FTP - Create your own Patch Libraries for TriplePlay Mac/Win

Started by FishmanSoftware, January 20, 2020, 08:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishmanSoftware

TriplePlay software v1.4.xxx supports installing library files, which are collections of patches, and this feature is currently only used by EastWest.
In the near future we are likely to create/distribute more patch libraries, and we would like to help the user community make their own libraries. Here are the steps:
1) Create some user patches in the TriplePlay software.
2) In the Patches window, use the Options menu and choose "Export User Patches..." and follow the prompts to name/save your user patch collection in a convenient location.
3) Rename the extension of the file you just exported from .patches to .tplib (to do this you may need to turn on "show extensions" on your computer).
4) To install a library file, go to the Patches window, use the Options menu and choose "Install Library..." then choose any .tplib file.
5) To un-install a library file, right click or ctrl click the name of an installed library file in the patches window and select "Uninstall Library".

So what are some of the advantages of creating and installing your own libraries?
It allows you to:
1) have as many custom patches as you want; currently there is a maximum of 240 user patches but you can have any number of libraries installed each with up to 240 patches.
2) organize your user patches into "folders", since each library can be expanded or collapsed in the UI.
3) share with the community; you could create a patch library for your favorite VST synth and distribute through this forum, or other channels.
Hope this info is helpful!!

blakstone6string

Thank you for the info. It's good to see the unit will have future growth.

If someone could make an instrument that sounds like the 7Str Ibanez Leg Sus from the ew guitar teaser pack, that would be the best thing that could happen for the fishman tripleplay in my opinion.

That's the best sounding rock guitar instrument on the fishman but unfortunately it's the one with the most glitches/ghost notes and problems. If the kinks were worked out on that, I'd put a fishman on every one of my guitars.

blakstone6string

Pretty killer looking unit, at $1000 will have to see what santa brings at the end of the year.

A very interesting thing happens with the 7 string Ibanez Leg Sus when I change the sample rate from 44100 to 192000Hz.
It creates an awesome echo that sounds killer with the 7 string Ibanez Leg Sus but this only happens if I switch the sample rate.  I'm running a fast pc and the audio buffer is set at 2.3ms at 192000Hz. It's using very little of my cpu's processor I noticed in the task manager. Being that this is the only instrument out of all the patches I've tried that gives me ghost and other glitchy notes I think there has got to be a way to mod the patch or create a similar sounding one. The question is, what exactly is causing only this patch to be glitchy? No matter what sample rate or buffer size I choose this patch is glitchy. Again, it's the best rock sound avail. for the fishman unit I can find so far. If fishman can get the kinks worked out on this patch, their sales, in my opinon would rocket.

Other than that, I'm forced to find an alternative such as the boss unit mentioned in the video.

Please, fishman, fix the 7 String Ibanez Leg Sus patch! 

admin

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 03, 2020, 11:41:09 AM
Pretty killer looking unit, at $1000 will have to see what santa brings at the end of the year.

A very interesting thing happens with the 7 string Ibanez Leg Sus when I change the sample rate from 44100 to 192000Hz.
It creates an awesome echo that sounds killer with the 7 string Ibanez Leg Sus but this only happens if I switch the sample rate.  I'm running a fast pc and the audio buffer is set at 2.3ms at 192000Hz. It's using very little of my cpu's processor I noticed in the task manager. Being that this is the only instrument out of all the patches I've tried that gives me ghost and other glitchy notes I think there has got to be a way to mod the patch or create a similar sounding one. The question is, what exactly is causing only this patch to be glitchy? No matter what sample rate or buffer size I choose this patch is glitchy. Again, it's the best rock sound avail. for the fishman unit I can find so far. If fishman can get the kinks worked out on this patch, their sales, in my opinon would rocket.

Other than that, I'm forced to find an alternative such as the boss unit mentioned in the video.

Please, fishman, fix the 7 String Ibanez Leg Sus patch!

I would inform both Fishman Support
https://www.fishman.com/contact/contact-support/

and East-West Support
http://www.soundsonline.com/Support

blakstone6string

Yes. Contacted just now.

