SY-1000 - Firmware Wish List

Started by admin, December 12, 2019, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

SY-1000 - Wish List

After reviewing the SY-100 Owner's Manual and Reference Manual
https://www.boss.info/global/products/sy-1000/support/

Post below with your SY-1000 Firmware Wish List!

JiveTurkey

chrish

Intelligent harmonizer, GT 1000 quality and type fx

jassy

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 12, 2019, 04:34:26 PM
PCM
PCM
PCM
Although unlikely I agree very much with it, it would round an already very round product
Also missing GT1000 MDP effects, especially Shimmer and Tera Echo.

plexified

Additional Rotary Effect Controls (VK design) to simulate true Leslie Rotary Speaker Performance.

(Terminology used from VK Rotary MFX Module in GR-55 Manual)

* Separate Control of Woofer and Tweeter Parameters For :

Speed  (Slow/Fast)
Rise Rate  (Transition Up)
Fall  Rate  (Transition Down)
Gain   (High/Low)

* Add Brake to existing Rotary Control.

* Add Spread to existing Rotary Control.

These additional parameters in the VK module make the Leslie Simulation virtually identical to the live Leslie sound due to the Tweeter transitioning faster up and down, while the Woofer transitions slower due to its size or mass.

In addition this greatly increases the Organ/Key effect delivery. Also recommended for GT-1000 & RT-20

gumtown

The SY-1000 hasn't even landed yet, and a Wish list?
OK
My current wish, "I wish for a SY-1000 from Santa"

edit: oh... a Firmware wish list,
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ffata

I've basically been committed to my VG-99 purchase from 2007 so I haven't looked thru many owners manuals.
So please forgive me if I've missed something along the way.
But Roland invented the Space Echo, why is that not echo #1 in so many of these devices instead of a generic tape echo?
I would love controllable run away feedback. (is that an oxymoron?)
The Space Echo is the Dub Machine.

Vaultnaemsae

Variable Pitch Bend range. It's ambiguous in the manual if it's fixed like the VG-99 or adjustable like the GP-10.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

mchad

Forgive me if it is obvious and I missed it but...if you use the conventional pickup input only with 1/4" lead do you still have access to the GT1000 AIRD amps? I can see them available via hex and the E Guitar modelling. That's great too but I only have one guitar with a GK3. I don't want to be tied to it always.

And I agree. Would much prefer to have 500 series effects in it. If you're going to stretch the boundaries of the guitar synth universe you might as well load it up with the best trimmings you can.

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on December 12, 2019, 06:13:52 PM
The SY-1000 hasn't even landed yet, and a Wish list?
OK
My current wish, "I wish for a SY-1000 from Santa"

edit: oh... a Firmware wish list,
yea, thinking they may have time to squeeze these in.  :D

admin

Quote from: mchad on December 12, 2019, 07:10:03 PM
Forgive me if it is obvious and I missed it but...if you use the conventional pickup input only with 1/4" lead do you still have access to the GT1000 AIRD amps?

Yes - using a typical electric guitar fed into only the SY-1000  1/4" Guitar Input  = "NORMAL GUITAR" in the SY-1000  reference documents
See Normal Guitar Block Diagram - and the signal path from "GUITAR INPUT (on Lower Left) which feeds  a Phase Invert Switch, Cable Simulator ( Lo Pass Filter),
then the "CMP ( Compressor) "DS" (Distortion), AMP ( AIRD Amplifer + AIRD Speaker simulator)   ( you may change the order of anything in the "EFFECTS" block ( see diagram below)   

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on December 12, 2019, 07:00:21 PM
Variable Pitch Bend range. It's ambiguous in the manual if it's fixed like the VG-99 or adjustable like the GP-10.

Search on "BEND"
SY-1000 REFERENCE MANUAL (01)
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf

See Page 25 = Bend Depth  =  -24 / +24 semitones

aliensporebomb

I didn't see the feedbacker as part of the feature set but it's something I use all of the time on the VG-99.  YMMV.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 12, 2019, 08:35:52 PM
I didn't see the feedbacker as part of the feature set but it's something I use all of the time on the VG-99.  YMMV.

