NeuralDSP Quad Cortex floor unit launched

Started by jassy, January 10, 2020, 11:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

you sure - I was watching Rabea's demos and he said that you could upload a patch inc capture to cloud and tag people in who can then instantly download it from cloud to their device.

Headless68

Quote from: sixeight on February 14, 2021, 11:52:42 AM
I ordered one at Thomann. Anyone else on vguitarforums going for the Quad Cortex?

Yes, I think I'm going try out what you did with the Helix and use the VG99 as a front end going into the Quad Cortex for amps & delay / reverbs (I just never liked the helix enough to stick with it)

bosetuno

The best thing of this device is that finally we will be able to buy kemper units for 800€!

Headless68

It may also push Kemper to update and being a new version out - the UI is very tired, even though it still sounds great

whippinpost91850

I agree , Kemper does sound great.
I have a QC on order. But there appears to be issues with backup and download.
And I'm not so sure the buttons are going to work, in a live situation

kevorkian

I have one on order as well. The simplified capture process and the size were big selling points.

whippinpost91850

I like the lighter weight of the QC, but am a little leery of how close the buttons are

whippinpost91850

Thanks Plexified,  only gig live, and use my Kemper And GR55 in both of my cover bands

Headless68

another bonus - QC is class compliant so usb > CCK > iPad will work & audio can be pushed back into the grid and processed - should be good for Midi guitar 2 + soft synth into a chain.

admin

Quote from: Headless68 on March 04, 2021, 10:34:29 AM
another bonus - QC is class compliant so usb > CCK > iPad will work & audio can be pushed back into the grid and processed - should be good for Midi guitar 2 + soft synth into a chain.

Same applies to NUX MG-30, MG-300, Valeton GP-100, Mooer GE300 - all 24 bit USB Audio  / MIDI Class Compliant 

Roland/Boss is missing the boat not being USB Class Compliant

Old VG-99 / VB-99/ GT-10 are USB Class Compliant  - (only 16 bit USB audio in USB Class mode)

micdim

Great discussion here! A couple of Questions please...

Has anyone tested and A/B'd Boss GT-1000 and Neural Quad Cortex?

I have a few of the Neural Plugins (Plini, Cory Wong, and Fortin), and they all have an absolutely fantastic feel and sound. Really close to playing an amp. If QC has this kind of feel and sound (which I'm sure it's even better) then I would love to hear from someone if the've used both GT-1000 and Neural Quad, and what they think of both.

1. Could you give us your thoughts, and which one would you recommend sounds/plays better?
2. Is the Looper in the Quad Cortex save-able?

Thank you!

chlorinemist

Their site says it can do 4 amp/cab sims at once. Not even the AxeFX III can do that, last i checked

admin

Quote from: chlorinemist on March 12, 2021, 05:23:22 AM
Their site says it can do 4 amp/cab sims at once. Not even the AxeFX III can do that, last i checked
But Ampero II Stomp can (August 2021)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29542.0

gumtown

As can the SY-1000 do 4 amp/cabs at the same time.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

Line 6 Helix could probably do 4 amps at a time if you split the signal path into 4 paths, but it may be the only things you get on the path depending on amp/cab. I just never had a need for that or tried.

chlorinemist

My Bass VI has 2 mono pickup outputs and a hex pickup out. Ive always wanted to have 4 parallel eq/amp/cab/fx chains, 1 for each mono pickup and 2 for the stereo summed post 6Appeal hex outs. So the devices with only 2 inputs wont work for me.

Interesting to know that those pedals have the dsp for it tho. The Poly Digit/Beebo certainly doesnt even come close to having enough dsp for it, sadly, tho it does have the I/O.

I know the SY-1000 does 4 parallel hex fx chains, but arent the amps iinferior to the GT-1000 models? And no IR loading if im not mistaken

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: chlorinemist on March 12, 2021, 04:08:12 PM
My Bass VI has 2 mono pickup outputs and a hex pickup out. Ive always wanted to have 4 parallel eq/amp/cab/fx chains, 1 for each mono pickup and 2 for the stereo summed post 6Appeal hex outs. So the devices with only 2 inputs wont work for me.

Interesting to know that those pedals have the dsp for it tho. The Poly Digit/Beebo certainly doesnt even come close to having enough dsp for it, sadly, tho it does have the I/O.

I know the SY-1000 does 4 parallel hex fx chains, but arent the amps iinferior to the GT-1000 models? And no IR loading if im not mistaken

Pretty sure sy-1000 amps are the same as the ones in GT-1000, but don't quote me on that?

chlorinemist

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on March 12, 2021, 05:15:42 PM
Pretty sure sy-1000 amps are the same as the ones in GT-1000, but don't quote me on that?

This thread left me with the impression that the SY amp sims are cut-down light versions of the GT-1000 sims: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27287.0

Headless68

the GT1000 & 1000 core are identical amps

Headless68

So, end users from Tier 1 waitlist have started getting their Quad Cortex units - John Cordy (youtube channel - check him out, he's a great guitar player) has done some long live streams with his unit. I watched them & last night I could get everything (and a lot more) out of my trusty VG99, so shockingly I'm out, preorder will be cancelled.