Adding more info to help the progress along with the 7 St. Ibanez patch.

The glitchyness is reduced a little by adjusting the dynamics sensitivity and dynamics offset  settings (slide the sliders for both of those settings all the way to the left). Then change the pitchbend setting to smooth.

Adjusting the midi mode from mono/poly or changing the touch sensitivity from pick to fingerstyle doesn't seem to help any for the patch though.

Note: the glitchyness seems to be made much worse with PULL OFFS  and when sliding up or down the neck on the guitar. Doesn't change on any guitar I try the unit on and only with this patch in my experience.
Bending notes up or down in pitch doesn't seem be causing problems though, but sliding up or down in pitch and pull offs trashes the patch and is chaotic and sounds ugly. With bigger slides being much more glitchy  than smaller ones.

blakstone6string

Update:

Just got word back from EW with some hope/help for the patch.
Settings thus far are:

midi mode:mono
touch sensitivity: default, about 3/4 to right on slider
pick, not fingerstyle
dynamics sensitivity:  all the way to the left with slider
dynamics offset: doesn't seem to matter but I've set it all the way to the left on slider
pitchbend: smooth

other settings:
velo: set to 1    (seems to be same as dynamics setting and gets rid of the toy guitar sound and makes it sound like a killer rock guitar)
sample rate: 96000Hz (but first change it to the highest setting then change it back down to 96000Hz and the killer bad a$$ echo turns on, don't know why. The echo sounds real cool, like steve vai in a large cathedral. Fishman if your listening, why does it do this?)
audio buffer size:512 or 1024 (recommended by ew customer support) <-----------helps quite a bit
streaming: set to ram rather than disk

This has helped but not quite there yet. It's about 75% of the way to perfect now.
Maybe in a future update fishman can fix the slide problem? Sliding up a fret or 2 isn't so bad but if you slide further it glitches real bad. For example try sliding up 5 frets to hear what I explained.
If you try these settings, especially the dynamics sensitivity and the buffer, you get an instrument that's pretty darn tight as far as rock guitar goes. If fishman can get it dialed in to 100% I'd say that it would rival any real amp I've ever heard for rock/metal sound. The potential is there, hope fishman can pull it off. I'll update with more info if I get anything.

*Also, try folding a napkin or paper towel over a couple times and cutting a small section to slide under the strings and place it up against the nut to act as a string damper for dampening open strings that are played. If the damper isn't pressing to hard against the strings, the notes will still sustain but a lot of the glitches/ghost junk will stop.

*****East West said they can help no more. The ball is in fishmans park now. The east west cust. support tech said as long as the virtual keyboard for the instrument isn't glitching the patch is working fine. You can demonstrate this by sliding your mouse cursor over the virtual piano for the instrument. Nope...no glitches there. So... the tech said the problem is with the midi unit itself, not the patch. It's hardware related.

*****************Fishman please dig into this problem. Let us know if an update will help.

blakstone6string

I contacted fishman cust. support a while back via but still have not received a reply.

What's the best way to get through to them?

admin

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 10, 2020, 11:42:51 AM
I contacted fishman cust. support a while back via but still have not received a reply.

What's the best way to get through to them?

Send a PM here

FishmanSoftware
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=26721

Know many in USA are celebrating "Presidents Day" as a Holiday today

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 03, 2020, 11:49:41 AM
Yes. Contacted just now.

Adding more info to help the progress along with the 7 St. Ibanez patch.

The glitchyness is reduced a little by adjusting the dynamics sensitivity and dynamics offset  settings (slide the sliders for both of those settings all the way to the left). Then change the pitchbend setting to smooth.

Adjusting the midi mode from mono/poly or changing the touch sensitivity from pick to fingerstyle doesn't seem to help any for the patch though.

