easelec

Quote from: Gurbz on August 15, 2019, 03:49:31 PM
Nailed it. It seems to be a sequential thing:

-turn off CC 16 (or 17 or 18, in this case boost/mod so CC16);
- activate MOD for example mod/octaver;
- select MOD from boost/ mod selector;
- select the right color (GRY)
- turn on CC16.

Repeat same sequence when selecting next effect. No more suprises in sound.

Now you don't have boost and mod at the same time but at least you have soundcontrol. It is not complicated to add a  option for simultaneous boost/mod though from this point.

I am finding that I don't need to use CC16. I can turn FX1 off/on with 60 00 01 40 V and boost off/on with 60 00 00 30 V

I can set the FX1 value knob by sending 00 00 04 27 V with a value from 52 to 100 (decimal)

This seems to be reliable.

I am not sure when it is necessary to send CC16. So far, I am only using it to load a new effect -- but am not even sure that is necessary.

Gurbz

Interesting!
lets try to swap layouts, can be done by mail but maybe also through the midi designer channel? Thanks for the input, I'll send a PM for mailadress.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

easelec

Quote from: Gurbz on August 17, 2019, 11:31:21 PM
Interesting!
lets try to swap layouts, can be done by mail but maybe also through the midi designer channel? Thanks for the input, I'll send a PM for mailadress.

I posted a query elsewhere to see if one can change the 'mod knob' level without its turning off the boost effect if it is on.

I think I have the answer about loading an effect into a particular slot. I looked at what the KatanaFloorBoard is sending out and the katana-sysex.txt

If I am interpreting things right:

60 00 01 41 VV (where VV is the effect number to load) loads the effect into 'memory' but not a particular slot

60 00 12 04 VV loads the effect into the MOD effect green slot
60 00 12 05 VV loads the effect into the MOD effect red slot
60 00 12 06 VV loads the effect into the MOD effect yellow slot

I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

It also looks like if you send the mod effect parameters directly (rather than using the virtual knob) that it doesn't interfere with the Boost effect on/off setting.

gumtown

Quote from: easelec on August 20, 2019, 02:20:26 PM
I posted a query elsewhere to see if one can change the 'mod knob' level without its turning off the boost effect if it is on.

I think I have the answer about loading an effect into a particular slot. I looked at what the KatanaFloorBoard is sending out and the katana-sysex.txt

If I am interpreting things right:

60 00 01 41 VV (where VV is the effect number to load) loads the effect into 'memory' but not a particular slot

60 00 12 04 VV loads the effect into the MOD effect green slot
60 00 12 05 VV loads the effect into the MOD effect red slot
60 00 12 06 VV loads the effect into the MOD effect yellow slot

I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

It also looks like if you send the mod effect parameters directly (rather than using the virtual knob) that it doesn't interfere with the Boost effect on/off setting.

I answered elsewhere that the Booster/Mod Knob is a control which sits above the individual Booster and MOD effects and controls both.
To control the effects separate, use sysx to direct control the effect on/off and levels instead of the Panel Knob functions.

The RED/GREEN/YELLOW options will change the effect 'type" parameter, with the booster effect, the other controls are all common to the booster types, but with MOD/FX, each effect has its own unique set of controls.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Gurbz

Got the raspberry pi installed, wireless bi-directional bluetooth midi.

Nice!
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Love my new controller gadgets for the Katana.
Checkout the new big knob. And yes, thats wireless preset handling Katana, raspberry works fine

Grtz,

Gurbz

vtgearhead

Quote from: Gurbz on August 24, 2019, 01:14:14 PM
Got the raspberry pi installed, wireless bi-directional bluetooth midi.

Can you elaborate more on this setup? 

Gurbz

Yeah, the link Easelec mentioned.

Easelec teamed up with me within the Katana Mididesigner department. Now there's two mididesigner/Katana dudes so things move up faster.
I tinkered around with the wireless Yamaha UD BT-01 which is a great device but not totally Roland compliant because the Roland stuff is not out of the box USB compliant. So Easelec got me on the trail of a raspberry PI which also RECEIVES sysex data and we exchange layouts since then.

The big knob you see is midi compatible and supports bluetooth BLE on IOS. I am fascinated by a big knob or any midi controller, being stuck to a guitar to control the Katana. Mididesigner supports this beautifully. (I just don't get that few people see the possibilities here. Stick an iPhone 5 to your guitar and you have an XY pad which can programmed for an unlimited amount of parameters through midi designer.)

Best thing to do is show th possibilities so that's why I regularly update Facebook an threads to get people on this track.
Keep asking.
Grtz,

Gurbz

sixeight

Nice work, Gurbz. And yes, working together on stuff is really awesome.