Search on "FEEDBACK"

Page 25 there is an OSC Waveform type  = "FEEDBACK OSC

"A sound containing high overtones similar to guitar feedback playing.
Suitable for creating crisply aggressive tones that stand out" 

Page 26
FEEDBACK  0–100
Adjusts the amount of feedback.
Larger values increase the amount of feedback, changing the volume of the harmonics.

Page 47
HR1:FEEDBACK 0–100
Adjusts the feedback amount of the harmonist sound.

mchad

Quote from: admin on December 12, 2019, 08:25:51 PM
Yes - using a typical electric guitar fed into only the SY-1000  1/4" Guitar Input  = "NORMAL GUITAR" in the SY-1000  reference documents
See Normal Guitar Block Diagram - and the signal path from "GUITAR INPUT (on Lower Left) which feeds  a Phase Invert Switch, Cable Simulator ( Lo Pass Filter),
then the "CMP ( Compressor) "DS" (Distortion), AMP ( AIRD Amplifer + AIRD Speaker simulator)   ( you may change the order of anything in the "EFFECTS" block ( see diagram below)   

Thanks admin!

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: admin on December 12, 2019, 08:31:51 PM
Search on "BEND"

See Page 25 = Bend Depth  =  -24 / +24 semitones

I read the manual from cover to cover. I don't think p. 25 clarifies this point about pitch bend range (in the sense of matching PB to a synth's PB range). But please correct me if I'm wrong.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Brak(E)man

Stereo looper
True Stereo fx
Stereo Amp
Hand controller live UI an iPad fi
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Peter the GR-eat...

I would like a proper GR-100 emulation!

With the 2 hex fuzz modes. Filter mod+ inverted filter mod, control for cutoff and resonance
Chorus/vibrato with controls for rate, sens and depth.

bosetuno

Polyphonic harmonizer. I love the one on the vg8 (which allows for pitchbend) but the one of the vg99 will work for me also

+1 on stereo fx and amps, even on a halved mode with less inst or signal paths

bosetuno

Lets bear in mind something that may be important for certain feature whises. In the case you can route normal pup sound through the Eguitar instrument model (like on the VG99) then, It means it can run up to 4 parrallel amp modelers, plus fx. This means the SY1000 may be more interesting than the GT1000 just as a modeller. I said this because I think Roland will not put all the GT1000 features inside the SY1000 if they dont want to kill GT1000 sales abruptly. So, my guess is that all those MDF Fx, IR loading, and speialities from the GT1000 will not go into the SY1000.

hippietim

HRM
Tera Echo
Space Echo
Dimension Chorus
Third Party IR support

loopman

Thanks admin for giving us a chance to request a wish list, I really appreciated it...

this is mine in order of priority:

1) VIO Guitar modeling for the Bass Mode too
2) "Vari Bass" model, as found on the VB-99
3) More bass models: a glorious 80' Steinberger Bass
4) Bass Comp BC-1X
5) More Poly FX types
6) 500/200 effects pedals serie

Now my question :Is there only one hope that Boss / Roland guys will read our wish list?
admin could you be kind enough to put a deadline on our wish list and once closed submit it to Boss? I would be very grateful for that

Thank you very much for all the support you've always given to this forum, God Bless you!

BROCKSTAR

Not sure how popular it is among the sy-300 / guitar synth crowd but seeing that the sy-1000 doesn't have the blender option and I think that was a huge mistake to get rid of but perhaps they had too with this new design, who knows so I propose putting it in SY-1000 or at least when they make the BOSS TONE STUDIO editor/app, add the feature in there!

hading

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 13, 2019, 07:13:56 AM
Not sure how popular it is among the sy-300 / guitar synth crowd but seeing that the sy-1000 doesn't have the blender option and I think that was a huge mistake to get rid of but perhaps they had too with this new design, who knows so I propose putting it in SY-1000 or at least when they make the BOSS TONE STUDIO editor/app, add the feature in there!

I don't know if they will do it, but it had occurred me as well that the blender ought to work perfectly fine being in the app rather than on the box itself.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: hading on December 13, 2019, 07:33:10 AM
I don't know if they will do it, but it had occurred me as well that the blender ought to work perfectly fine being in the app rather than on the box itself.

Even if BOSS doesn't do it in the original app, perhaps a 3rd party person can make an app for it that includes that option :]