Orange Crush 10 mod

Started by lespauled, August 13, 2019, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

Many years ago, I bought an Orange Crush 10 off eBay. It was just for testing guitars that I built or rewired, in compact way. Later on, I gave it to my son. For the last few years, he hasn't been using it, because the small speaker just can't deliver a great sound. Since it wasn't being used, I figured it's a great candidate for a little modification.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on people making modifications to their combos, using a standard guitar jack, and a switch. I didn't want to go this route, because if the switch is in the wrong (cab) position, and one is connected, it might cause problems.....or I'll get a message that something is wrong with the combo. I opted to not use a switch, and to use a jack that automatically switched to the cabinet if a speaker plug was inserted, or just use the combo's speaker if no plug was present.

A cheap $5 plug that eliminates the need for a switch, and any headaches that might cause.

The wiring took 5 minutes, with most of the time being preparation. I drilled out the metal back, and filed down any sharp edges. Cut the wires from the amp to the speaker, and attached them to the jack. Wired the jack to the speaker, and it was ready to test.

What a difference!!! I expected it to be better, but was amazed at how much better it sounded. With this switch, you play the amp without a cable, and it uses the internal speaker. Plug in a speaker cable, and you're using the cab it's connected to . A stunning difference. The difference between the 8" and 12" speaker is a dramatic difference.

For those thinking of doing the mod, definitely forego the switch, and got this method. Much easier, much cleaner, and you don't have to worry about the position of the switch.

I'm glad I did it. I may not use it, but it was a quick and easy modification, that gave me a sense of accomplishment. Way more fun than pulling weeds out of the backyard fence (because the neighbor doesn't maintain her yard :) )

quick demo, using my iPhone. You can hear the difference, but it really doesn't do, hearing it in person, justice

https://soundcloud.com/lespauledspresets/orange-crush-10-mod-sound-comparison

admin

Quote from: lespauled on August 13, 2019, 03:39:56 PM

Many years ago, I bought an Orange Crush 10 off eBay. It was just for testing guitars that I built or rewired, in compact way. Later on, I gave it to my son. For the last few years, he hasn't been using it, because the small speaker just can't deliver a great sound. Since it wasn't being used, I figured it's a great candidate for a little modification.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on people making modifications to their combos, using a standard guitar jack, and a switch. I didn't want to go this route, because if the switch is in the wrong (cab) position, and one is connected, it might cause problems.....or I'll get a message that something is wrong with the combo. I opted to not use a switch, and to use a jack that automatically switched to the cabinet if a speaker plug was inserted, or just use the combo's speaker if no plug was present.

A cheap $5 plug that eliminates the need for a switch, and any headaches that might cause.

The wiring took 5 minutes, with most of the time being preparation. I drilled out the metal back, and filed down any sharp edges. Cut the wires from the amp to the speaker, and attached them to the jack. Wired the jack to the speaker, and it was ready to test.

What a difference!!! I expected it to be better, but was amazed at how much better it sounded. With this switch, you play the amp without a cable, and it uses the internal speaker. Plug in a speaker cable, and you're using the cab it's connected to . A stunning difference. The difference between the 8" and 12" speaker is a dramatic difference.

For those thinking of doing the mod, definitely forego the switch, and got this method. Much easier, much cleaner, and you don't have to worry about the position of the switch.

I'm glad I did it. I may not use it, but it was a quick and easy modification, that gave me a sense of accomplishment. Way more fun than pulling weeds out of the backyard fence (because the neighbor doesn't maintain her yard :) )

quick demo, using my iPhone. You can hear the difference, but it really doesn't do, hearing it in person, justice

https://soundcloud.com/lespauledspresets/orange-crush-10-mod-sound-comparison

the current rating on the switch contacts on that Cliff / ReAn style 1/4" switch are OK for a 10 watt amp   - but any higher wattage may require a switch with a higher current rating.

Also most solid state amps will get fried if any Speaker connection gets tied to Chassis Ground (Katana, Vox, Marshall, etc)

I prefer the full insulated type

http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/products/1/4-jacks/nys2122
http://www.rean-connectors.com/zoolu-website/media/download/5830/REAN+Product+Guide

lespauled

Cool, thanks.  I ordered one and will be switching it out.

Mrchevy

That was an amazing difference. I have seen a few demos of little practice amps modded and connected to larger cabs and its amazing how much better they can sound. I saw one where they converted a Fender Frontman 15 to just a head and connected to a 4x12 cab. Wow. With the right speakers and proper inpedence  they can rival some high end amps.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

lespauled

The sad part is that the iPhone recording does not do the difference of "in the room" justice.  The difference is stunning.

admin

Quote from: Mrchevy on August 15, 2019, 06:22:26 AM
That was an amazing difference. I have seen a few demos of little practice amps modded and connected to larger cabs and its amazing how much better they can sound. I saw one where they converted a Fender Frontman 15 to just a head and connected to a 4x12 cab. Wow. With the right speakers and proper inpedence  they can rival some high end amps.

discovered this in 1996 with my Vox Pathfinder 15R  - feed my 12" Celestion G12-80 cab the amp became a fantastic experience - and much louder !2