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Quote from: Gurbz on September 02, 2019, 08:37:57 AM

Easelec teamed up with me within the Katana Mididesigner department. Now there's two mididesigner/Katana dudes so things move up faster.
I tinkered around with the wireless Yamaha UD BT-01 which is a great device but not totally Roland compliant because the Roland stuff is not out of the box USB compliant. So Easelec got me on the trail of a raspberry PI which also RECEIVES sysex data and we exchange layouts since then.

The big knob you see is midi compatible and supports bluetooth BLE on IOS. I am fascinated by a big knob or any midi controller, being stuck to a guitar to control the Katana. Mididesigner supports this beautifully. (I just don't get that few people see the possibilities here. Stick an iPhone 5 to your guitar and you have an XY pad which can programmed for an unlimited amount of parameters through midi designer.)

Best thing to do is show th possibilities so that's why I regularly update Facebook an threads to get people on this track.
Keep asking.

I think @alancarl is working on something, too.

I am pretty close to having something shareable -- though it might be a little idiosyncratic to my personal needs way of working.

quad4

That big knob is cool. Where did you find the knob or what is it called?

Nice setup!

Gurbz

You asked the right question my friend. I messed around with a griffin powermate but that didn't work out. Then I found this bad boy that works almost right out of the box:

https://teenage.engineering/products/orthoremote

It is swedish, of course :D
Like my volvo or ikea kitchen
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

sixeight

Quote from: Gurbz on September 02, 2019, 10:35:27 AM
You asked the right question my friend. I messed around with a griffin powermate but that didn't work out. Then I found this bad boy that works almost right out of the box:

https://teenage.engineering/products/orthoremote

It is swedish, of course :D
Like my volvo or ikea kitchen

Very nice, but not cheap.
You know: I am one of those Dutch cheapskates...

Gurbz

Being also a dutch cheapskate I messed around with a cheap griffin powermate, 40 bucks.  ;D In the process of getting it to work I spend more then 16 hours and bought a few apps.  :o

The idea of midi control with a master
knob was just very cool.  8) Let 's call this R&D, I haven't seen anyone using it. I hate giving up but the griffin powermate just didn't have it. I sold it, got the new knob today and got back on track with MDP.

Bottomline is that quality hardware reduces time thus costs.

On top of that there is the law work-life balance. To charge energy and full fill work or other obligations you need to charge and refuel. Through hobby. It is ok to spend a few quid on that.

I rest my case. Goedkoop is duurkoop.
Grtz,

Gurbz

vtgearhead

Keep asking.

Thanks for your hard work on this!  I largely ignore Facebook, so postings here are helpful.

Gurbz

You want a copy of the layout?
I attached it.
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Btw, MDP is a little funny about how it opens files from the Files app (i.e. it doesn't work). When you download, putting it in Dropbox and opening from the Dropbox app seems to work -- or emailing it to yourself.

Also, fun thing I figured out this morning.

You can send taps to set the delay tempos.

For Delay 1, the sysex message is: 7F 01 01 03 00
For Delay 2, it is 7F 01 01 04 00

The tempo for D1 in response to the tapping is:
60 00 05 62  V V (where V V are two seven bit bytes for the milliseconds)

For D2, the response is sent as
60 00 10 50 V V

I am not sure if you have to be in BTS mode for those to work or not -- I spied them but haven't tried them

BTW, those sysex message need to wrapped with the usual Katana header bytes in front and need a checksum after.

easelec

Quote from: easelec on September 03, 2019, 11:58:50 AM
Btw, MDP is a little funny about how it opens files from the Files app (i.e. it doesn't work). When you download, putting it in Dropbox and opening from the Dropbox app seems to work -- or emailing it to yourself.

Also, fun thing I figured out this morning.

You can send taps to set the delay tempos.

For Delay 1, the sysex message is: 7F 01 01 03 00
For Delay 2, it is 7F 01 01 04 00

The tempo for D1 in response to the tapping is:
60 00 05 62  V V (where V V are two seven bit bytes for the milliseconds)

For D2, the response is sent as
60 00 10 50 V V

I am not sure if you have to be in BTS mode for those to work or not -- I spied them but haven't tried them

BTW, those sysex message need to wrapped with the usual Katana header bytes in front and need a checksum after.

I just tried it out and it doesn't seem to be working -- with or without BTS mode on -- but I might have done something wrong.

Gurbz

Short video update on the mididesigner pro wireless sysex layout, got a lot implemented in the summer season, 60% done. The wireless continuous syncing is a very nice feature.

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

It seems there's gonna be a great deal of movement in the iOS mididesigner katana department releases the upcoming months  ;)
Grtz,

Gurbz