Boss SY-1000 - Boss Introduces the SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

Started by admin, December 05, 2019, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCKSTAR

Adrian Belew but don't remember what synth :P

Also true... I'm not trying to be negative, just a bit disgruntled over it all right now, sorry. I'm no different than the other 3039383883 repeats that will happen in this thread in the coming days, months and years just like the sy-300 section :P I'll try to re-word my words so they don't sound so negative or something.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 13, 2019, 05:42:59 AM
Adrian Belew but don't remember what synth :P

Also true... I'm not trying to be negative, just a bit disgruntled over it all right now, sorry. I'm no different than the other 3039383883 repeats that will happen in this thread in the coming days, months and years just like the sy-300 section :P I'll try to re-word my words so they don't sound so negative or something.
I do believe you're right in several aspects and not ( very ) negative.
We're different in our opinion when it comes to SY-300
My main concern is the polyphony and the fact that to this date
Boss has not addressed that issue. I will keep the SY-300 , I think it's a
one of a kind like the GR-300 , that will be sought after in 10 years.
( I think the 1/4 input polyphony is solvable with time,  effort and money)
I have been and still are extremely negative about this and have complained endlessly
and will do so even if no one will ever listen to me again. Shame on you Boss /Roland
give us a SY-300 polyphony update !

I do think that the SY-1000 will not be a legendary blue box  , even though it looks closer to
what I'd like to use live in the future.

( my mind says , - god no !, not another thing to program . When I'm finally done the SYVG-1090000 might have arrived )
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 13, 2019, 06:03:29 AMI will keep the SY-300 , I think it's a one of a kind like the GR-300 , that will be sought after in 10 years.

I have a SY-300 - my second purchase of such, after buying, not liking, and selling the first in very quick order - and this statement caught my eye: are you keeping the SY-300 because it has capabilities which you think are missing in the SY-1000? Because I am pretty close to selling my SY-300, under the impression that I don't need the duplicated and redundant functionality that it will soon represent.

admin

Quote from: Kevin M on December 13, 2019, 02:08:35 AM
Rephrasing my question....where do those specific distortions listed on page 57 fit on the diagram at the top of page 11?
Inside One "DS" block

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Now_And_Then on December 13, 2019, 06:19:07 AM

I have a SY-300 - my second purchase of such, after buying, not liking, and selling the first in very quick order - and this statement caught my eye: are you keeping the SY-300 because it has capabilities which you think are missing in the SY-1000? Because I am pretty close to selling my SY-300, under the impression that I don't need the duplicated and redundant functionality that it will soon represent.

It does seem like everything that's in sy-300 is inside sy-1000 more or less with a little extra options but there is a function I think that is awesome and a major thing to have that isn't in sy-1000, the blender option. It's so powerful for coming up with new things. I don't think of it as a cheat, but just something that helps you along the way. I think keeping SY-300 for that alone is worth it but then again I'm a huge fan of blenders and randomizers :D

BROCKSTAR

But then again they could I guess perhaps add a blender / randomizer in the new BOSS TONE STUDIO app. My behringer deepmind 12 synth has a blender thing in the app but not on the unit. I dislike it more in the app to be honest but it's better than nothing! I'm going to go add that to the wish list, although I'm not sure how many people would care for that except me and maybe very few others or people just don't know how good it can be!

BROCKSTAR

"( I think the 1/4 input polyphony is solvable with time,  effort and money)"

Not to be negative again or repeat myself again (sorry), but I really do think it's doable but it's more effort and money than anything else. The world is on repeat right now more or less in my eyes and has been for awhile. We're losing grounds on originality in everything because consumers seem to want repeat items, options etc.. and companies do it.

We're making a wish list of options we've already had before, nothing innovated or new really etc.. Yeah I'm guilty too as I just put the blender option from sy-300 in there lol.

I understand the wish list though, it's things we love dearly from other products but I think the shift and focus should be on NEW things and that is what disgruntled me about this new sy-1000. It's a box of repeats and nothing innovated or new in my eyes... and I guess I was just looking for the next big thing like how sy-300 came into play and shook up the guitar synth world for a bit in the beginning, but people seems comfortable with going backwards or staying the same and I scratch my head about it all, wondering why are we happy in repeat.

Sorry I tried wording my words to not sound negative and just make a comment :\ Just my thoughts is all. However with that said I will get sy-1000 someday i am sure, it's gonna happen either way lol. I am a little excited inside along with the disappointment believe it or not :P lol.

rsm

I've been happily using my GT-1 + SY-300 as my main board for a few years. Then Boss has to do this, and disrupt my nirvana  ;D

SY-1000 is very tempting, I can do it all in one box, and more (I have a GP-10 too).  I have one guitar with an integrated hex pickup, and two GK-3 guitars.