Note: the glitchyness seems to be made much worse with PULL OFFS  and when sliding up or down the neck on the guitar. Doesn't change on any guitar I try the unit on and only with this patch in my experience.
Bending notes up or down in pitch doesn't seem be causing problems though, but sliding up or down in pitch and pull offs trashes the patch and is chaotic and sounds ugly. With bigger slides being much more glitchy  than smaller ones.

Hi blakstone6string,

I have been looking into your questions, and I have some ideas to try to help this particular sound work better:

1) Try reducing your string sensitivity. Consider adjusting each string so that when you pick your hardest it only goes halfway into the red. This will prevent notes from being triggered when you are fretting/moving around on the neck/just barely brush a string etc. and will only trigger notes when you really mean to do so.

2) Try adjusting the bend range in TriplePlay Preferences menu to 2 semitones, and also adjust the bend range in the EW Play plugin to the same 2 semitones. The EW Play setting can be found by clicking on the word Instruments in the upper right corner and then you will see "Pitch Bend" in the lower right corner. I found that this improved certain problems with the sound quality of the guitar when doing hammer on/pull off/slide techniques. If you try this and still hear problems when using these techniques, can you record an example and post a link here, or send it to Fishman support via email and mention that I asked for it. Note that changing the TP Preferences bend range to 2 semitones will cause all the other supplied sounds to bend incorrectly, but worth trying in this case to see if it helps!

3) Typically you shouldn't need to use such large settings for "audio buffer size". On my Mac I frequently use a setting of 128 samples or even 64 samples, and on Mac the built-in audio tends to work quite well. If you are on Windows and trying to use the built-in audio, then I suggest using ASIO4ALL, but more ideal would be to buy an audio interface, such as the Focusrite Scarlett which can be found for about $100. The fact that upping the buffer size "helps quite a bit" tends to indicate that some of the problems with glitchiness are related to your computer/soundcard. If you are available on weekends you can request a remote session from Fishman support, and an expert will take a look at what is going on, and possibly suggest fixes.

4) Interesting sound when increasing the sample rate! I think that this is some kind of cool bug/side effect in the EW Play plugin. Normally plugins are designed so that changing the sample rate would have no obvious effect on the sound produced, but in the case of EW Play upping the sample rate somehow causes the reverb/delay to be extra "big". Very cool sounding. You can adjust the effects for any EW sound, including adjust the delay, and choose from a very large number of high quality reverbs, currently set to Large Church for the sound in question. I mention this because with some tweaking you should be able to stick with a lower sample rate, and increase the amount/quality of effects to whatever you desire. Using a lower sample rate should help avoid glitches related to #3 above.

5) The samples themselves have intentional "artifacts" at the end of the notes, i.e. the sound of the string being muted. If you strum a chord and hold it and wait, you will hear some of these sounds as each note ends. I wonder if some of that sounds like glitches to your ear?

Try some of these ideas, let me know here what you find, and I will continue to try to help! -John

blakstone6string

Thanks for the info John.

I'll test things out this evening and get back to you. Cheers mate.

blakstone6string

Adjusting the bend range in TriplePlay Preferences menu to 2 semitones was the magic ticket.
It's nearly perfect now and I was able to lower the buffer substantially (all the way down to 64 samples 0.7ms).
I restarted my computer and it reverted back to the original setting (forgot to save the settings for the patch). So I created a new patch with the 2 semitone setting for the ew instrument.

On another note, Kudos on the advice John.  For future update on the triple play can you suggest to keep the killer bug/glitch for the reverb on this patch?
Maybe even find a way to have the reverb kick on without having to switch back and forth in the sample rate?
Oh, how about a distortion and reverb slider in the settings to punch the distortion and reverb up or down?

I am hooked now and have not had this much fun with the triple play unit since I purchased it.  I'll be putting them on more of my guitars without a doubt.

blakstone6string

Using asio4all, when "allow pull mode(wavert)" is checked it reduces scratchyness in the sound.

Any recommendations on dialing in asio4all? Should there be a buffer offset or latency compensation?

