Katana R&D - MIDI Designer for all Katanas (iPad) w/ Wireless control

Started by alancarl, February 22, 2019, 09:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurbz

Quote from: alancarl on November 12, 2019, 11:42:34 AM
FWIW I have noticed that the Yamaha BT-01 USB MIDI device is more robust RF-wise than the older single board computer.
Thanks and have fun!
Al

@alan I'm checking out some other single board computers or did you resolve the wireless midi latency issue already?
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

alancarl

Quote from: Gurbz on January 30, 2020, 10:43:53 PM
@alan I'm checking out some other single board computers or did you resolve the wireless midi latency issue already?

Hi Gurbz
       I have not solved this issue so far but I want to clarify that the issue is not a product of the BT wireless MIDI of the Raspberry PI because the same delay happens with a wired midi connection from the iPad to the PI....The issue is with the LINUX MIDI kernel where the system needs a steady stream of MIDI data to process the MIDI commands as they come in without the 'startup hiccup' delay that I noticed.
I suppose once you mess around with the PI and the Katana you can't help but noticed the lag when changing a parameter value.
FWIW I am successfully using the Pi MDPro Katana combination to great success on all of my gigs!!
It's a real game changer for my music!
Thanks Gurbz
Al

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

easelec

Quote from: alancarl on February 22, 2020, 05:42:07 AM
Hi Gurbz
       I have not solved this issue so far but I want to clarify that the issue is not a product of the BT wireless MIDI of the Raspberry PI because the same delay happens with a wired midi connection from the iPad to the PI....The issue is with the LINUX MIDI kernel where the system needs a steady stream of MIDI data to process the MIDI commands as they come in without the 'startup hiccup' delay that I noticed.
I suppose once you mess around with the PI and the Katana you can't help but noticed the lag when changing a parameter value.
FWIW I am successfully using the Pi MDPro Katana combination to great success on all of my gigs!!
It's a real game changer for my music!
Thanks Gurbz
Al

I suppose a solution is to run a script on the iPad that periodically sends some MIDI out just to keep the MIDI kernel listening.

alancarl

Hey Ed,
     It's been a longtime:-)
I have implemented a workaround  with MidiFire where I create a midi clock module at tempo 20 and send it to the Pi to keep the Kernel paying attention...works great but it's one more thing to 'turn on or initialize before the gig:-0
An automatically loading script would be great indeed!
Take care Ed and everybody!
Peace
Al