Installing Gk-2 on a Strat

Started by Brojon, September 24, 2019, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brojon

Hopefully my VG-88 will actually arrive tomorrow.  I found one on fleaBay advertised as V2 under $300.  The vendor apparently had some personal issues but as I said - on its way.
So - finally found my Gk-2 (not 2A) from my GR-50 and dang it all still works!
Except the mounting spacers and such are not in teh best of shape.
But - that's ok I think - I fretted on the top fret 1st and 6th, measured and it's a 1.5mm clearance.  The manual says 1mm but I'm thinking 1.5 is just dandy. 
Two choices:
1 - mount using double-sided tape which might bring it up a hair
2 - just screw it down - no big deal it's an aftermarket plate anyway.

Opinions on clearance and mounting are more than welcome.

admin

Get a spare Strat pickguard / scratchplate for mounting the GK-2 PU ( save / store  the original Fender Strat Pickguard)

GK-2 PU should have 1mm string height above the GK-2 PU   - AFTER you fret all strings at 21st fret is ideal

GK-2 Installation Manual (PDF)
http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/roland/gk-2/owners_manual/gk-2_om.pdf

mooncaine

In a pinch, a guitar pick makes a good thickness gauge, because it has a thickness printed on it. I don't know how accurate, but at least this much is true: if you use guitar picks to 'jack up' your GK pickup, you'll have plenty of choices, thick or thin.

Brojon

Sorry but y'all misunderstood.
I've installed the darned thing previously on a Mexican Squire - I know how to do it.
The question is my spacers are boogered up and stuck together. It so happens that on my current American Strat - with aftermarket pickguard - the height is 1.5mm with no spacers.  Trying to make a .5mm spacer is a trick and I was wondering if slightly more than 1mm would be acceptable.  If I use double sided carpet tape that will raise it some fractions of a mm getting it close. Or I can just screw it down since I don't care about this pickguard - but only if 1.5mm will give me a good signal.

Brojon

Quote from: mooncaine on September 24, 2019, 05:26:25 PM
In a pinch, a guitar pick makes a good thickness gauge, because it has a thickness printed on it. I don't know how accurate, but at least this much is true: if you use guitar picks to 'jack up' your GK pickup, you'll have plenty of choices, thick or thin.

Yep I have a Clayton that's 1mm.  The Dunlops I have are .73 and .6 so no good there.  All teh other Dunlops and shop picks have logos and no thickness.  My Fenders say either light or medium then my grippy Fenders are .73.  So nothing I can use as a spacer - but good idea!

admin

Quote from: Brojon on September 24, 2019, 07:06:40 PM
Sorry but y'all misunderstood.
I've installed the darned thing previously on a Mexican Squire - I know how to do it.
The question is my spacers are boogered up and stuck together. It so happens that on my current American Strat - with aftermarket pickguard - the height is 1.5mm with no spacers.  Trying to make a .5mm spacer is a trick and I was wondering if slightly more than 1mm would be acceptable.  If I use double sided carpet tape that will raise it some fractions of a mm getting it close. Or I can just screw it down since I don't care about this pickguard - but only if 1.5mm will give me a good signal.

Often you may compensate for the greater distance between GK PU and bottom of strings ( which yields lower GK PU output level) by raising the GK String Sensitivity gain settings on the host GK processor ( VG-8, GR-33, GR-55, GP-10, etc)

However string clearance above the GK PU greater than 1mm = higher susceptibility of adjacent string crosstalk, which is a major source of mistracking/ mistriggers of bad notes and warbles during DSP Alt Tuning.

Brojon

Quote from: admin on September 24, 2019, 07:16:25 PM
Often you may compensate for the greater distance between GK PU and bottom of strings ( which yields lower GK PU output level) by raising the GK String Sensitivity gain settings on the host GK processor ( VG-8, GR-33, GR-55, GP-10, etc)

However string clearance above the GK PU greater than 1mm = higher susceptibility of adjacent string crosstalk, which is a major source of mistracking/ mistriggers of bad notes and warbles during DSP Alt Tuning.

Yeah that's what I was worried about.  Dang. I was hoping that .5mm "too high" would be close enough.   I guess I'll use the carpet tape since it'll get me pretty close.  Even the shims Roland supplied were pretty thick and I seem top recall getting some buzz on the higher frets.

admin

Quote from: Brojon on September 24, 2019, 07:14:00 PM
Yep I have a Clayton that's 1mm.  The Dunlops I have are .73 and .6 so no good there.  All teh other Dunlops and shop picks have logos and no thickness.  My Fenders say either light or medium then my grippy Fenders are .73.  So nothing I can use as a spacer - but good idea!

Get a few of these  - use as 0.5mm Shims under the GK PU

IMHO - All guitarists should also own a set of Calipers

$9.90

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Caliper-Adoric-Calipers-Measuring/dp/B07DFFYCXS/

mooncaine

Agreed, and remember to always take the battery out when you put it away.