I'd say the unit is 90% there now but I'm betting there are a couple more tweaks that would make it flawless.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 13, 2020, 11:53:30 AM
Adjusting the bend range in TriplePlay Preferences menu to 2 semitones was the magic ticket.
It's nearly perfect now and I was able to lower the buffer substantially (all the way down to 64 samples 0.7ms).
I restarted my computer and it reverted back to the original setting (forgot to save the settings for the patch). So I created a new patch with the 2 semitone setting for the ew instrument.

On another note, Kudos on the advice John.  For future update on the triple play can you suggest to keep the killer bug/glitch for the reverb on this patch?
Maybe even find a way to have the reverb kick on without having to switch back and forth in the sample rate?
Oh, how about a distortion and reverb slider in the settings to punch the distortion and reverb up or down?

I am hooked now and have not had this much fun with the triple play unit since I purchased it.  I'll be putting them on more of my guitars without a doubt.

Glad you are having fun!

Regarding the bend range, I mentioned this previously, be aware that changing the bend range in the TriplePlay Preferences is global and will cause all of the other supplied sounds (Kontakt, SampleTank, EW Play) to bend incorrectly. As a workaround you could edit the plugin bend range settings for any and all patches that you want to use to match your choice of 2 semitones.

Regarding the effects, the cool sounding "bug" is in the EastWest Play VST plugin, so I'm pretty sure that there is nothing Fishman can do. But I strongly encourage you to try adjusting the effects (rather than changing the sample rate) for the Ibanez sound in question and you will likely find that you can make the sound even bigger/better than what you are getting now.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 13, 2020, 12:42:28 PM
Using asio4all, when "allow pull mode(wavert)" is checked it reduces scratchyness in the sound.

Any recommendations on dialing in asio4all? Should there be a buffer offset or latency compensation?

I'd say the unit is 90% there now but I'm betting there are a couple more tweaks that would make it flawless.

It is hard to give general advice. I suggest reading the manual that comes with ASIO4ALL to learn what these settings control (I will admit that some of it is difficult to fully understand). Try different settings and see what works.

Maybe some other folks on this forum can advise...

admin

Re ASIO4ALL - I never recommend it

its best to use a good quality low Audio I/O latency  Audio Interface  with its own dedicated high quality ASIO driver on Windows

- today in 2020 under $220 it would be  the

MOTU M2/M4 

https://www.amazon.com/MOTU-M4-USB-C-Audio-Interface/dp/B08129P2XY

blakstone6string

Hey Admin,

Thanks for the info.

Do I need to use an amp or external speaker connection to the audio interface if I get one?
I'd prefer going straight into the audio interface and out through my computer speakers without having to add a second set of speakers or mess with anything else.
Is that doable?

blakstone6string

Regarding the fishman ew patch, I was able to fatten the sound up even more now without adding any artifacts.

Thanks for the info fishman.
Tweaking the amp settings in the patch now and holy moses does it fatten up.

As a side note, the midi unit with its fattened up cathedral rock sound is much more inspirational now.

I kicked on the amp button in the patch, set the bass up to max, in the fx set the convolution reverb to live cathedral. All I can say is wow, if that doesn't make the hair stand up on your arms what will?

admin

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 13, 2020, 03:12:08 PM
Hey Admin,

Thanks for the info.

Do I need to use an amp or external speaker connection to the audio interface if I get one?
I'd prefer going straight into the audio interface and out through my computer speakers without having to add a second set of speakers or mess with anything else.
Is that doable?

Common newbie question

You will want One high quality audio interface  - if you run Windows that must also have a good ASIO driver to work with lowest latency

and its always best to use Self Powered Near Field Monitor speakers directly connected to this same audio interface - or work on headphones ( which is what i do 80% of the time)

You WILL experience highest latency problems when you select a different interface for ASIO Audio Input, and then a separate  Audio interface or  built in Computer audio for the Audio Output

What is your entire system?

blakstone6string

3.8Ghz 6 core ryzen 5 3600x processor, 16GB ram (G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600), nvidia rtx2070, multiple samsung ssd drives with hot swap bay, mother board is a ASUS Prime X470-Pro with crystal sound 3 chipset. Speakers are cambridge soundworks mini cubes with subwoofer. I have fl studio but have yet to sit down and learn how to use it properly.

