GP-10 - Getting intermittent Not Connected Messages (GK CONNECT)

Started by Steve-cc, January 23, 2019, 12:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-cc

GK-3 connected to GP10 via 13 pin cable. I have been getting the "Not Connected" message popping up on the GP10. 
It happens with both of my cables which I naturally suspected first. 
It seems to me to be related to the volume knob on the GK-3. If I dial the volume up the message goes away.  It seems to only happen when the knob is adjusted to low.  To workaround the problem I have been forced to turn the volume dial on the GK up and the volume dial on the GP down then stay away from the volume control on the GK. 
The not connected message sometimes is accompanied by loss of sound - but not always. 
Have any of you heard of this kind of problem before?  A search of the forum came up empty.  Would love to hear your thoughts/ideas.

admin

Save all patches

Then perform a GP-10 RESET

gumtown

Ensure you have the correct "GK" type selected in the "GK Set" setup menu.
Also try the "GK Connect" setting from "auto" to "On"
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

carlb

If none of the above: Opening the GK3 electronics housing and giving that 10k pot a spritz with DeOxit has a very high chance of solving your problem.

If not that, then it could be solder touch-up around the pot, or might have to create a lead-jumper if you have a hairline crack going.

I haven't soldered to one of these boards, so I don't know how much of a pain it would be ...
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Steve-cc

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will let you know.

gumbo

True, 13-pin jackplugs CAN give connectivity problems...
...BUT, if the problem just happens to be in the JACK itself, there is a chance that exchanging the cable will not improve the situation.

At this point I will acknowledge that I have obvious interests in alternative jacks, but let's just move on a bit...  ;)

The 13-pin jackplug contains 13 'pins' that are small in diameter...these have to make (good electrical) contact with each of 13 (minutely-sized) 'sockets' in the jack itself...the only moving parts in this scenario are the metal segments within each 'socket' that do the work of grabbing each pin and holding them sufficiently tightly to pass muster on the conductivity of the miniscule electrical impulses from one piece of equipment to another.

If one of these sockets does not behave as designed because either its internal surfaces are oxidised or (possibly) physically distorted through use or inadvertent abuse, 'drop-outs' are prone to occur....

Since the entire Roland system of connection ALSO relies upon a viable 'ground' connection of the outer metal shell of the jackplug to the corresponding (single) spring-loaded ground contact within the Roland jack, the same possible causes can occur here as well.
....and if the 'ground' connection goes down, EVERYTHING stops.

Without knowing the history of the (external?) GK pickup you are referring to, I would suggest that you first read and follow (in detail) the procedures outlined in the thread about cleaning of jacks and jackplugs here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

FWIW, you may just need to consider also similarly cleaning the contacts within the Roland jack on the GP-10, as unexpected resistance within the connections at that point could also cause the symptoms you describe.

Remember that you are dealing with very small electrical currents and it doesn't take a lot of cr@p to get in the way of signal transmission, and thereby cause intermittent circuit failures.

Work through the entire system progressively in this manner, and note any changes in performance as you go...

Report back with your findings so we can continue to help you.

HTH
Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Steve-cc

Since checking to see if I have "the correct "GK" type selected in the "GK Set" setup menu" and changing the  "GK Connect" setting from "auto" to "On" were the easiest I tried them first. 
GK type was correct. 
As soon as I changed  the  "GK Connect" setting from "auto" to "On" I stopped getting the "not connected" messages even with some serious wiggling and volume dialing. 
While using the volume to see if the message would appear I noticed that my volume did not change smoothly. I also felt some roughness in the dial.  Actually it was hearing roughness in the sound as dialing.  Not tactile sensation and not sound of dial itself but rather the sound of my strings thru the amp as the dial was moving.
Anybody else have similar experience?
BTW - I have had problems that appeared to be related to dirty pins and have done some cleaning in the past.  This seems different but  I will do some more cleaning and inspecting of the pins.

Steve-cc

Changing GK Connect setting to ON instead of Auto has eliminated my issue. 
Anybody have any thoughts about why this is/was necessary? 
If there are any downsides to it?

admin

Quote from: Steve-cc on January 31, 2019, 03:04:49 PM

I have been getting the "Not Connected" message popping up on the GP10. 

If you use GK-3, typically what you report  is due to a marginal pin #9 connection on the GK Cable
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.0

thus the importance for regular GK 13 cable maintenance and care 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19481.0

Set GK Connect to OFF, when you want the Normal Guitar 1/4" Input to be Active, and set to AUTO ONLY if you have a genuine Roland GK-3 type pickup and want the GP-10 to switch to the GK 13 pin input anytime a 13 pin cable is inserted into the GP-10

Set  GK CONNECT to "ON" if you always use a 13pin guitar with GP-10

gumtown

Quote from: Steve-cc on January 31, 2019, 03:04:49 PM

Also if the GK type selected in the GP-10 does not match the type you are actually using.
The pin 9 has a control voltage, which is a different voltage for each different GK pickup type/model.
If the pin 9 voltage does not match the expected range, the GP-10 can assume the GK is not present.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/