 USD and I installed them myself) that made the guitar better as a guitar and the synth seems more stable too as a result especially after the 1.06 beta update.

This is all quite interesting - I'm currently having a kit Strat built for me with a GK-KIT (GK3 style) pickup - will be interesting to properly compare it with my piezo Brian Moore.  Lots of other things I'm looking forward to as well - Bare Knuckle Bootcamp True Grits for the single coils and a tappable 500T from a Jimmy Page LP for the bridge, Wilkinson two point trem, trembucker and the default setting on the mix switch is Guitar and Synth on so I can control it at the patch level and not have that heart-stopping moment at the beginning of a gig when the mix switch has suddenly set itself to 'synth' and my default patch is normal guitar  ;D

admin

Re Bare Knuckle pickups
budget wax potting them, I have a pair of Bare Knuckle pickups on a Johnny Marr Jaguar and it was the most microphonic guitar I ever played , useless on high gain amp tones -only high frequency squeals

arkieboy

Quote from: admin on August 06, 2021, 10:51:57 AM
Re Bare Knuckle pickups
budget wax potting them, I have a pair of Bare Knuckle pickups on a Johnny Marr Jaguar and it was the most microphonic guitar I ever played , useless on high gain amp tones -only high frequency squals

Will definitely keep an ear open for this.  The chap who's building it plays guitar in his house unfeasibly loud so I expect him to pick this kind of thing up!

The Boot Camp are their mass production range rather than their regular boutique fare, so they could well be potted already ...

BROCKSTAR

Glad they publicly released it now! Also thanks to every single person that complained here and elsewhere about the issues, because in reality that is what made that fix come about!

chrish

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on August 06, 2021, 11:37:54 AM
Glad they publicly released it now! Also thanks to every single person that complained here and elsewhere about the issues, because in reality that is what made that fix come about!
nothing wrong with "complaining" about flaws in a product design. Its how that process is carried out in a civil manor and with style that counts. ;)

plexified

Quote from: admin on August 06, 2021, 10:51:57 AM
Re Bare Knuckle pickups
budget wax potting them, I have a pair of Bare Knuckle pickups on a Johnny Marr Jaguar and it was the most microphonic guitar I ever played , useless on high gain amp tones -only high frequency squals

So awesome going the extra mile for us !!

pasha811

Should this be public? On the Boss Support Download only 1.05 is shown.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

aliensporebomb

Quote from: pasha811 on August 07, 2021, 01:17:12 AM
Should this be public? On the Boss Support Download only 1.05 is shown.

As posted earlier:

Yoshi Ikegami wrote>
We are still working on improvement of SY-1000 pitch detection. It seems still to take time, so I want providing current beta version 1.06 to VGuitarForums members.

Could you share 1.06 software with the forum?

Still 1.05 is our official software, so only 1.05 is providing on our web site. Next official software update would be version 1.07 including another improvement.

Best,
Yoshi

I also was surprised.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumbo

I guess (because I haven't got an SY-1000, and am not attempting to download) that anyone who accesses this site (as a guest ?) could follow the link ???  ...members or NON-MEMBERS ??

...if that is so, this Forum has publicly released this firmware version....   ...or am I wrong ?

...just saying...and I hope I'm wrong...

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

admin

Quote from: gumbo on August 07, 2021, 04:07:19 AM
I guess (because I haven't got an SY-1000, and am not attempting to download) that anyone who accesses this site (as a guest ?) could follow the link ???  ...members or NON-MEMBERS ??

...if that is so, this Forum has publicly released this firmware version....   ...or am I wrong ?

...just saying...and I hope I'm wrong...

We have Yoshi's  approval

It was supposed to be the official FW 1.06 release (not beta) , but the test team revealed long standing additional bugs exist, thats why Boss is working on FW 1.07, but that may not arrive until a few more weeks/ months . In the meantime, Yoshi wants VGuitarforums SY-1000 users to have access to FW 1.06 now as it does represent a noticeable improvement over FW 1.05. 

Must Join VGuitarforums to access SY-1000 FW 1.06
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27280.0;attach=23029

Boss has Firmware release structure for SY-1000 FW 1.07 to be the next official release, but until then we have FW 1.06 which represents an improvement over FW 1.05 

admin

Quote from: gumtown on August 05, 2021, 02:34:23 PM

A good point too on ejecting the SY-1000 USB before pulling the USB cable,
that ensures the data write has been fully completed,
as Windows sometimes tends to 'write back' after the copy should have been transferred if the system is busy.
Agreed, also Its been revealed pulling the USB cable too soon is the #1 cause of dead Headrush pedals too.

arkieboy

Quote from: admin on August 07, 2021, 08:15:36 AM
It was supposed to be the official FW 1.06 release (not beta) , but the test team revealed long standing additional bugs exist, thats why Boss is working on FW 1.07

"We'll release a platform and half finished software to go with it" has never been Roland's style - they deliver substantially finished products - so to have them continue to test and iron out bugs in what they have delivered is brilliant news.

admin

Quote from: arkieboy on August 07, 2021, 11:49:29 AM

"We'll release a platform and half finished software to go with it" has never been Roland's style - they deliver substantially finished products - so to have them continue to test and iron out bugs in what they have delivered is brilliant news.

Roland/Boss is actively seeking to address the opinions/hopes/dreams/desires of VGuitarForums Members for current and future tools.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: arkieboy on August 07, 2021, 11:49:29 AM

I can't tell if you're joking or serious lol :P

chrish

I've decided to install the update however I can't open the update file on windows 7.

Message says wants to know what program I want to open the file with?

Help please,  Thanks

BROCKSTAR

I don't know about windows 7, but this is the procedure written right on boss page. You don't open the file itself though.

"PROCEDURE FOR THE UPDATE
Hold down [ WRITE ] button and turn on the power.
* Continue to hold down WRITE until "SY-1000 Updater" appears on the display.
Connect the computer to the SY-1000's USB port by a USB cable.
Open the "SY-1000" drive folder in your personal computer.
With Windows
Within My Computer (or Computer), open "SY-1000" (or Removable Disk).
With Mac
On the desktop, open the "SY-1000" icon.
Copy (drag and drop) the "SY-1000_UPA_up.bin" in the "sy1000_sys_v105" folder into the root directory of the "SY-1000" drive.
After the copy has been completed, unmount or remove the drive on your computer.
With Windows
Right-click on the "SY-1000" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk (*:)" icon) and execute "Eject."
With Mac
Drag the "SY-1000" icon to the Trush icon in the Dock.
Disconnect the USB cable.
The message "Execute update ? ([WRITE]: execute, [Power off]:abort)" will appear on the display.
Press [ WRITE ] button to start the update process.
The message "Update completed." will appear on the display when the update process completes.
Turn the SY-1000 power off.