So far, using midi has not really made any noticeable impact on cpu or other system resources (task manager/resource monitor).

admin

Quote from: blakstone6string on February 13, 2020, 04:10:38 PM
3.8Ghz 6 core ryzen 5 3600x processor, 16GB ram (G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600), nvidia rtx2070, multiple samsung ssd drives with hot swap bay, mother board is a ASUS Prime X470-Pro with crystal sound 3 chipset. Speakers are cambridge soundworks mini cubes with subwoofer. I have fl studio but have yet to sit down and learn how to use it properly.

So far, using midi has not really made any noticeable impact on cpu or other system resources (task manager/resource monitor).
Since your  ASUS Prime X470-Pro with crystal sound 3 chipset lacks Guitar inputs or a professional ASIO Driver
You will need a Audio Interface which accepts your Guitar, perhaps a Mic input too,and since you are using Tripleplay  - perhaps you will be running Ik AMplitube or NI GuitarRig ( or Scuffham S-Gear, or Helix Rack)

I would consider a MOTU M4, then connect your speakers directly to the M-4 Outputs

And consider getting better studio speakers which do not have a big hole in the midrange as your do

blakstone6string

I'll look into this, thanks for the info. Lots to learn.

Hey Admin, what about using the line 6 pod x3 as an audio interface vs the motu m4?
I don't know much about guitar effects other than the tripleplay. New to electric, have been playing acoustic for few years though. Being able to use the computer with the guitar is a must but having effects that I can take along elsewhere would be great.

makappel

Ability to create your own Patch Libraries is an awesome feature. I have created a Patch Library for Omnisphere's Guitar patches and it works great. I would post it but the file size is too big (zipped file is 6.3MB). It would be nice if Fishman or VGuitar forums could set up a repository somewhere.

pje

Hi-
I would like to import patches from audio modeling flute intp TP using the wireless model.
I am using a mac. The AM vst3 is installed. For a while I could see the program in TP software channels. But now it does not show up on any of the channels.

Even when I could see the program I had no way of importing my patches into TriplePlay in order to use it as a host. How do I do these things?
Thank you!
Peter

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: pje on August 24, 2023, 03:18:04 PMHi-
I would like to import patches from audio modeling flute intp TP using the wireless model.
I am using a mac. The AM vst3 is installed. For a while I could see the program in TP software channels. But now it does not show up on any of the channels.

Even when I could see the program I had no way of importing my patches into TriplePlay in order to use it as a host. How do I do these things?
Thank you!
Peter

I recommend contacting the Fishman Support team. They should be able to help get you working. You can leave a message at 888.680.3507 or fill out a form on the Fishman website, or I think that support@fishman.com will work.

Some things you can try would be:
1) Make sure you are running the latest TriplePlay software, currently v1.5.28
2) If you don't have a ton of other plugins, try simply doing a "Rescan all Plugins..." and be patient, this might help your desired plugin to reappear in the list of available plugins. Otherwise there is a way to rescan an individual plugin by going to the "Instrument Plugin Manager", clicking on a plugin in the list, the clicking on "Rescan selected".
3) Once you can find your desired plugin in the list of available plugins, select that plugin and a window will open with various patch settings. Adjust anything needed in that window (including parameters for the plugin itself), then close the window, and click on the save icon (should be in red which means the patch needs saving), then name and save it as a user patch. Now you can get back to that sound by clicking on it in the user patches list.
4) To be clear, TriplePlay does not "import" sounds, the controller generates MIDI, and the software is a plugin host.
I would be happy to try to help you more, and other folks on this group are also very knowledgeable.

pje

Thank you for your response. the vst3 s have been downloaded by triple play software, but do not appear when I click on the button below the slider for each channel. Why?

At one time they did appear, but even then I had no way of making compatible patches for the third-party software. In this case Audio modeling. I need detailed instructions. Thank you