Brojon

Quote from: admin on September 24, 2019, 07:49:55 PM

Get a few of these  - use as 0.5mm Shims under the GK PU

IMHO - All guitarists should also own a set of Calipers

$9.90

Not sure what this post was about - clearly I'm misstating something somewhere.
I have a garage full of tools including several calipers and micrometers plus dial indicators.
I measured the distance with a precision machinists rule which seemed to be the easiest and best tool for the job.
Problem with calipers is the weight and friction of the movement can inadvertently deflect the string giving an erroneous reading using the depth probe.  Plus it sits on top of the string meaning I have to subtract the string diameter from the reading.
With the rule I can just press at top fret, place rule on hex pickup and read it right off the rule at the bottom of the string.
Anyway - I figure I'll scan the pickup and make a 3D printed shim exactly the thickness I need and just screw it down.  I'll position first with carpet tape to test the unit out and who knows?  Maybe it will be just right. :)

Brojon

Quote from:  philjynx on September 25, 2019, 07:48:39 AM
I doubt Steve was suggesting using calipers to measure the string/pickup gap, they are invaluable for measuring the distance from bridge saddle to pickup centre, especially for those of us with shite eyesight. I've just converted my lathe to digital readout and the difference is huge.

FWIW on my strat I have washers under the GK screw on the high E side and a coil spring on the low E side I've found this allows fine adjustment of the GK pickup height. It would be nice if the GK pickup were a little more sophisticated in this regard, seems a little flimsy and built down to a price (or in a hurry).

For the string height I would have thought a feeler gauge would be the most likely candidate - you could, of course, print that.
I'm just used to my rule - it's like a 3rd hand, an old Starrett with leather case.
I agree with the pickup feeling flimsy. I always worried that where the wire goes in could be a failure point.
I always wondered how you would use the springs that supposedly came with the mounting kit.  Mine didn't come with any.
I wish I had more clearance.  I suppose I could raise the action at the bridge but I like it where it is.
Feeler gauge would be ok to verify but not so much for finding out how far - which is what I'm trying to ascertain.
But - you reminded me I have some stainless shim stock in a drawer.  I reckon stainless wouldn't affect the magnetics much.
I saw a fella in GB on fleaBay that makes a non-destructive mount that uses two screws on the pickguard to mount.  His is SS so I guess must work ok?

Brojon

Just as an FYI I remembered this stuff used on FPV drones to stick little circuit boards to each other.
The stuff I've used was thicker but in fact they make a .5mm thick version!
.5 mm gel tape

Shingles

I have just today installed a GK pickup (actually an Axon AX101 - rebadged Yamaha G1d) on a PRS NF3 that has a Strat style scratch plate or pick guard. The hex pickup is flat on the pick guard, with a screw at the treble end - I effectively drilled an extra pick guard screw hole - and a small piece of double sided foam tape ('number plate tape' in the UK) under the bass side, where it over hangs.
Spacing to the strings is not perfect: maybe too close on treble side and certainly too far on bass side, but with careful adjustments to GK sensitivity and distance from bridge in my VG99, performance is as good as any of my other GK equipped guitars.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Brojon

Quote from: Shingles on September 25, 2019, 12:42:40 PM
I have just today installed a GK pickup (actually an Axon AX101 - rebadged Yamaha G1d) on a PRS NF3 that has a Strat style scratch plate or pick guard. The hex pickup is flat on the pick guard, with a screw at the treble end - I effectively drilled an extra pick guard screw hole - and a small piece of double sided foam tape ('number plate tape' in the UK) under the bass side, where it over hangs.
Spacing to the strings is not perfect: maybe too close on treble side and certainly too far on bass side, but with careful adjustments to GK sensitivity and distance from bridge in my VG99, performance is as good as any of my other GK equipped guitars.

Good to hear!  I don't recall it being overly picky about the spacing but I couldn't remember.

Brojon

Stuck the pickup down and it worked pretty good.
I need to get contact cleaner after the 13 pin as I was getting some squeaks and wonks if it moved.
Very few mistriggers and seems the VG-88 is far better at accepting bends than the GR-50 ever was.
I'm posting a few questions in another post but it appears everything functions as it should and I'll have the pickup mounted properly when my tape comes in today.
Thx folks!

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Brojon

Quote from: gumbo on September 26, 2019, 07:53:52 AM
...might pay to have a good read of these threads, too...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19481.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13234.0

HTH..cheers from Oz,
Peter

Some good info there!  I have some decent contact cleaner so not a big deal.
Too bad so many things have disappeared - like that right angle 13 pin - I'd like that a lot.
Thanks!

admin

QuoteToo bad so many things have disappeared - like that right angle 13 pin - I'd like that a lot.

Order new one here

PRIMOVA - GK-13 - Codesmart's Excellent GK 13 pin Cables
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13234.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13234.msg189952#msg189952

gumbo

Quote from: Brojon on September 26, 2019, 08:17:20 AM
Some good info there!  I have some decent contact cleaner so not a big deal.
Too bad so many things have disappeared - like that right angle 13 pin - I'd like that a lot.
Thanks!

Steve beat me to it regarding the right-angle jackplugs...
...remember also (vested interest declared) that the jackplug is only HALF of the problem....   ;) ;)

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...