Fishman TriplePlay Connect - Guitar to MIDI over USB converter with iPad app.

Started by admin, January 25, 2019, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

QuoteI'm assuming the fish makes the transition from pitch to midi faster and more accurately than the current contenders, seems that way from what I've seen online.

its still the best hardware guitar to MIDI solution under $3K

admin

Smash

Some form of lock for the csble on the metal adaptor mount would give a bit of security to the micro usb plug. If the lead was tripped over at least it wouldn't pull the plug out

admin

just wrap it around the lower strap mount ( like i do with all my guitar cords since 1967

GraemeJ

Quote from: Shingles on January 29, 2019, 01:19:06 PM
How about actually playing it?

🙄

Quite so.  What right-minded person would buy this device on the basis of this 'demo'?

admin

the iPad app can enable  / disable "Monitor Hand Position"- ( see lower left corner )

Quote. Hand position monitoring only refers to a software algorithm which prevents false triggering of high pitched notes (which are especially problematic when audio clips are assigned to them) by estimating the left hand position based on the latest notes that were played.
And for FC-1 owners there is a FC-1 Control Assignment screen

mos6507

Quote from: admin on February 02, 2019, 07:09:23 AM
There is a proximity sensor in the guitar mounted Tripleplay Connect Controller that detects picking hand position

How is that supposed to work?  Is it something you wear like a ring?

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

admin

Quote. Hand position monitoring only refers to a software algorithm which prevents false triggering of high pitched notes (which are especially problematic when audio clips are assigned to them) by estimating the left hand position based on the latest notes that were played.

mos6507

Quote from: admin on February 02, 2019, 02:09:13 PM
. Hand position monitoring only refers to a software algorithm which prevents false triggering of high pitched notes (which are especially problematic when audio clips are assigned to them) by estimating the left hand position based on the latest notes that were played.

That sounds like a Leap motion sensor.  I'm sure they put that in for a reason but I'm just having a hard time understanding how such a sensor could detect actual picking as it would be looking more at the palm of the hand.  But if it DID work then it would be one reason not to move such a unit to the floor to receive 13-pin input.  It would also be a feature this lower-cost unit has that the higher-end item doesn't, which would be weird.  So I'm really curious if this actually works in the field.

EDIT, you know what this might actually be?

You know how the Axon can tell how far from the bridge you pick by analyzing the harmonics on the pick transient?  That's how it can do pick-splits.  I'm wondering whether that's what it means by "hand position", which wouldn't require a new sensor.  But I don't see a direct connection between where you're picking and the likelihood of there being a false trigger--or actual hand position for that matter.  I suppose if the picking is happening close enough to the bridge then you're not doing any palm muting so it's more likely to generate false triggers and therefore it's watching out for them more?  That's all I can think of.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Smash

Have we got auto level calibration choice yet or is it still manual only?

zjanosy

Quote from: admin on February 02, 2019, 02:09:13 PM
It appears to be built in to the Connect Controller box , the side  facing the bridge has some kind of non contact  IR / capacitance sensor

it's only upon review of my photos a week after NAMM that I read all the texts on that Tripleplay Connect config setting menu and saw the enable disable " Monitor Hand Position"

This is pure speculation. The LED simply blinks when there is MIDI traffic. There is no proximity sensor inside. Hand position monitoring only refers to a software algorithm which prevents false triggering of high pitched notes (which are especially problematic when audio clips are assigned to them) by estimating the left hand position based on the latest notes that were played. While this feature is useful in many situations, it may prevent playing notes by tapping or quickly changing hand position, therefore it can be turned off.

Zoltan

admin

Thanks for the clarity !

Will this feature work when the original Tripleplay Hardware is connected to the IOS iPad App ?

zjanosy

Quote from: admin on February 04, 2019, 10:05:33 AM
Thanks for the clarity !

Will this feature work when the original Tripleplay Hardware is connected to the IOS iPad App ?

This feature is implemented in the Connect's firmware, not in the iPad app, and it is ported back to the Wireless system, too. I don't know when the update for the Wireless TriplePlay will be released, but stay tuned.

Zoltan

admin

Quote from: Smash on February 22, 2019, 08:49:47 AM

IOS12 has done for my CPU usage on my iPad so when I upgrade (to a new Ipad) I will revisit MG2 poly again.

I know its the Apple IOS planned obsolescence train - MG2 requiring IOS12 will prevent my use ( shame it cant run on IOS 11)

Same goes for the new Fishman Tripleplay Connect - if its IOS12 only - Many may never use it   

of course IOS 13 is on the horizon
https://bgr.com/2019/02/22/ios-13-rumors-dark-mode-iphone-home-screen-volume-hud/

PeterPan8

What's make Connect different than the actual TP v. 1.4?

And si Fishman planning an upgrade for the actual TP?

admin

Tripleplay Connect Features

* Wired USB Class Compliant "MIDI over USB" connection only (no Wireless)
* Tripleplay Connect IOS App  -which also configures the Fishman FC-1 Foot controller
* No Win/Mac Software bundle
* Street $200 USD target 2nd quarter (May 2019 )

In theory -  one could configure Tripleplay Connect using the iPad app - User settings get saved inside the flash memory inside the small oval shaped Tripleplay Connect hardware box ( with the large up/down buttons) 

then you could connect this via USB to your Mac/Windows/Android /Raspberry Pi/Linux rig ( Like any any USB Class Compliant  MIDI controller)

Blueswaite

Wonder if they will make this app work with wireless Tripleplay really like what you can do with this app. I use an iPad Pro 10.5
Thanks

Blueswaite

Well I watched a video on it and the guy said it works seamless if you have the wireless which I have. Can't wait for it to get on the App Store

2pods

I have the original TP, only have PC, android tablets and phones, plus one lone Korg synth, so don't think there's anything in this for me.

I'm more worried that Fishman may discontinue my original version.

Incidentally, what happens when the battery wears out in the original ?
Can a new one be retrofitted ?
Also, my Korg synth has a USB "Host" socket. Could I use the original TP with this?
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

kenact

Quote from: 2pods on April 06, 2019, 03:51:59 PM
Incidentally, what happens when the battery wears out in the original ?
Can a new one be retrofitted ?

I have 2 of the Godin TriplePlays. The battery died on one, and it was a fairly simple matter to have it replaced. Granted, this is not the wart, it's the built in TriplePlay, but it should be pretty much the same. These units are using a cell phone battery.

There is another thread on this site that discusses the problem.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

2pods

Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

kenact

Quote from: 2pods on April 07, 2019, 03:07:25 PM
So the Godin TP ? Piezo?

The Session Custom TriplePlay is magnetic, the Montreal Premiere TriplePlay is piezo.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

phals2002

admin

Quote from: phals2002 on April 22, 2019, 04:26:08 PM
Its 23rd of  April already and no announcement yet?  :)

I understand Fishman TriplePlay Connect - release has been moved to summer 2019  - so ask again in August ;)

Smash

Don't want connect - just want the app!

They could release app in advance for existing FTP users :)

Incentive could be large user base to debug prior to connect release :D