My honest view is QC from a software standpoint is probably 2 to 3 years away from being close. The FM3 effects suite is so much more comprehensive, I just wish Fractal had put a quad core in that & that is where my money would go. They all sound great with the amps, its the effects where there is such a large gap in quantity and quality of what is on offer with the QC (today) its just basic.

In the meantime - Im going to stick a strymon big sky after the VG99 and be happy

gumtown

Quote from: chlorinemist on March 12, 2021, 05:46:42 PM
This thread left me with the impression that the SY amp sims are cut-down light versions of the GT-1000 sims: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27287.0

The SY-1000 has the same amp sims as the GT-1000 plus a few more, and able to run up to 4 amps concurrently (1 each in the INST blocks, and one freely movable one).
The SY-1000 has less effects than the GT-1000 though, which is understandable to allocate the DSP resources for the synth blocks.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

plexified

Quote from: Headless68 on March 21, 2021, 02:29:58 AM
So, end users from Tier 1 waitlist have started getting their Quad Cortex units - John Cordy (youtube channel - check him out, he's a great guitar player) has done some long live streams with his unit. I watched them & last night I could get everything (and a lot more) out of my trusty VG99, so shockingly I'm out, preorder will be cancelled.

My honest view is QC from a software standpoint is probably 2 to 3 years away from being close. The FM3 effects suite is so much more comprehensive, I just wish Fractal had put a quad core in that & that is where my money would go. They all sound great with the amps, its the effects where there is such a large gap in quantity and quality of what is on offer with the QC (today) its just basic.

In the meantime - Im going to stick a strymon big sky after the VG99 and be happy

I have to agree here. I've been hardcore digesting for about three years now all the latest and greatest. And time and time again I come to the same conclusion for the most part. The effects AND the users application of are very important. I've been studying the producers and recording engineers to understand that world after the artist lays down the track in the studio. I've got a collection of stellar amps and cabs and I can attest to the raw opinion that modeling is no where near those amps if you are just using the amp model into a power amp and whatever speaker/ FRFR or Studion monitor.

Keep that in mind, because I've heard some great finished tracks from mediocre at best guitar players and gear. The engineer CAN in fact polish a turd. With that said, I hope I didn't offend , but this leads me to my point. Modeling units supply a complete studio suite. How you use it is the end result. I prove to myself every single time, If I apply Don Landee studio engineering to my Van Halen Tracks, there is no such thing as a "Magic Marshall". And let me tell you , I have a Magic Marshall. And in the room alone while its on ten it sounds like $ 1 million in gold bullion. Of course the cabs are period correct and are half the sound. My point is the recorded result is a different ballgame. When I profiled my amp collection I needed my studio skills to do so. Its not a slap a mic in front of the cab and call it a day ordeal. NO. Its experience. Sometimes you WIN, sometimes you LEARN. I had quality mics that I spent years aquiring and additional years of knowing how to use them, FOR ME. What I liked. Ordinary engineers do the same, but they are usually not guitar players, the ones that are STAND OUT.

The point being, if you get an average guitar sound, anybody can do it on any modeling device, and you know how to apply the mic and after effects you can have STELLAR sound. My advice is study the ENGINEERS and what they do with WHAT.

I can pick up any BOSS / Roland device at this point and apply my knowledge and literally blow minds with the quality of tone in the box. NO IR in most cases. I don' really like IR's at all, I can EQ better than another persons IR attempt, I make my own IRs and thats where FRACTAL rules. The Kemper saved me because those ^^^ amp profiles I made were a document of time BEFORE I had amp failures and had to change filter caps and that CHANGES THE TONE.

Quad Cortex is a long game with the bonus of the plug ins available. If the Capture is as good as a Profile, then document your amps NOW, like I did, you will pay for the unit with this ONE piece of advice. 

Smash

I make you right. Best profiler out there. But that's it. FX are underwhelmingly meh and the UI is very under baked. Some things are plain idiotic - Paul Davids touched the tip of the iceberg in his review.

Seems they've pushed ahead sending units out when it really isn't a finished let alone polished product.

I'd say much more a risk than long game, zero evidence they are working on UI or anything else.

I agree you can polish a turd but you want the right break up characteristics. It's easy with high gain but edge of break up tweed type stuff (which is where I'm at at the moment) splits the men from the boys. I'm having great success with Amplitube and BiasFX2 on iPad for those type of tones. They break when you want them to and thats all I ask. Theres a mixed bag on the tone cloud of user patches but a few are golden. Can't see any reason to invest more money, except for live reliability but when will we be live again?

sixeight

Quote from: Headless68 on March 21, 2021, 02:29:58 AM

I also decided to cancel my preorder and wait for the firmware to develop. I am usually late to the party on new gear. I do not have any amps to profile and the QC really needs to develop its effects more. Once they do, I may get back on board.

I was looking for a "companion" device for the SY1000. I thought I needed a device that can do IR's to get a good acoustic sound, but yesterday I managed to dial in a great acoustic sound using my Crafter TMVS and the Acoustic Resonance effect of the SY1000 combined with a low-band compressor which I build with the divider/splitter block, two eq's and the compressor block. The trick for getting a full acoustic sound is to compress the low frequencies only. This acoustic patch sounds even better than the one based upon an IR on the Helix IMHO.

I am still considering an HX stomp as a companion device.