GT-40 at a Gig : Review

Started by pasha811, August 17, 2019, 12:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

At the beginning of June, I was asked to play guitar for a Music School Show based on singers.
With other friend we assemble a band to play about 7 songs. I remember many posts telling to keep the GT-40 away from stage as a drummer will bury it. The drum was a Roland V-Drum, so in the assumption to keep the volume low I decided to bring the GT-40 instead of the GP-10 (to be hooked to the PA). As we all know the GT-40 has a stupid flaw in not having a line out but only headphone out that shuts the speaker off.   Being blues / rock I had two presets only. No switch board.
After the sound check the volume was at 70% and Master at 50%. Pretty solid sound IMHO, filling the small club room nicely.
I also had to play the Bass so I got with me a MicroMark 801. Nothing except Drums, Vocals and Piano went through a PA. The other friend guitarist brought its own self-built tube amp 40W.
All seemed good but when the little club room was filling up with people I had to crank up the volume as the PA guy was signaling me I was too low. I ended up 90% Vol and 100% Master. I sure made a mistake in not using any Overdrive effect to obtain a saturated sound but I liked the sound of a modeled AC 30 high gained.
In the end the show went good but only because the V-Drum can be kept quiet. In any case the GT-40 is definitely an Home Amp.
The sound deteriorates at high volumes pretty quickly. Nothing to share with the good sound I got at home. Although I can understand Fender Commercial strategies here when not fitting the GT-40 with a separate line out to feed the PA, I think that it would not have trimmed sales of the big brothers GT-100 and GT-200 any down. GT-40 remains for very occasional stage use. .. In comparison the self-made Tube Amp was delivering! It was the lead guitar so that is expected to be good!
I could have placed a Mic in front of the amp but the little club  had to use all Mics for Vocals (8 mics!). I could have used the headphone out to feed the PA but at sound check time it really seemed enough. GT-40 it's supposed to be a stereo amp and 6.5" speakers cannot keep up with a single 12" or 10".
I love my little GT-40  ;D. Since December helped me improving my guitar playing as it's so easy to switch on and rock with fun.

Hope this little review helps
Pasha

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

admin

^ GT-40 not able to play loud enough at a real gig matches my experience

Even the original Roland Cube Street plays louder and becomes a better amp for small room gigs where the percussionist is using wrapped sticks
Real drums you need a Fender Super Champ XD/X2