Any 1 tried the GT's studio preamp model and FX loop for effects w/tube amp?

Started by dazco, January 09, 2020, 08:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazco

I'm asking here because i know the admin guys here are big into all sorts of patching stuff like this and at least one has a GT. What i was considering it taking the FX send of a tube head into the input of the GT 100 combo using the studio preamp model and out of the GTs send into the tube amp's return. This in hopes of using the effects of the GT for the tube head and i would disconnect the speaker from the GT and plug it into the tube head.

I'm not asking if it's possible, It is of course possible. But the question goes to anyone who has tried this and if t in any way degraded the tube amp's sound to a notable degree or if there are other issues u ran into. First, the amp's send will be going into the GT's guitar input so that could be an issue unless the amps send is guitar/pedal level and impedance. Not sure on that but i'm talking about a marshall origin head so i will have to look that up. But i think i can deal with that using some sort of interface be it a pedal with levels or whatever. Then there's the studio preamp model itself and how transparent it is. It seems to be uncolored and specifically for uses like this. But i'm asking because if anyone has tried this their results will be a lot more useful than my speculation.

Elantric

GT-100 with a Tube Amp via 4 Cable Method is popular

dazco

Nice, but i'm not looking to buy anything like that. I have a DSP i can use with the origin but the attraction to using the GT is no need to buy a speaker cab for one and several other reasons. I haven't got an origin but i wanted to see if this would work well b4 i DO buy one or i'd reconsider and look for something else like a DSL combo if this doesn't work well.

admin

Quote from: dazco on January 09, 2020, 09:13:55 AM
Nice, but i'm not looking to buy anything like that. I have a DSP i can use with the origin but the attraction to using the GT is no need to buy a speaker cab for one and several other reasons. I haven't got an origin but i wanted to see if this would work well b4 i DO buy one or i'd reconsider and look for something else like a DSL combo if this doesn't work well.

Works best when the Tube amp has separate FX Loop Send and FX Loop Return Level Controls  - like a 1983 Fender Concert