Pass through capabilities of MIDX-20??

Started by MountainCraft, April 24, 2019, 07:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainCraft

I want to use my MS-3 to control my GP-10 (mainly PC messages) and my Whammy DT (also PC messages), but it would be cool if I could use an expression pedal to control the volume faders on my XR-18 mixer for the stereo outputs of both the MS-3 and GP-10..

Can the MIDX-20 pass CC messages from the MS-3 to the XR-18 via the regular DIN MIDI port? 

I'd have to make a MIDI splitter to send to both the XR-18 and Whammy DT (but not sure if the splitter would go before or after the MIDX-20)

The idea would be to have the expression pedal control a DCA (or IDCA) on the XR-18 in the same way a control surface is used...

I'd also want to send PC messages to the XR-18 to turn channels on and off, but I'm thinking if it can pass through CC messages from the MS-3 there, it can also pass PC messages too..

Essentially, I'm hoping to use the MS-3 as the MIDI host for the GP-10, the Whammy DT, and the XR-18 (and whatever other standard MIDI device I want to add in the future)..  Can the MIDX-20 allow all of this to happen? Pretty sure I could do it without the GP-10 or MIDX-20, but I need to add the MIDX-20 to allow the GP-10 to be controlled by the MS-3 too..

CodeSmart

Hi MountainCraft,
If I understood you correctly this is what you want to do:

PASS THROUGH/REPEATER
The arbitrary MIDI commands (PC and/or CC or multiple) sent from the MS-3 (programmed by BTS) will be transferred via MS-3 USB connector to the MIDX-20 (preferably the upper USB connector). The MIDX-20 will repeat and output these commands to the other USB connector (lower) to the GP-10 and to the 5-pin MIDI OUT connector.

MIDI SPLITTER (a.k.a MIDI Thru Box)
The 5-pin MIDI OUT is connected to a MIDI splitter (preferably active). The splitter is connected to the Whammy and the XR-18.
Note: You don't need a MIDI splitter unless you want the EV-5 to control both the Whammy and the XR-18.
Just connect the 5-pin MIDI of the MS-3 directly to the device not to be controlled by EV-5. The MS-3 actually sends MIDI both to 5-pin MIDI as well as the USB connector hi-jacked by the MIDX-20.

EV-5 PEDAL
The Roland EV-5 can be enabled to output any MIDI command (or multiple commands or channels) controlling any of the MS-3, GP-10, XR-18 devices (programmed by MIDX-20 PC Assistant program).

MIDX-20 FIRMWARE VERSION
Regardless of firmware version you flash into the MIDX-20 anything sent by the MS-3 will be repeated to the other ports, and regardless of firmware version the GP-10 will recognize PC commands and CC commands by ASSIGNS.

GP-10 Bridge is only needed when the GP-10 ASSIGNS is not enough, i.e. deep control.
MS-3 Bridge is only needed if you want to deep control the MS-3.

A risk identified is that when GP-10 sends PC-changes it might change the patch number of the MS-3 if they are using the same channel. This can be avoided by setting up the MIDX-20 properly (MIDI blocking or translation, something the MIDX-20 does very well).

I hope the above answers your question.
/Robert
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

MountainCraft

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 24, 2019, 03:36:33 PM
Hi MountainCraft,
If I understood you correctly this is what you want to do:

PASS THROUGH/REPEATER
The arbitrary MIDI commands (PC and/or CC or multiple) sent from the MS-3 (programmed by BTS) will be transferred via MS-3 USB connector to the MIDX-20 (preferably the upper USB connector). The MIDX-20 will repeat and output these commands to the other USB connector (lower) to the GP-10 and to the 5-pin MIDI OUT connector.

MIDI SPLITTER (a.k.a MIDI Thru Box)
The 5-pin MIDI OUT is connected to a MIDI splitter (preferably active). The splitter is connected to the Whammy and the XR-18.
Note: You don't need a MIDI splitter unless you want the EV-5 to control both the Whammy and the XR-18.
Just connect the 5-pin MIDI of the MS-3 directly to the device not to be controlled by EV-5. The MS-3 actually sends MIDI both to 5-pin MIDI as well as the USB connector hi-jacked by the MIDX-20.

EV-5 PEDAL
The Roland EV-5 can be enabled to output any MIDI command (or multiple commands or channels) controlling any of the MS-3, GP-10, XR-18 devices (programmed by MIDX-20 PC Assistant program).

MIDX-20 FIRMWARE VERSION
Regardless of firmware version you flash into the MIDX-20 anything sent by the MS-3 will be repeated to the other ports, and regardless of firmware version the GP-10 will recognize PC commands and CC commands by ASSIGNS.

GP-10 Bridge is only needed when the GP-10 ASSIGNS is not enough, i.e. deep control.
MS-3 Bridge is only needed if you want to deep control the MS-3.

A risk identified is that when GP-10 sends PC-changes it might change the patch number of the MS-3 if they are using the same channel. This can be avoided by setting up the MIDX-20 properly (MIDI blocking or translation, something the MIDX-20 does very well).

I hope the above answers your question.
/Robert

In my mind, I was connecting things like this..