Resistance is futile, I will succumb eventually.

<sigh>
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

whippinpost91850

Yes. but still no upgrade , replacement for GR55

whippinpost91850

Quote from: admin on December 12, 2019, 04:11:01 PM

And I can answer most questions, as Roland  / Boss is providing me with an early initial run version very soon.

This is good!!!!!!

JiveTurkey

Next up if the stars align as I hope; GK driven PCM player. I'll gladly get my amp and effects elsewhere.

ffata

Quote from: chrish on December 13, 2019, 05:37:16 AM

For bonus points, name the artist and what synth was used for the elephant sound.
Adrian Belew
He used his beat up Strat with flanger and fuzz, I think a Big Muff. The flange setting is the key. Sliding up the neck to a note (not sure which) and got that elephant sound.

rsm

Can the normal pickup 1/4" input be used as input into the OSC without using the hex input? Similar to how the SY-300 works?

Looking at the signal diagrams, the "Normal" input goes through a different path, then the manual states the following for the INST block "This is the sound engine section that generates sound based on the performance data from the divided pickup and the audio input from the
guitar (bass).
"  - does this mean it works like the SY-300 as input to INST if set to OSC?

???
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

admin

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 13, 2019, 07:11:45 AM
But then again they could I guess perhaps add a blender / randomizer in the new BOSS TONE STUDIO app. My behringer deepmind 12 synth has a blender thing in the app but not on the unit. I dislike it more in the app to be honest but it's better than nothing! I'm going to go add that to the wish list, although I'm not sure how many people would care for that except me and maybe very few others or people just don't know how good it can be!
No equivalent I can find for the SY-300's Blender control on SY-1000
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf

admin

Quote from: rsm on December 13, 2019, 08:20:47 AM
Can the normal pickup 1/4" input be used as input into the OSC without using the hex input? Similar to how the SY-300 works?

Looking at the signal diagrams, the "Normal" input goes through a different path, then the manual states the following for the INST block "This is the sound engine section that generates sound based on the performance data from the divided pickup and the audio input from the
guitar (bass).
"  - does this mean it works like the SY-300 as input to INST if set to OSC?

???
Yes- below is separate 1/"4 Normal Pickup Guitar Input ONLY Patch signal routing resources.
the input source is switchable from:

* the 1/4" Guitar Input

or
* the Normal Guitar signal feed on GK 13 ( Pin 7)   

admin

Quote from: ffata on December 13, 2019, 08:19:59 AM
Adrian Belew
He used his beat up Strat with flanger and fuzz, I think a Big Muff. The flange setting is the key. Sliding up the neck to a note (not sure which) and got that elephant sound.

Go to 2:16 min

whippinpost91850

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 13, 2019, 08:18:04 AM
Next up if the stars align as I hope; GK driven PCM player. I'll gladly get my amp and effects elsewhere.

This would be Awesome,  I already own a Kemper

JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey

So can the 1/4" input drive the oscillators like it can on the 300? Or have those capabilities been moved over to GK only? I've looked at the 17 signal chain diagrams and have gotten a headache and that's about it  ??? ;D

rolandvg99

Quote from: Now_And_Then on December 13, 2019, 06:19:07 AM
...are you keeping the SY-300 because it has capabilities which you think are missing in the SY-1000? ...

Atm you can't stack multiple OD/DS blocks like in the SY-300. What I like about SY-300 is 4 equal FX blocks, albeit it could use a few more.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

rolandvg99

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 13, 2019, 08:44:58 AM
So can the 1/4" input drive the oscillators like it can on the 300? Or have those capabilities been moved over to GK only? I've looked at the 17 signal chain diagrams and have gotten a headache and that's about it  ??? ;D

You can drive the Dynamic Synth with a regular PU.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

whippinpost91850

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 13, 2019, 08:41:12 AM
Me too. The GR/Kemper combo works great for me.

Sure does :)  I still need to post a picture of the New Stage/ Gr55 board I just built

JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on December 13, 2019, 08:49:19 AM
Sure does :)  I still need to post a picture of the New Stage/ Gr55 board I just built
Nice! I have the power rack. GR55 racked on top of it. I control it all with a Microdesignum MidiGrande. Small battery powered board with expression pedal up front, single midi cable to the back. Guitar and synth all over single 13  pin cable back to the rack. Love it!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 13, 2019, 08:52:20 AM
Nice! I have the power rack. GR55 racked on top of it. I control it all with a Microdesignum MidiGrande. Small battery powered board with expression pedal up front, single midi cable to the back. Guitar and synth all over single 13  pin cable back to the rack. Love it!
COOL
I have a Toaster and remote  and a Stage, and 2 GR55's.  Both are set up in Cases and boards I made out of ultralight plywood