MS-3 5pin DIN out > MIDI splitter
>1st output of splitter to Whammy
>2nd output of splitter to MIDX-20 5 pin DIN in> MIDX-20 USB> GP-10 USB in
>3rd output of splitter to XR-18

Expression pedal (EV-30) with one side connected to MS-3 and the other to MIDX-20 (or GP-10?).. Sometimes (depending on how the patch is setup) the pedal controls an effect (or volume) in the MS-3, other times volume for both MS-3 and GP-10, yet other times volume control for 2 (or three) linked pairs of faders on the XR-18 (or a DCA to do the same.. not sure if there's a way to access IDCA's in Mixing Station Pro to do that, but if so, that's the ideal route)..

An additional dedicated Expression pedal (probably EV-5) is a possibility for controlling the XR-18  DCA/IDCA fader..  and in that case, then the EV-30 would simply be plugged into both the GP-10 and the MS-3 and used for either depending on what a particular patch calls for...

I'm not really sure what the MIDX-20 does or is capable of.. I don't know what 'bridge refers to.. All I know is that it's the only way that the MS-3 can send PC messages to the GP-10..  I want to set up single button control for the whole pedal board, and from what I'm told, the MIDX-20 is the only way to get the MS-3 to control the GP-10...

If it is able (or required) to be connected together via the USB, then that opens up the MS-3's 5 pin DIN connection (as well as the MIDX-20's) for the Whammy and XR-18, no?  Until now, I hadn't even been thinking that way..

Would love to be able to do all this while the computer is connected to both the GP-10 and the MS-3 (editors/librarians/BTS), but that's probably wishful thinking.. Ideally, everything would be connected to the mixer/laptop via one USB and/or one MIDI cable and I could run the MS-3 to control everything and also run the editors on the laptop...  But I would think that that requires a USB hub, and from what I understand the MIDX-20 won't play nice that way..  (hate unplugging things and repatching to do that sort of stuff)...

So I'm not really sure how it all connects.. I only know what I want it to do (and even that is a little fluid).. Trying to eliminate what's not possible, so I know what is...

admin

QuoteI'm not really sure what the MIDX-20 does or is capable of.. I don't know what 'bridge refers to.

All MIDX-20 features are explained in sequence of development here (29 pages)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.0

CodeSmart

Your approach would work too. There's many ways to skin a cat.
To understand the MIDX-20 you need to read both of these manuals.

http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Manual.pdf
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Assistant.pdf

'Bridges' are optional Boss Device specific firmware extensions.
GT-1 Bridge - Required to control a GT-1 using MIDI.
MS-3 Bridge - Required to control a MS-3 using MIDI.
Katana Bridge - Not required for Katana native MIDI, but if available everything in Katana may be controlled (sneaky amps etc.)
GP-10 Bridge - Not required for GP-10 native MIDI, but if available more things of the GP-10 may be controlled.

Regarding the 5-pin MIDI in/out they can be setup for MIDI thru.

MountainCraft

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 25, 2019, 03:53:55 PM
Your approach would work too. There's many ways to skin a cat.
To understand the MIDX-20 you need to read both of these manuals.

http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Manual.pdf
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Assistant.pdf

'Bridges' are optional Boss Device specific firmware extensions.
GT-1 Bridge - Required to control a GT-1 using MIDI.
MS-3 Bridge - Required to control a MS-3 using MIDI.
Katana Bridge - Not required for Katana native MIDI, but if available everything in Katana may be controlled (sneaky amps etc.)
GP-10 Bridge - Not required for GP-10 native MIDI, but if available more things of the GP-10 may be controlled.

Regarding the 5-pin MIDI in/out they can be setup for MIDI thru.

Thanks guys.. Slowly reading through everything now..

Once ordered, how long does it take to get the device (Northern California)?
Hoping to have the moola within 1-5 weeks (more towards 1-2 weeks, I hope)..

Is 5 meters the longest cable available? (someone needs to make a coupler  ;D )

if ordered at the same time as the MIDX-20, is shipping free on the cable, and if not how much extra is the shipping on the cable?

Thanks,
Mark

CodeSmart

Quote from: MountainCraft on April 26, 2019, 06:05:14 AM
Thanks guys.. Slowly reading through everything now..

Once ordered, how long does it take to get the device (Northern California)?
Hoping to have the moola within 1-5 weeks (more towards 1-2 weeks, I hope)..

Is 5 meters the longest cable available? (someone needs to make a coupler  ;D )

if ordered at the same time as the MIDX-20, is shipping free on the cable, and if not how much extra is the shipping on the cable?

Thanks,
Mark

Shipping should be the same if total weight is less than 1kg.

Longest I have is 10 meter S-A.

Also have : 5 meter S-S,S-A,A-A, 3 meter S-S,S-A,A-A, 1 meter S-S, A-A, 0.5 meter S-S, A-A

Please contact me at sound@primova.se
(I don't check e-mails everyday because I also have a day job and a trying to have a normal life)

MountainCraft

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 26, 2019, 10:54:14 AM
Shipping should be the same if total weight is less than 1kg.

Longest I have is 10 meter S-A.

Also have : 5 meter S-S,S-A,A-A, 3 meter S-S,S-A,A-A, 1 meter S-S, A-A, 0.5 meter S-S, A-A

Please contact me at sound@primova.se
(I don't check e-mails everyday because I also have a day job and a trying to have a normal life)

Alright, cool!
(I hear ya about eMail. lol)